Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2012, 08:13 PM

6 posts, read 11,388 times

Advertisements

Hi all
So I'm thinking about possibly taking a week off to go camping in Angeles National Forest. I have been doing some research on the area and had a few questions. I understand that if you have an Adventure Pass you still have to pay the campsite fees however there are some campgrounds in Angeles National Forest that are free; is this true?? Also is Angeles National Forest in general a safe area for camping alone? Other than the necessary precautions one would need to take is there anything that I absolutely need to know before I go? I don't plan on going into the middle of the wilderness or hiking through the boonies rather I would just like to set up camp in a more crowded area and call it good because I want to be closer to the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 08:45 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Make sure to pick up a campfire permit. Bring fresh drinking water and toilet paper.
You are not required to use pay camping sites, I have often made camp in nice clearings.
I have never had a problem in USFS camp sites or state camp sites. I tend to enjoy state camping more as they usually have hot showers available.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:33 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
You would not want to do that. I did that before and didn't enjoy it one bit. First of all, at night there is children laughing. I woke up turned on my flashlight to find a doll sitting at the corner of my tent with no eyes. I froze, then saw a shadow above and then it disappear. Looked at the corner again and the doll was gone. The next morning there was intestines scattered around my tent. Intestines of who knows what. My friend was freaked out too. We decided that tonight we'll leave. He didn't believe me about the doll though. Anyway we were ready to leave just around sunset. Just then our car stalled. I used my phone but nothing but a weird distorted screaming noise came from it. We checked under the hood to see what had happened and noticed the battery was disconnected. We fixed it and got back into the car. But not before hearing laughter and someone running around in the grass. The car started being rocked back and fourth and we just drove the hell out of there.
We found the freeway and were home free and I realized that my car was making a weird vibrating noise. I took it to the nearest gas station and looked at it. I looked for the nearest shop that was open and the mechanic wanted to charge me a ridiculous amount of money just for a checkup. I argued with him and decided to check it again. It was my timing belt. I decided to take it to my uncle's pad and we got it fixed and so I finally got that problem solved. I decided never to go camping there again without properly checking my car first.

Other than that it was ok. But it was a crappy experience with having to fix my car and all..

Old 12-17-2012, 01:01 AM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
You would not want to do that. I did that before and didn't enjoy it one bit. First of all, at night there is children laughing. I woke up turned on my flashlight to find a doll sitting at the corner of my tent with no eyes. I froze, then saw a shadow above and then it disappear. Looked at the corner again and the doll was gone. The next morning there was intestines scattered around my tent. Intestines of who knows what. My friend was freaked out too. We decided that tonight we'll leave. He didn't believe me about the doll though. Anyway we were ready to leave just around sunset. Just then our car stalled. I used my phone but nothing but a weird distorted screaming noise came from it. We checked under the hood to see what had happened and noticed the battery was disconnected. We fixed it and got back into the car. But not before hearing laughter and someone running around in the grass. The car started being rocked back and fourth and we just drove the hell out of there.
We found the freeway and were home free and I realized that my car was making a weird vibrating noise. I took it to the nearest gas station and looked at it. I looked for the nearest shop that was open and the mechanic wanted to charge me a ridiculous amount of money just for a checkup. I argued with him and decided to check it again. It was my timing belt. I decided to take it to my uncle's pad and we got it fixed and so I finally got that problem solved. I decided never to go camping there again without properly checking my car first.

Other than that it was ok. But it was a crappy experience with having to fix my car and all..
What the hell are you talking about?? Is this like some kind of joke to scare newbies?? What were you smoking when you were camping?

Old 12-17-2012, 07:30 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Camping and LSD don't mix.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:45 AM

672 posts, read 2,175,523 times
Quote:
You would not want to do that. I did that before and didn't enjoy it one bit. First of all, at night there is children laughing. I woke up turned on my flashlight to find a doll sitting at the corner of my tent with no eyes...
LOL.

The truth is that much of Angeles is not really a zen place to experience nature. It is too close to the city. It is more like a good place to head out and have an afternoon BBQ. It'll still be fun, but, might not be what you're looking for.

However, there are area of Los Padres that can be quite quiet.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:25 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
LOL.

The truth is that much of Angeles is not really a zen place to experience nature. It is too close to the city. It is more like a good place to head out and have an afternoon BBQ. It'll still be fun, but, might not be what you're looking for.

However, there are area of Los Padres that can be quite quiet.

I agree with this. We always go to the San Bernardino Nat'l Forest. Los Padres has some nice areas too.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:45 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Hmm . . . I don't know,

I definitely agree that the Los Padres of Ventura County have bigger tracts of wilderness, more solitude, etc. and the San Bernardinos are great because they are a little higher, with more forest, alpine areas, but the San Gabriels/Angeles Natl' forest is a pretty amazing wilderness area. I mean once you get past La Canada on the Angeles Crest theres basically not a building in site all the way to Wrightwood, except for Newcombs Ranch. There are MANY areas where one backpack and get lost.

It offers a lot more than an afternoon BBQ. Its one of the steepest and highest mountain range abutting a major urban area in north america. Its not Griffith Park.

The one caveat though is that the east fork San Gabriel on 39/north of Azusa can get crowded and trashed. People like escaping to the river on a hot day. The parking lot on hot summer days for Bridge to Nowhere hike is packed. I got a ticket because I was borderline parked in a no parking zone. I contested, but to no avail.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:28 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:

Sort of a Blair Witch experience?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles