Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2007, 11:17 PM

100 posts, read 564,111 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about transferring to CSULB and am wondering if anyone has any info on what their experience was or is like there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 05:52 AM

369 posts, read 1,960,968 times
I went to Long Beach State about 20 years ago. It is an ok school, but I am not sure I would go on about how amazing it is / was. It depends on what you are looking for. It is a very large school with a huge commuter student body. It never really had that sort of "college-y" feel to me. Did I get a degree, sure. Do I think it was a well rounded college experience, no. I did join the greek system in order to have a social life, and that helped. Otherwise, at the end of the school day, everyone just gets in their cars and goes home. The area around the school is nice, and you can get an apartment or house for a fair amount. Belmont Shore is a nice little local spot with restaurants and bars, so there is a bit of nightlife available. Honestly, it is all what you are looking for...can you tell me more?

Old 10-02-2007, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the response, I kind of got the feeling that it is the way you described it, having looked at it the other day. I'm not from the area so I would be moving to go there so I'm not sure if its what I want since it doesn't have much of a campus feel as you say.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:25 PM

916 posts, read 3,701,030 times
CSULB has changed a lot. More students living on campus with plans to add more housing. Plus while many commute, there is a lot of heavily student populated apartment complexs in the area. It is a big school but it is the best school in the CSU system. If you get involved in something you'll feel like it's a smaller campus. And Belmont Shore is great.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:07 PM

79 posts, read 286,089 times
I attended CSULB in 1990-1994 and took Comp Sci.

I commuted from 10 miles away and traffic was ok.

I was too absorbed in finishing that I did not get involved networking with others.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:21 PM

1,072 posts, read 845,402 times
Attended in 1980-1984

Loved it.
Didn't love the commute thru the South Bay Curve and PCH was tooooooo long a detour .

Belmont Shores nice indeed.

Try out for sports if you can.
It makes the campus alot smaller to see so many familiar faces every day even if they are (also) sleeping in the student union !!
lol !
I was on Crew for winter season one year and my coach told me to
"sleep in class ! don't be late for practice !!!" when practice started at 4:30 am !! I got myself a calculator with an alarm so I could sleep in between classes and not be late to the next class. When my crew team room mate for the year told me I talk in my sleep I abrubtly stopped the library /S.U. snooze time ,LOL!!
Those were the days .

Enjoy yours to the fullest !

Old 10-02-2007, 07:12 PM

83 posts, read 220,993 times
I loved CSULB as well. As I understand they've added a few new buildings; one a science building, the other I'm not certain about though it's in the engineer's parking lot.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRes View Post
CSULB has changed a lot. More students living on campus with plans to add more housing. Plus while many commute, there is a lot of heavily student populated apartment complexs in the area. It is a big school but it is the best school in the CSU system. If you get involved in something you'll feel like it's a smaller campus. And Belmont Shore is great.
I see it is ranked the highest of any CSU's, its kind of a surprise since others are more impacted, it looks like they have a lot of clubs and things to join I'm definitely considering it since it'd be nice to start going to a "real" college instead of a junior college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles