Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 01:27 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times

Advertisements

Im not the least bit surprised. LAUSD is the worse school district in the nation but thats alot of citations. The cussing citations are abit over the top.
http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2..._citations.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 03:25 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,393,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Im not the least bit surprised. LAUSD is the worse school district in the nation but thats alot of citations. The cussing citations are abit over the top.
LAUSD Police State? School Cops Reportedly Issue About 30 Citations to Kids Each Day - Los Angeles News - The Informer
Why? I think that school is about learning and children are there to learn not only basics, but also how to behave in the real world. Cussing, tardiness, and graffiti are not acceptable at work, why should they be in school?

I do not allow children in my world to swear. I have no issues with a school district that has the same expectations.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:28 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
Glad I graduated long ago before this started happening. It's not only LAUSD that's a police state, but also the state of California and the whole United States.

This seems like corruption at its finest at LAUSD.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Glad I graduated long ago before this started happening. It's not only LAUSD that's a police state, but also the state of California and the whole United States.

I agree but nothing will change. Corruption is all over even in the private sector. Look at dirty wall street & the oil companies. Many people just close their eyes & imagine themselves in a perfect world.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:16 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post

You must not have traveled much if you think the U.S. is a police state. Ever been to China? There are real police states in the world, but the term is thrown around quite casually.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:57 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,126 times
My what a coincidence, there was a similar report in New York City, except they went the more inflammatory route of claiming that arrests are targeting minorities.

As a teacher of 24 years, I can say with complete confidence that whtever numbers you see are BELOW what should be happening. The level of disrespect and misbehavior in schools is the worst I have seen in almosta quarter of a century.
Children, and by that I mean ages 6-12, have no problem cursing at an adult or outright refusing to follow directions. That includes rules and regulations regarding safety that teachers must obey.
It's very fashionable to make believe children are completely innocent and naive. However that is not the truth. As somenone who is considering a move to LA and possibly seeking a position with LAUSD, I have studied the statistics. The truth is very complicated and subject to many interpretations.
By the way, I can assure you that if they are issuing 30 citations in the entire LAUSD system, they are probably addressing about 5% of the actual cases that merit citation.
Everyone criticizes school, but ask yourself, when you see a large group of teenagers in the street or mall, do you feel nervous?

Old 05-31-2012, 01:00 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,622,415 times
Only crazy civil rights leftists and wacko libertarians would think that issuing citations in a controlled academic environment is tantamount to a "police state." Honestly, if parents are that outraged they should pull their kids out and homeschool them or send them to private school. I remember back when i was in elementary school in the 80's it was still common to find old-school teachers who would yell, berate & embarrass slacking & disruptive kids, and even shake & grab their heads & scream straight into their faces until they got the message. One kid called my 4th gr teacher a N**-word B*ch and she took the vase on her desk & threw it against the blackboard, shattering it in a million pieces & issued a stern warning to anyone who thought they could use that kind of language in class.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:45 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
LAUSD is the worse school district in the nation but thats alot of citations. The cussing citations are abit over the top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Why? I think that school is about learning and children are there to learn not only basics, but also how to behave in the real world. Cussing, tardiness, and graffiti are not acceptable at work, why should they be in school? I have no issues with a school district that has the same expectations.
I agree wholeheartedly. It seems that people, especially younger, would like to see all authority and civility done away with. But be careful what you ask for. Doing away with rules and authority could mean that there might not be anyone available to respond when you dial 911 after your precious iPod, iPhone or Scion turns up missing! As corny as it may sound, laws and rules legislated and enforced properly like these, are intended for the safety and well being of us all.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:31 PM

Are kids today worse then the ones say 10, 20, 30 or 40 yrs ago ?

Old 05-31-2012, 03:54 PM

142 posts, read 272,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
Only crazy civil rights leftists and wacko libertarians would think that issuing citations in a controlled academic environment is tantamount to a "police state." Honestly, if parents are that outraged they should pull their kids out and homeschool them or send them to private school. I remember back when i was in elementary school in the 80's it was still common to find old-school teachers who would yell, berate & embarrass slacking & disruptive kids, and even shake & grab their heads & scream straight into their faces until they got the message. One kid called my 4th gr teacher a N**-word B*ch and she took the vase on her desk & threw it against the blackboard, shattering it in a million pieces & issued a stern warning to anyone who thought they could use that kind of language in class.
I graduated in 2007 and had 2 teachers like that and you know what even though they were like 80-ish they had no disruptions no foul language and people were hardly ever late to there classes. I remember one time a kid was late to her class she made the kid do a push up for every 10 seconds he was late. Another time one kid spoke out of turn she stopped the class and made him go up front and stand with here for the rest of class. But you know what they were great teachers one retired the year I graduated and the other is still there and has been teaching since the 60s and she is more respected then the security and thats saying something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles