Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 01:51 PM

5 posts, read 12,511 times

Advertisements

no stay away from this area. belmont shore/heights are great. no matter what color, sexualilty you are. mostly white within the 5 mile radius but no one cares what color you are as long as you are a good person.
i live in belmont heights and have been here 20 years. i am moving back to pennsylvania in april as i have had my fill here. i am 40, had a good time and a lot of adventures here but i want to be able to afford a home with an actual yard, have my kids away from the materialism that is so pervasive here and i am sick of my taxes going to illegal immigrants. i would never live inland and i would stay away from the orange county and greater la areas. as far as family living goes ventura, camarillo are nice and some areas down in orange county are good (carlsbad/ san clemente) but you are going to pay $$$$$. the house we bought in penna (next to one of the best schools in central pa,) would be worth a couple of million here. we paid 320.000
good luck and look in the grunion gazette for apartments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by find5470 View Post
Is this area any good?

loc: 616 Orange Ave at 7th st Long Beach CA US - Google Maps

616 Orange Avenue, (Orange & 7th St)

Old 10-30-2007, 02:53 PM

61 posts, read 210,677 times
Thx,

I just got to Long Beach last night, did the drive from NY in 4 days.

Looking at apartments today.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:49 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Quote:
Thx,

Congratualations!!! How was the drive? Did you stop in Vegas at all.

Be sure to check out Cragislist.com while you are here.

You came at a great time. You get to experience our "winter weather" of low 60's for highs and 50's for lows...BRRRRRRRR. Then, this weekend, you get to experience the warm winters of 70's degrees. Too bad you missed last weekend when we had fires. The fire part was bad, but we had great weather. Here at the beach where I live in West LA, it was 93*. Long Beach was probably around 95-97*. It's great here though, because it's dry heat. It's not humid, and you have the beach right there. At night, in my city, at midnight, it was 80*. The only place hotter than my city in the country was Key West. It's days like that you know you're in a great place.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:41 PM

The drive was ok, I wish someone had warned me about driving thru mountains and rocks for hours on the I-70W and I-15S, and with no street lights .

I'm worn out, and I seriously need rest, but have to look at apartments.

Spent the whole of today looking at apartments and driving thru neighborhoods.

Belmont Shore is really nice, shame most of the for rent signs are for 3 bedrooms.

Everyone drives like crazy over here, like it's a race.

I've also noticed something kinda weird, I've been in Long Beach for almost a full day, and I'm yet to see a cop .

I've seen 7 postmen though - lol.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:25 PM

Woops, sorry about I-15. It's a horrible freeway to be on at night.

About the way people drive, in a race, it made me laugh the way you said it. To us we don't drive fast, but to outsiders we do. You can tell who is a tourist-ones that go the speed limit on the freeway.

You came at a bad time for traffic. Our busiest freeway got almost completely shut down from a deadly accident and it has affected almost the entire city. That's probably the main reason for the traffic, people just need to get places and are tired of traffic for even more hours than usual. It took my mom 15 minutes to go 2 miles to get home after dropping me off at school.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:52 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,695 times
Quote:
Thx,

Congratulations! Welcome to LA!

Quote:
I've also noticed something kinda weird, I've been in Long Beach for almost a full day, and I'm yet to see a cop .

I've seen 7 postmen though - lol.
That's funny. I've heard other people new to LA or who are visiting from other parts of the country make that observation. For an area that is as vast and overpopulated as LA county, its cities are generally under policed.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:19 AM

Some random pictures I took yesterday in Long Beach - Long Beach Pictures (broken link)

where's the cheapest place to get gas?

Old 11-01-2007, 10:33 AM

76 posts, read 243,288 times
Welcome find5470! I too recently made the move from NY (okay, northern NJ!) to Long Beach. What do you think so far? I really like LB for the most part and Belmont Shores is definitely the most appealing part for me. I currenlty live downtown which has some good aspects, some not so good. I live in one of the new loft buildings they're throwing up left and right, which is nice but the neighborhood really doesn't exist yet. What's nicest for me is that I just have to walk across the Albertsons parking lot and I can hop on the Blue Line to get to work in downtown LA. As a former New Yorker, I really appreciate not having to drive to work.

You asked about cheapest gas, it's to be found in the less expensive neighborhoods. West of Cherry, north of 4th St, south of Willow is where you will find it. Most of these stations are a drag, though, because you can't pay at the pump with your credit card. They don't seem to trust their patrons as much in these neighborhoods! I like the pics you took. I see you found Bluff Park worth of several pics! I guess you also saw the issue with the breakwater...it killed the surf here and made the beach, ah, not quite so nice! But there is still a lot going on near the water in LB, from the bike path (one of the #1 things I love about here) to the harbor, with Shoreline Village, the Queen Mary, chain restaurants on the water, the Aquarium, paddle boats in Rainbow Lagoon park...Hope you find a good place to live!

Old 11-01-2007, 10:58 AM

Oh cool, so I was in Bluff Park,

I wasn't sure if it was Belmont Heights, Bixby Park etc, not that familiar with the areas yet.

Gas price watch says the cheapest gas is at Redondo and 10th for $2.73 - Arco,

I'll check that out today, hopefully that update is not 6 months old...

Old 11-01-2007, 04:46 PM

Yeah. Bluff Park is is Belmont Shores.

Arco is usually the cheapest, but they don't allow credit cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles