Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 11:51 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanDavis View Post
I can't believe Tito's Taco's isn't on the list.
Might be because you're the first one to post who likes the place. I'm not impressed with Tito's. I'd rather go to the little place on the corner, in between Johnnie's and Tito's.

Johnnie's = pretty good, but The Hat is better IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 12:23 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
Oki Dog has the best deal. Go at your own risk. Particularly Fairfax.

I don't have too many suggestions to offer on my own despite having a huge amount of dining experience in LA. I agree the Comme Ca burger is good but I don't get why everyone keeps mentioning it. Several other restaurants have just a good $20 burger, for example, The Hungry Cat or any steakhouse worth its salt

Speaking of steakhouses, it seems Mastro's in Beverly Hills is the most popular in LA overall. It's a little pricy even by steakhouse standards but everyone loves it.

For cheaper burgers I think Astro Burger (Gower more than Santa Monica Blvd) is up there. People swear by Umami Burger but I don't get it, too overpriced and mediocre.

Cactus Tacos on Vine seems to be the most beloved taqueria by non Mexicans...

Carlito Gardel's has the best Argentinian food....

For upscale Italian any restaurant owned by a Drago brother or with the Drago name in it

If you're not interested in trudging through Macarthur park to get great pastrami, Fromins deli in santa monica has it nearly as good - and maybe the best chicken soup

If your buddget is unlimited, the best contemporary California cuisine is found at Josie's, Michael's and Melisse in Santa Monica..

Old 12-15-2012, 01:45 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,003 times
small plates Japanese fusion is really hitting its stride right now. If you can afford $200+/person, snag a reservation at N-naka or Shunji, both in West LA/Palms. And i don't know where you're from but if you want to try authentic Chinese head on over to the SVG and order dim sum at Elite in Monterey Park or Shanghai dishes at Shanghai #1 Seafood. Lastly, if by some Xmas miracle you're able to get a reservation at LudoBites 1-week Pop-up (David Lefebvre's last) don't pass it up!

Old 12-15-2012, 01:49 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,251 times
Baracoa Cuban Cafe in Atwater Village is very good - better than Versailles, IMO. It's small, has a few outdoor tables. The Polla Al Horno is fantastic.

Baracoa Cuban Cafe

Old 12-15-2012, 02:16 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,652 times
You can also do much more affordable Japanese Izakaya (tapas) all around LA. Furaibo in West LA and Honda Ya in Little Tokyo are good options.

I'll also second the Porto's mention from earlier. For good Chinese dumplings, try Din Tai Fung in Arcadia.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:43 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Van Fossen View Post
You can also do much more affordable Japanese Izakaya (tapas) all around LA. Furaibo in West LA and Honda Ya in Little Tokyo are good options.

I'll also second the Porto's mention from earlier. For good Chinese dumplings, try Din Tai Fung in Arcadia.
Din Tai Fung is a bit tourisy and overpriced, but overall it's still good. You literally see people busting out DSLRs to take pictures of Din Tai Fung's dumplings--come on.

There's a cheaper and more modest place called Luscious Dumplings just 2 miles east in Monrovia.

Din Tai Fung - Arcadia, CA

Luscious Dumplings - Monrovia, CA

There's also a Luscious Dumplings in San Gabriel--much closer to Los Angeles.

Luscious Dumplings - San Gabriel, CA

Last edited by genjy; 12-15-2012 at 02:59 PM..

Old 12-15-2012, 03:44 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,708,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Can't believe no one has suggested Langer's yet. Best pastrami sandwich in the world. Never had Canter's sandwiches but their bakery is excellent and pretty low-priced - I always get a marble rye. Also like the Kibitz Room for drinks and music - it's a dirty bar but its fun.
according to mason and ireland!

Old 12-15-2012, 05:02 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
Din Tai Fung is a bit tourisy and overpriced, but overall it's still good. You literally see people busting out DSLRs to take pictures of Din Tai Fung's dumplings--come on.
I see where you're coming from on this. I kind of feel this way about 85 degrees. Then again, I don't really think there's anything wrong with visiting touristy places when you're a tourist.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:16 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Van Fossen View Post
I see where you're coming from on this. I kind of feel this way about 85 degrees. Then again, I don't really think there's anything wrong with visiting touristy places when you're a tourist.
Agreed. You can't go wrong with Din Tai Fung.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:12 AM

4 posts, read 4,288 times
I truly enjoyed Roscoes Chicken and Waffles 9 years ago when I first visited but IChat it again last year and it seems they've been "all hype". Food was mediocre but you've got to do it once

Wokano downtown LA was amazing!

Enjoy your trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles