Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 6,064 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband and I are relocating from New York, and trying to decide which is a better area to live. Long beach seems more lively and fun, whereas Pasadena is more central to LA, but seemed a little dull when I was there. Am I right about this or did I miss something in Pasadena? We are professionals in our early 30s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 11:01 AM

916 posts, read 3,698,852 times
I have a bias because I live there but I recommend LB. It has everything. Plus I like being close to the water.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:12 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Pasadena is not boring. It is safer than LB unless you can afford Belmont Shores or Heights. It is a plus to be so close to the ocean. It also depends on your price range and where you will be working.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:23 PM

320 posts, read 1,732,880 times
Pasadena- hotter closer to LA. May want ot look at South Pasadena also. IMO better community, police and cleaner

LB near water, cooler some good ares some bad areas neighboring cities Not as good IMO. The Aquarium rocks as does the pier area for eating and out of town visitors

Old 10-15-2007, 05:43 PM

38,865 posts, read 22,849,388 times
A big part of your decision would need to depend on where you'll be working. If it's in downtown L.A., it would seem that Pasadena is closer, though I'm not sure of the commute from there during rush hour, and back again in the afternoon. Keep in mind that Pasadena gets smoggy and hot during the summer versus Long Beach. Also, it's been said that Old Town Pasadena has a lot of fun things to see and do (I've never been there, so someone else more familiar with the area might be able to help you better than I).

I tend to lean more towards Long Beach since I live close to there. The more desirable areas are Belmont Shore, Belmont Heights, Bixby Knolls and the eastern side of the city around the vicinity of Cal State Long Beach. The downtown area has a lot of restaurants and shops, plus the Aquarium of the Pacific.

Hope this helps with your decision. Good luck!

Old 10-15-2007, 07:52 PM

22 posts, read 76,115 times
Long Beach used to be a fuddyduddy town, but has changed a lot to accomodate your age group. There is East Long Beach, Lakewood, the Circle Area, Plaza for young professionals who like to be in a family atmosphere. Lots of parks for biking, jogging, b-ball, soccer, tennis, etc in this area. There is downtown Long Beach which is now so much fun to be in. Concerts, interesting clubs, lots of things happening in the downtown area. You can rent or purchase a loft. There are some rentals with Marina views, and of course they cost a bit more. Still, compared to the other beach cities, Long Beach is the most affordable. You can contact me for a list of properties available for purchase, or I can direct you to an expert in certain areas.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:07 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
i'm not the OP, but i have a question. is signal hill a good area? i've heard very mixed views about it. according to this website-http://lalife.com/Signal_Hill-it's not as bad a the rest of long beach, but a few of my friends have said differently, while some agree with the website. so what do you guys think about it?

Old 10-16-2007, 07:25 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,023,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devika View Post
Hi,
My husband and I are relocating from New York, and trying to decide which is a better area to live. Long beach seems more lively and fun, whereas Pasadena is more central to LA, but seemed a little dull when I was there. Am I right about this or did I miss something in Pasadena? We are professionals in our early 30s.
Long Beach and Pasadena are quite different. It really boils down to a lot of questions and factors about you and your personal taste, preferences, style and attitude:

Which city is closer to where you will be working?
Do you prefer to be near the ocean or does living next to mountains appeal more to you?
Do you like the feeling of being in a more refined, old money, east coast reminiscent like environment or do you prefer the more laid back, California, new money look and sensibility?
Is being close to LA and having access to all of its amenities and attractions with relative ease important to you?
Do you like to socialize with more of a conservative, yuppie looking crowd or are you more of a laid back, jeans, t-shirt, and flip flops kind of person?
Do you like neighborhoods that are heavily shaded with old trees and lush greenery or do you prefer the more sun-splashed look?
Do you prefer the year-round temperate climate of a seaside community or can you handle inland temperatures of up to 100 degrees in the summer?

These are some of the general characteristics that distinguish Pasadena and Long Beach that might help you assess which community is right for you.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:41 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devika View Post
Hi,
Boy did you ever miss something. LB rolls up it's sidewalks early. The two places are very different. At the core of Pasadena is Old Pas which is a thriving, walkable urban village. I like Pasadena a lot better. There's more to do and it's a lot prettier. It's also much closer to everything else. Did you hang out in Old Pas on a Friday or Saturday night? I like the Queen Mary in LB. I don't go to the beach there because there are much nicer, cleaner beaches. They have a great bike path. You can also get cheap housing deals if you look. Downtown LB has a lot of missing teeth but has really come a long way. It's had some overambitious growth and is suffering some growing pains. Belmont Shore is more established and there are some fun things to do there...but it's still pretty small and sleepy in comparison. The area has gorgeous homes and great yard sales. My biggest complaint about LB is that it's F A R from L.A....and LB is not L.A. In medium traffic it takes well over an hour to get to Hollywood. I've averaged about 80 minutes.

Decison here boils down to weather, proximity and vibe.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:41 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,842,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
i'm not the OP, but i have a question. is signal hill a good area? i've heard very mixed views about it. according to this website-http://lalife.com/Signal_Hill-it's not as bad a the rest of long beach, but a few of my friends have said differently, while some agree with the website. so what do you guys think about it?
I went to that park they have on top of Signal Hill in the middle of the night and it seemed perfectly safe to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles