Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 02:23 AM

11 posts, read 23,627 times

Advertisements

Hi! I currently live in Denver and my husband just got a job offer to LA and we have 2 weeks to move to Calabasas. Is this a good area to live in? We have been searching for rental properties but have seen nothing but negative comments. Any help with this move would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 04:28 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,341,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredtoMovetoLA View Post
Hi! I currently live in Denver and my husband just got a job offer to LA and we have 2 weeks to move to Calabasas. Is this a good area to live in? We have been searching for rental properties but have seen nothing but negative comments. Any help with this move would be greatly appreciated.
Calabasas is the suburbs. It's waaaay out from L.A. Come look at rentals in person. It's the only way. Don't judge L.A. by what you hear here, this board is a magnet for negativity. Come check it out for yourself. It doesn't take long for people to decide if they love it or hate it.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:51 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,021,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
Calabasas is the suburbs. It's waaaay out from L.A. Come look at rentals in person. It's the only way. Don't judge L.A. by what you hear here, this board is a magnet for negativity. Come check it out for yourself. It doesn't take long for people to decide if they love it or hate it.
I completely agree Excellent response.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:51 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,805,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredtoMovetoLA View Post
Is the job in Calabasas? If so, then Calabasas and west like Agoura, Thousand Oaks, Westlake are all safe family oriented places. Not a place for single, night life types - too boring. All of these places are pretty expensive (which we would assumed you have already checked into). The schools in these places are really good too. In general, when someone is in a rush, it seems like a good idea to rent so you can check things out for yourself. Hopefully the employer provides some sort of relocation assistance.
If the job is in downtown LA, then the commute from Calabasas will be really rough unless you can do a 6-230 type thing.

You would help yourself by providing more information like rental price range, kids, exact location of job, etc.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:21 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,328,487 times
I think a lot of the negetive feedback for the LA forum is for Los Angeles the city and only particular areas of the suburbs. Calabasas, like many other small suburbs of Los Angeles are totally different then the city of LA. If I did ever move back to the LA area Calabasis would be one of my first choices. The schools are good, the area is pretty but it is costly. I sure wouldn't let much of what you read here scare me. Once you see the area yourself your fears will be gone. The location is great. I have written negetive posts here myself about the LA area but it was about the San Fernando Valley, where I lived for 20 years. Calabasas is not at all like some of the other areas of Los Angeles. It is a good area.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:35 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,975,442 times
You should also consider Woodland Hills. Its right next to Calabasas and the rental properties are a bit cheaper. I worked for a large company in Calabasas and when I hired people from other states, we suggested that they look at Woodland Hills, Westlake and Agoura for apartments.

If you have high school aged kids, El Camino Real which is one of the best schools in the country is right there as well.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:24 AM

Thank you so much for the responses! It is so much appreciated. Going to see the area is something that I hope to do this weekend. Everything happened so fast!
We have 2 small children and would like to get something within the rental price range of $1500 and $2100 (if possible) we currently pay $1400 for a 3 bedroom here in Denver. But we would be willing to move into a smaller place for the sake of getting something safe and nice. It has just been so hard to find anything at all.
Thank you so much for the info that Calabasas is a suburb. That is exactly where we would like to move to. We are young but (with 2 small children) adore boring and safe. We also wanted to know about the reality of earthquakes!! I know that seems like a cliche question, but it becomes very real looking at 2 weeks!

Last edited by ScaredtoMovetoLA; 10-01-2007 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: Add

Old 10-01-2007, 11:40 AM

There is a 100% chance of earthquakes. People always ask about earthquakes when moving here. Hopefully, the "Big One" (an 8.5 - 9.5 6 minute quake) one happen in our lifetime, but you can guarantee on experiencing earthquakes.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:47 AM

Yikes!

Old 10-01-2007, 11:54 AM

Dont worry. You'll get used to them. My wife is from Russia and hates earthquakes. Everytime we have one I'll throw my arms up like Im riding a roller coaster and say "Weeeeeeeeeeee!!!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles