Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2012, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,276 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I recently moved to the Los Angeles area, so I'm still getting acquainted with the different neighborhoods. I'm up for a new job that's just south of Downtown (near the washington station on the blue line) and I was just wondering how safe this area is. I desperately need a new job, but I'm not willing to risk my safety for it.
Would you feel safe walking around this area at night? What about living in this general area? I will want to move closer if I get it, but my fiance works in west LA, so if we could find a middle ground that would be ideal. I think this area is in what used to be known as South Central, which obviously is not a great place to be. Has it changed?
Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 01:05 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyancey1 View Post
Hello all! I recently moved to the Los Angeles area, so I'm still getting acquainted with the different neighborhoods. I'm up for a new job that's just south of Downtown (near the washington station on the blue line) and I was just wondering how safe this area is. I desperately need a new job, but I'm not willing to risk my safety for it.
Would you feel safe walking around this area at night? What about living in this general area? I will want to move closer if I get it, but my fiance works in west LA, so if we could find a middle ground that would be ideal. I think this area is in what used to be known as South Central, which obviously is not a great place to be. Has it changed?
Thanks for any advice!
Will your job be during the day or during the night? You mentioned the blue line, so will you be relying on that or driving a car?

I myself am not sure about walking around this area at night for a casual stroll but if I was "on a mission" it would be fine. If it's an awesome job just take it if they offer it. You risk your safety whenever you get into your car for a drive, especially in an area as populated as Los Angeles.

South Central has gradations of areas The area where you would be working would not be great, and the surroundings might be a tad dismal and industrial looking, but better that than being in the area around the projects where there is no industry save for eateries and small businesses serving the immediate community.

As for where to live in-between? A fair amount of real estate between there and West L.A, some of it decent. Mid-City (zip code 90019) and points west come to mind. There are others as well.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,212 times
The south central that you speak of isnt half of what it was 20 years ago in regards to crime.Most of those people have packed up and gone and havent returned in ages.That area you speak of isnt that interesting and there isnt much around there other than industrial warehouses and a restuarant supply store.I dont really see that area as being dangerous because noone hangs out over there.Its mostly for working people that work their hours and then go home.I dont think it should be a major concern.Many people from those area jobs take the blueline so at least you know transportation wont be an issue.Maybe one concern might be is that because its so dark past a certain time(around 10pm), you might want to make sure you get on the train and get the hell out of there.Nothings open anyway, you really wouldnt need to stick around.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:29 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times
It's a creepy place, but amazing.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:56 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,682 times
Tishawn is right, I wouldn't worry about it. LA is so much more lowkey than it use to be.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:17 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,657 times
That isn't even "south central", that's just literally south of Downtown, so it's a perfectly safe place to work during the day. I wouldn't hang out there at night, but even then, don't worry about it too much...a job is a job.

You could live Downtown (in the South Park or Historic Core area, these are typically the most lively) or as one poster suggested live in Mid-City. Miracle Mile is the best place that comes to mind. Check out the areas near Fairfax/Pico or Fairfax/Olympic if you want a decent midway point that is safe and not too far from the 10 freeway which you'll both need to access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles