Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:49 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,865,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Dubai, Miami and most Latin American cities have sunshine all year also and they have impressive skylines. The constant sunshine is not an excuse to have a small skyline like Downtown. Wilshire from Downtown to Westwood is mostly tall and medium height buildings anyways. Skyscrapers might not work, but more meduim height to taller buildings from Downtown to Westwood would add a bit of vibrancy.
Yeah I can get behind this... It is really starting to happen too. Don't level Hancock Park though.

And I have no problem with LA's skyline - the good news is it is going to get better in the next few years, new tallest plus a handful of medium-height skyscrapers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 11:25 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,203,668 times
I like high rises, but enjoyable urban environments are all about scale. This is exactly why in NYC the village is a more popular place to live than midtown or downtown. Same for Santa Monica vs downtown here in LA. Its also why the mega cities in China will never have the appeal that European cities have. There is definitely a happy medium to be found somewhere between detached houses and 15+ story buildings that is most appropriate for LA's landscape.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:08 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
Why are so many people so infatuated with population density?
I think that "so many people" aren't - only the OP, perhaps.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:32 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,570,627 times
LA doesn't need any more skyscrapers when many of them have staggering vacancy rates, and especially those in downtown; a government which spends tons of taxpayer money so unnecessarily when there's tons of vacant office space in downtown LA like the MTA Taj Mahal which was built when Arco Plaza was 60% empty.

However, with a pro-development government fixated on infill projects at the expense of the middle class, more density within the inner city is well underway for our wealthiest residents.

The fact that our city is pathetically short of parks thanks to being run by developers isn't a good thing either for most of us.

Suburbia isn't dying under any circumstances; folks who started fleeing to the suburbs forty years ago and the 3,500,000+ who have been leaving the entire state for the past twenty years thanks to the progressives in Sacramento still want to raise families, send their kids to good schools as opposed to inner-city schools for obvious reasons and pursue the American dream, which is why California's skyrocketing child shortage will be devastating for our state's future finances, which are already in a world of hurt.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:34 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,486,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Imagine if LA had a skyline like Dubai that spreads from Westwood from Downtown. It would look mighty impressive. Having a skyline ranked #34 in the US ain't cutting it.

LA Skyline Ranked Number 34 (Right Below Minneapolis) - The Skyline - Curbed LA
Why does a skyline matter, and who are these people doing the ranking? Who asked them anyway?

LA's skyline is the LEAST of its problems. Those are some awesome pictures, though.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:17 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
I agree.

It's not surprising that la doesn't have the most impressive skyline

It's more spread out than a lot of cities so downtown isn't where all that action is .

Also skyline for asthetic reasons really is the least of our worries .

I think we should focus on blight which seems to have risen in many areas .

Enforcing the laws or codes on the books regarding signage etc
Could go a long away. Making business owners and landlords responsible ...
Like they do in other cities.. No it's not a novel idea .

I think the city needs to stop focusing on the next big downtown la mega project or stadium and clean up the city .

I have been told directly by many city employees that the city is too lenient about enforcing the codes on the books .

The city looks tackier and tackier every day, and it is a shame .

Old 03-24-2013, 09:25 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,570,627 times
Area-wise it's the fourth largest city in the USA, so a dazzling skyline isn't a necessity under any circumstances because very few people live there, and it still lacks a ton of amenities that are essential for most of us; having a single grocery store as well as a Target going into the old Macy's @ 7th & Hope is a start, but where are all the parks?

Old 03-24-2013, 10:12 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,422,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I agree.

It's not surprising that la doesn't have the most impressive skyline

It's more spread out than a lot of cities so downtown isn't where all that action is .

Also skyline for asthetic reasons really is the least of our worries .

I think we should focus on blight which seems to have risen in many areas .

Enforcing the laws or codes on the books regarding signage etc
Could go a long away. Making business owners and landlords responsible ...
Like they do in other cities.. No it's not a novel idea .

I think the city needs to stop focusing on the next big downtown la mega project or stadium and clean up the city .

I have been told directly by many city employees that the city is too lenient about enforcing the codes on the books .

The city looks tackier and tackier every day, and it is a shame .
Amazing what you'll trick yourself into believing when you hold a negative opinion of a place. The notion that L.A. looks MORE blighted and tacky now vs the 80's is absurd.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:13 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Have you been to the valley lately ?

Old 03-24-2013, 10:35 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,422,622 times
Have you been to DTLA, Hollywood, Koreatown, Venice, Echo Park, Etc. lately? All areas that have noticeably cleaned up since the 80's. Even SM and WeHo were grimy then. Now they're like Disneyland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles