Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 10:24 PM

6 posts, read 30,491 times

Advertisements

My family is looking to relocated to LA county in the next year. There would be four of us; myself, my dad, step-mom and five year old sister, who's just started kindergarten. I'm fourteen (posting on behalf of the whole family since I'm the most tech-savvy) so I suppose in the US that means I'd be entering sophomore year next year. We currently live in Canada, and I'm in my second year of high school. Anyway, we know LA from frequent trips but it would be nice to hear from residents where the best family neighborhoods are. Walking distance really isn't much of an issue. My dad's mostly just interested in a family oriented neighborhood I suppose.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling post. What are the public schools like in LA county? I've heard mixed things. My dad isn't interested in shelling out a ton of money for private school unless he thinks I'd really benefit from it. I did one year of private school already and I didn't like it. Obviously another factor would be the schools in the neighborhood. My sister would need a primary school and I'll need high school.

What's the transit system like in LA? I've never used it, but once we move there I'll probably need to. I'm not really sure if my step-mom wants to find work there, but even so, I don't want to rely on her all the time.

I think the max house price would be around 2.5 or 2.6 from recent discussions.

Any information would be appreciated. Sorry if I didn't make much sense, I'm merely the semi-informed child messenger. I have to say I'm looking forward to living in LA. Despite the smog and traffic, I love it there.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 02:16 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,169,887 times
There are a lot of excellent, family oriented neighborhoods in LA County with great schools... but LA County is massive. The best option for your family will largely depend on what area the income earner(s) will be spending their 40+ hrs a week. The transit system in LA is fairy robust (metro/light rail and plenty of buses), the suburbs have the metrolink trains to LA. The trains won't get you everywhere, but the buses will.

Considering your budget for a place with a minimum of 3 bedrooms, and the desire to be in a good school district, here are some areas worth looking into: La Canada Flintridge, Arcadia, Walnut, Diamond Bar, or Palos Verdes.

There are a lot more options, but all of those cities have top performing schools and nice housing in your family's price range.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:35 AM

3 posts, read 4,855 times
I would have suggested Walnut and Palos Verdes, too.. But it'd be convenient to know, where your dad's gonna be working, to be more specific

Old 11-12-2012, 11:53 AM

23,519 posts, read 24,000,129 times
South Pasadena, La Crescenta, Calabasas, Agoura Hills, San Marino would also go on the list.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
South Pasadena, La Crescenta, Calabasas, Agoura Hills, San Marino would also go on the list.
I would've mentioned South Pas and San Marino, due to the high performing school districts, but they're priced out of those areas.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:36 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,037,035 times
Agoura Hills has an excellent, modernized and well-funded school district. On the outer edge of the county, but well worth it. And Linkin Park went to HS there

You can rent a decent family sized townhouse there for less than 3K.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:50 PM

23,519 posts, read 24,000,129 times
Do you think that would apply to La Canada and Arcadia also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Van Fossen View Post
I would've mentioned South Pas and San Marino, due to the high performing school districts, but they're priced out of those areas.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Do you think that would apply to La Canada and Arcadia also?
There's really only one property, with a minimum of 3 bedrooms, currently available in La Canada under $2600/mo, but there are several in Arcadia.

Then again, the poster did say "max house price" of 2.5 to 2.6. I might have been presumptuous thinking he meant rent and 2.5 to 2.6 hundred. If he's talking a purchase of between 2.5 to 2.6 million, then they're really not priced out of anywhere.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:39 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,289,544 times
Temple City is another. OP, clarify your numbers for us. $2,600/month rent, or $2.6 million purchase, or something else?

Also, which part of the county? I assume you are moving for your dad's work. Where will that be? A good family neighborhood is no good if Dad is stuck in traffic instead of being at home with his family!

Old 11-16-2012, 11:48 AM

37 posts, read 84,550 times
greatschools.org is a good website to compare schools, since that will probably be an issue with you and your family ...

Feel Free to contact me for any other specific questions about greater LA that you may have !

Hope your day is well !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles