Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 10:53 AM

2 posts, read 3,362 times

Advertisements

Would anyone give me an advise moving into El sereno area?
I was looking for single house in Highland Park near York Blvd. However, the price went up a lot and it is really hard to find right size house in this area with my budget(under550k). My agent recommended me that it is better to look for little further to El sereno area. I recently saw one property and liked it. It was right next to El sereno elementary school. However, I never lived this area. I mostly lived in Koreatown in LA. I am not sure this area is safe or not. Would you please share your opinion about this area compare to Highland Park? I really appreciate in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 12:21 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
When people ask about El Sereno, or Highland park, I always recommend the area I live in, which is called Hermon.
It is east of Highland park, kind of northwest of El Sereno, and south of South Pasadena.
Great area with mostly single family homes.
You might want to check it out.

Bob.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:38 PM

908 posts, read 1,302,670 times
El Sereno is a dumpy area with fairly high crime roughly on par with Highland Park over the last 5 years. However, I'd say Highland Park is a better option in that is gentrifying, as reflected in its higher home prices, and there's more in terms of amenities. There really isn't much in El Sereno and I don't see the area becoming gentrified any time soon. Plus, it's adjacent to other parts of east LA that aren't so great.

I don't recommend El Sereno, but if you decide to look in that area, try to find something that is right near the South Pasadena border.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:01 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,362 times
The difference is that El Sereno is not on track for gentrification--and Highland Park is rapidly gentrifying right now.

Cal State LA could have given El Sereno and nearby East LA areas a boost, but the school is literally a fortress on the top of a hill, not being a part of the community or anything.

Highland Park's gentrification is fueled by the Gold Line... the train station puts HLP on the map, and people with money are "discovering" the area.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:27 PM

401 posts, read 767,291 times
It may be too far north for you, but NW Pas is seeing a burgeoning wave of gentrification.

The good thing is you'd be completely surrounded by nice areas and close to Old Town Pas. So, once gentrification has run it's course, you'll be in a pretty contiguously large nice area.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,275 times
I live by El sereno elementary school , and when I move to El sereno from Korea town 12:years ago , I was scare when I move in because there where a lot of driveby shootings , helicopters going on all night long almost every single day living in Korea town. I kind of got used to choppers flying all over due to crime , so it wasn’t new to me , 12 years has past and it seem se like gangs , crime , drugs if any , have desapear, there is peace around , you walk anytime ,day night and you won’t see crime or winos , I live happy here in El,sereno . Like Korea town used to be with crime and all elmsereno used to de .

Old 04-13-2019, 12:07 AM

37 posts, read 30,016 times
I flip in El Sereno and we have had no issues.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:47 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
OP, google "the Eastsider."
It's a news edition that deals with all of the areas of the northeast.
Plenty of real estate in all of these areas listed on the insider, plus news of what's going on in these areas.

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles