Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 10:59 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
I've lived here my whole life and share his opinion.
Meh. Some people like it, some don't. I know one guy whose parents and grandparents were also born and raised here, along with his four siblings. He still was in love with the city. After 100 years over here (three generations), I'd be bored to death but he insisted he didn't find the same diversity anywhere else, NYC was too small for him and SF less to do.

Whatever you'd like, an HS friend of mine said the same thing, "Wish I were born and raised somewhere else. Stuff here gets boring after awhile." I guess so, plus there's way too much competition in the job market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 11:54 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,419,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
That "[he] wakes up and sees mountains outside [his] window"? That was in his first post in this thread, and you might want to change "be" to "he". Sorry dear, I don't think LA is the place for mountains. Read again.

"I also love LA! Despite the high living cost and the traffic, I really enjoy living here. Coming from the east coast, it still blows my mind to wake up in the morning and see mountains outside my window."

Where does it say L.A. is known only for mountains? That's right, nowehere. Your rant was unnecessary.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:20 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post

"I also love LA! Despite the high living cost and the traffic, I really enjoy living here. Coming from the east coast, it still blows my mind to wake up in the morning and see mountains outside my window."

Where does it say L.A. is known only for mountains? That's right, nowehere. Your rant was unnecessary.
Again, that was the first thing he mentioned, which was what his post seemed to imply. There was no rant, I'm not sure why you and some posters here seem to think I'm always PO'd. There are other things besides mountains here and we don't have the best mountains, get over it. Talk about making a big deal out of nothing.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:45 PM

153 posts, read 288,081 times
This is a positive thread and is weighing in my own decision about moving there. I was thinking of spending few days (two weeks) there for vacation but vacation isn't the same as living so...

Moderator cut: see note

Last edited by Count David; 10-31-2012 at 05:25 AM.. Reason: personal between members

Old 10-28-2012, 09:03 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Definitely visit if you are on the fence. It helped me tenfold.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:12 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Now that the Kings are Stanley Cup Champions
They are? Shows how much attention I pay to hockey.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:16 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
that is why people live in small homes on small lots, not large houses with a great size lot.
That's strange. I could have SWORN our Morningside Park and Windsor Hills houses were large homes on huge lots.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:25 PM

153 posts, read 288,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Definitely visit if you are on the fence. It helped me tenfold.
Really? Where did you move from? And did you ever regret moving to LA?

Old 10-29-2012, 06:17 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,636,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Exclude the crazy cost of living and you have yourself the best city in the USA.
The thing is though, LA isn't even as bad as NYC, San Diego or SF as far as cost of living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserX View Post
OK, everything?! You love traffic? I love it here too, except for the flippin' traffic!!
All depends on where you live and work. If you have to work far from where you live than I guess that's an everyday frustration. Even when I lived in the Valley and work in LA or lived in LA and went to school in Valley I never experienced the traffic that people talked about because I was always going against. Plus, the metro system is getting better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
nothing wrong with your dream, but it could be just that. L.A. has a lot to offer, but it isn't all rosey like you think. Parts are dirty, like any major city, traffic is a nightmere most of the time, it is crowded, housing is out of site, that is why people live in small homes on small lots, not large houses with a great size lot. The weather is nice, but it can almost be boring. Being close to some of what you like is certainly an appeal, but being close to Mexico isn't always what you might think and much of what you say it is close to is the same thing: beaches and the pacific ocean, same, Hollywood and Los Angeles, that same. Why is living near Beverly Hills so wonderful? Do you think seeing movie stars is what makes a place great?

Yes, there are things to like about L.A. but I think you are seeing the city through the eyes of a child or you are watching way too much TV. Visiting is very different from living ina place. I do hope, someday, you will inherit a fortune so you can afford to live there.
Nah, everything she said is great. I've been here since 98' and I love it more everyday. Nothing wrong with being next to Mexico for some people--that's about perspective. Why are you hating on her love, let her enjoy the thought of it and if she moves and doesn't like it, then good. I never get you negative people. But wait let me guess you're just being realistic? There's a way to do that without sounding like you're raining on someone's parade. How is good weather boring? What's bad about knowing you can have a picnic anytime without worrying about cold, rain, or heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb90 View Post
It gets up to the upper 90s in the summer. Everyday.

I feel like roast pig :/
Uuugh, that's not most of LA buddy. That's the Valley and some eastern parts but for the most part that's not even statistically accurate. It's really only really "hot" (warm really, Socalifornians are spoiled) like 2-3 weeks combined otherwise the summers are usually 80-85, no humidity and a cool ocean breeze. By 5pm you need a jacket or sweater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
I recently spent a week in the Kansas/Nebraska/Oklahoma area for work, and boy did I miss LA. I'm not going to bad mouth those areas cause they are what they are, but I feel pretty fortunate to live here and will gladly live in a smaller apartment and sit in my car an extra 15-20 minutes in traffic everyday for the opportunity to be a part of this city.

But I will say that the way a person perceives a city is totally dependent on how their life is going at the time, their social life, relationship life, employment life. You could be in the most happening city in the world, but if you're broke, unemployed, no friends, and no girl will date you, well then you're liable to say "This city ******* sucks".
haha, I'm originally from the midwest and I totally agree with you. I love living here. My wife and I talk about it all the time, if we never buy, that's fine so long as we die here. I'd rather do that than have a house and etc., in some boring red state (no offense, this is just my opinion and preference and different people like different places). I like the culture, weather and fun here. People say LA is over-crowded but it's so spread out. It's not like NYC where there's always people everywhere. You can turn a corner and there would be no one on the streets even. In LA they've filmed movies in neighborhoods adjacent to the traffic and sprawl and it looks like its some place in the midwest. That's how LA is, it's got everything!

Quote:
That "[he] wakes up and sees mountains outside [his] window"? That was in his first post in this thread, and you might want to change "be" to "he". Sorry dear, I don't think LA is the place for mountains. Read again.
I think what he was getting at was that you missed his point. He is just talking about the landscape. You over focused on one part of the post. LOL!

Quote:
Meh. Some people like it, some don't. I know one guy whose parents and grandparents were also born and raised here, along with his four siblings. He still was in love with the city. After 100 years over here (three generations), I'd be bored to death but he insisted he didn't find the same diversity anywhere else, NYC was too small for him and SF less to do.

Whatever you'd like, an HS friend of mine said the same thing, "Wish I were born and raised somewhere else. Stuff here gets boring after awhile." I guess so, plus there's way too much competition in the job market.
I always tell people born and raised here to get out for a little bit. You'll be back. Not much compares IMO but I can see why you might say that.

Quote:
Again, that was the first thing he mentioned, which was what his post seemed to imply. There was no rant, I'm not sure why you and some posters here seem to think I'm always PO'd. There are other things besides mountains here and we don't have the best mountains, get over it. Talk about making a big deal out of nothing.
LOL, I can see why someone might think you made a big deal over the mountains because of what you said. When i read your post I too thought, YOU made a big deal over the mountains but I just moved on until I saw homie call it out. I think you just have to step outside of yourself and see it from other's point of view. The guy just said "coming from the east coast" and you decided to make it seem like he said that was the only thing in LA. I don't think Rich is making a big deal but he's prob frustrated that you don't see how you made a big deal of the mountains. I find it funny and kinda eccentric personally.

Last edited by Count David; 10-31-2012 at 05:28 AM..

Old 10-29-2012, 07:09 PM

810 posts, read 1,342,512 times
People like to say LA is like Mexico...but it isn't. Having a high Mexican population doesn't make a place "like Mexico".

I'm second-generation Hispanic, and I can tell you, Mexico, like most of Latin America (exception being Spain and a few of the whiter South American countries)....is very conservative and still straitjacketed in terms of mentality...their idea of fun is usually parties with extended family and that's it. LA is a cosmopolitan city on an international level. It simply cannot be "too Mexican" for this reason alone.

A place really "like Mexico" would be El Paso TX. Houston also feels significantly more "Mexico" than LA in my opinion. Dallas somehow escapes it, but outside those ritzy Park Cities or Collin County suburbs it can also feel very Mexican.

I think LA is strangely more like Chicago in this aspect...even with there being more parts that are very Mexican than Chicago (In terms of overall numbers, not percentage, Chicago is #3 in terms of Hispanic population in the US after NY & LA). There's edge suburbs like Aurora IL (pop. 200k) an hour from the city that are nearly half-Hispanic in Chicagoland, yet the metro never gets this rep of being "too Mexican".

LA in my opinion just feels way too diverse overall to really be considered a "Mexican" city, and it seems like the unnassimilated Hispanics everyone complains about (typically Mexican/Salvadorean or north Central American recent arrivals) stay in certain parts of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles