Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 08:38 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times

Advertisements

When I saw the lines "LAUSD Superintendent Calls for “Cultural Revolution”" - I thought "Oh my! The Communists are taking over"

In all seriousness, it's just a PR job having the superintendent ask more from employees: Los Angeles Unified School District

As Richard Geib notes, the teachers mostly perform a good job, yet failure still happens!

"In retrospect, I am much more philosophical about the whole experience. The Los Angeles Unified District was mostly doing the best it could; most teachers were doing their job as best they could; most parents truly loved their children and wanted the best for them. There was room for improvement, but everyone (especially Principal Esther Rivera) was already working pretty hard. Yet still most kids were not learning, or at least not learning very much - neither in Spanish nor in English. The average seventh grader at Berendo was perhaps reading and writing at a third or fourth grade level; I was basically an elementary school teacher teaching middle school students. I worked my brains out to move my students up approximately a grade level per year and I resented people telling me I was not doing my job because these kids were so low skilled."

See: Los Angeles Unified School District: Inner-City Teacher Blues

Yeah, if only LAUSD could make Mao Zedong, Joseph Stalin, and V. I. Lenin come out from the grave and rule the worst LAUSD schools with iron fists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 09:49 PM

636 posts, read 2,644,751 times
Teachers get a raw deal - they get blamed for low performance of underprepared students. Then folks wonder why they leave the job in droves.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:17 PM

As Geib says: "I worked my brains out to move my students up approximately a grade level per year and I resented people telling me I was not doing my job because these kids were so low skilled."

The LAUSD students need a "cultural" revolution. The district needs to grow some balls and admit that the communities stymie THEIR work and the district will bill uncooperative parents and "refer" troublesome students to boarding schools without the say of the parents.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:33 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Lots and lots of kids have useless parents that don't give a sh*t if their kids stay in school and learn anything. Until that changes, LAUSD will be ruled by "garbage in, garbage out".

Old 09-06-2007, 08:39 PM

How about this?

The state of California could create super-strict military boarding schools for trouble-makers. A parent may refer a child to a boarding school for any length of time.

HOWEVER, the school districts may be authorized to use boarding school as a "punishment" in extreme discipline cases for people under 18. If a parent makes no appeal or is uncooperative (Not legally uncooperative as in aiming to reform the kid's behavior, I mean uncooperative as in does not pay attention to discipline problems) - The state may send armed men to "kidnap" the individual at his or her school or on the street and place the individual on a plane to the boarding school. The parent will be told that the child has been placed at the boarding school at the ruling of LAUSD and that the parent will be required to pay tuition until the child reforms or turns 18.

Also, LAUSD should make two different types of secondary schools - "Graduating" schools such as university-preparatory high schools and CATE schools, and "basic" schools that require students who failed middle school to learn basic skills before going to high school. If the students stay in "basic" school, they have no hope of graduating.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:43 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
How about this?

The state of California could create super-strict military boarding schools for trouble-makers. A parent may refer a child to a boarding school for any length of time.
Then-Mayor Tom Bradley advocated this in the early 80s and was laughed at. Not that he would have had the power to do so even if he was taken seriously.

Quote:
Also, LAUSD should make two different types of secondary schools - "Graduating" schools such as university-preparatory high schools and CATE schools, and "basic" schools that require students who failed middle school to learn basic skills before going to high school. If the students stay in "basic" school, they have no hope of graduating.
Sort of like the UK system of "grammar schools" and "secondary moderns"?

I think it's probably time to phase out the comprehensive high school in general. It just drags kids down to the lowest level. Comprehensives should be broken up into smaller, specialized high schools.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:54 AM

636 posts, read 2,644,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
How about this?

The state may send armed men to "kidnap" the individual at his or her school or on the street and place the individual on a plane to the boarding school. The parent will be told that the child has been placed at the boarding school at the ruling of LAUSD and that the parent will be required to pay tuition until the child reforms or turns 18.

This will NEVER happen. NEVER!

And low wages probably correlate with children who do poorly in school. Good luck trying to get tuition out of their parents.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:59 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Can someone explain to me what a 'cultural revolution' is as it pertains to the LAUSD? I feel so dirty and ignorant for not getting it.

And I agree that HS should not be the only choice for students - there should be vocational schools available in the place of HS for those students who don't intend to go to higher education or don't have the brain power to do so.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:46 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Can someone explain to me what a 'cultural revolution' is as it pertains to the LAUSD? I feel so dirty and ignorant for not getting it.

And I agree that HS should not be the only choice for students - there should be vocational schools available in the place of HS for those students who don't intend to go to higher education or don't have the brain power to do so.
perhaps you didn't get it because that speech was pure admino-babble: "guided principles"; "research and data driven"; "parent engagement programs"; "create vision"; blah, blah, blah! education bureaucrats are very adept at prattling on for twenty minutes, and saying absolutely nothing. remember, these are the same people who boast when the kids they're supposed to educate make a "jump" from the 25th to the 27th percentile on standardized tests. it's not supposed to make sense; it's just supposed to sound good.

(and shouldn't the phrase be guiding principles?)

Old 09-07-2007, 03:08 PM

218 posts, read 708,430 times
ok ok let's get to work now....,,,...,,, LAUSD-Employee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles