Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 12:35 AM

38 posts, read 70,153 times

Advertisements

Are the guidelines previously posted on good neighborhoods still current? That is, W of 20th and south of I?

Am here interviewing for an excellent job. Hotel is near the freeway and Ave K,and it seems quite fine. I've lived in LA for 20 years and this feels comparatively quiet. crime stats look a little higher than Pasadena but not by a lot and the trend appears improving rather than worsening through 2010 on this site.

What areas could I safely drive through to get a feel for best, good, ok and not so good neighborhoods. Where are good areas with some land near town?

Can anyone recommend a realtor, or is that against site policy?

We know and like desert and see the relative smallness as positive, the main concerns are feeling safe and not making a poor choice in terms of resale value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 07:30 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
I'd recommend people send OP realtor rec's via DM.

Lancaster hasn't been this cheap in 10 years, in fact, check out the 10-year graph here (LOL ): Zillow.

You can drive through any neighborhood in Lancaster and make it through alive/unharmed.

Check out Quartz Hill.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:24 PM

Yeah, I drove around the West Palmdale area up against the hills, noted the for-sales and looked them up. Wow. It sure looks like a VERY pleasant neighborhood. And twice the house for half the price of what we can still sell our Glendale-area home for.

I don't understand some of the folks posting here. Every single area I've considered over the last year -- So Cal, Arizona, Florida -- there have been people making it sound as if the Apocalypse was destined to be centered there. I see none of the signs of badness that are are usually a tip off that things are dicey. I do see more dark faces than in some places. Is that really what sets people off?

If anyone does have realtor recommendations please PM me. I think an offer is likely this time.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:27 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,543,907 times
As a rule, stay in Lancaster's zip code 93536 or Palmdale's 93551 or 93552. All three are west of the 14 Freeway.

93534 in Lancaster is alright. It has some decent areas (such as the Lowtree Avenue area near 15th Street West) but it begins to trend from blue-collar to lower income the further north you go in 93534.

As Mr. Aguilar stated, Lancaster is very safe for a city of its size. This is because city leaders have a no-nonsense policy when it comes to crime and gangs.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:20 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelocateMaybe View Post
Yeah, I drove around the West Palmdale area up against the hills, noted the for-sales and looked them up. Wow. It sure looks like a VERY pleasant neighborhood. And twice the house for half the price of what we can still sell our Glendale-area home for.

I don't understand some of the folks posting here. Every single area I've considered over the last year -- So Cal, Arizona, Florida -- there have been people making it sound as if the Apocalypse was destined to be centered there. I see none of the signs of badness that are are usually a tip off that things are dicey. I do see more dark faces than in some places. Is that really what sets people off?
Could be that, and/or that it's the furthest city north that could still be considered part of the Greater LA area. The far, the cheap, the desert, the heat, the cold, and the commute, are all the other reasons it tends to be bashed.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:11 AM

102 posts, read 513,462 times
Default It is just fine up here!

I have never felt unsafe or uncomfortable up here, and now crime is the lowest its been since 1993. Most of the advice you have received so far is good. As a rule, it is generally nicer on the westside. Closer to the college is nicer, etc.

You are right, that people do complain about having more african-americans moving up here. I am white, and it does not bother me, if they are good up-standing citizens. Everyone deserves a good place to live no matter what the color of your skin is.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:09 PM

6 posts, read 26,862 times
Been in Palmdale for ten years. The advice you have been getting is good. The west side of both cities is nicer.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:31 AM

Appreciate all the input!

Old 12-11-2012, 07:20 PM

116 posts, read 377,684 times
Default This is good advice!

This advice you received is true. Pretty much stay on the west side of either Lancaster, Palmdale, or Quartz Hill. It still has a small town feel, and a slower pace of life. There is some of the undesirable element that moved from LA, but that is pretty much concentrated on the central and east sides of both towns.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles