Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 10:39 PM

4 posts, read 11,502 times

Advertisements

I just moved to the IE from Seattle for a really great job down here. My boyfriend already lived down here (in Claremont - right by the colleges in a guest house). I'm currently renting at El Sereno on the Claremont/Pomona border, which is a great, safe apartment complex for anyone who's looking. He's ready and has the resources to invest in a home (for which I'll pay half the mortgage/house expenses instead of rent) so we are looking at upgrading from a guest house and an apartment to a decent house where we can start our family in a few years.

We've found great places in Claremont, La Verne, and Glendora over the last couple of months. The biggest remaining factor is finding other young professionals to hang out with. I was living in Seattle for grad school and had a great network of friends there. He's been extremely focused no his job down here and really hasn't done the friend thing. We spend a lot of time in the Village and I've tried to befriend people, but no one really seems interested. Is there an area of the IE where there are more young people (just out of college/grad school) that I'm just missing? If there is, that could greatly affect our buying decision or it could just mean we'll be driving more.

I've read the City Data forums back through 2009 and didn't find much except a post about how boring San Dimas is and something about a teleporting phone booth, so any help and thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Sorry about the length of this original post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 11:33 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
I'm from the IE and everyone I know who graduated college got the heck out of there for a better lifestyle in LA or OC. The only people who stayed behind started families at a fairly young age. Young, active people do exist in the area, but its not the norm. Good luck!

Old 01-15-2013, 11:49 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,362 times
That area has A LOT of colleges and universities. Literally every town has a college or university (except for San Dimas).

Most of the younger people you meet in social settings would likely be students. You might need to drive to Pasadena to meet "young professionals."

Old 01-16-2013, 01:14 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,169,536 times
Actually, none of those cities you mentioned are part of the IE. Those are all part of LA county...

I think I still qualify as a young professional and I do like to hang out in the Village from time to time. I have other friends in the area who are either recent grads, soon to be recent grads, or young professionals. There isn't much of a party atmosphere or nightlife in the area, and places with an active party/nightlife scene tend to be where you meet people who are looking to socialize. I know when I go to Claremont, it's mostly to eat, window shop and check out records. I'm not necessarily looking to meet new friends--not that I would be opposed to it.

I always recommend meetup.com for those looking to meet new people in the area. I just started getting into it myself and I find it to be a good source for meeting people with similar interests or hobbies.

San Dimas high school football rules!

Old 01-16-2013, 06:46 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
MOD NOTE:

Title changed to a more accurate one.

We've well established that the IE begins at the county lines.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:22 AM

919 posts, read 1,781,792 times
Damn, reading your post makes me wonder how anyone got to be friends with anyone. Stop whining and start doing anything. You'll find friends. Don't you go to a market and stand in line? Talk with the person in front or behind you. Go to a hs and start running around the track. You'll meet plenty of people doing just that. Since the advent of the internets (ala George Bush) social skills have eroded to the point that people seem not to have the most basic ability to speak or engage people in conversation.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:13 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Van Fossen View Post
Actually, none of those cities you mentioned are part of the IE. Those are all part of LA county...
I wasn't going to correct anyone in my post because not everyone is familiar with the nuances of these regional boundaries.

If a person thinks Glendora and San Dimas (even Claremont) are part of the Inland Empire, I just let it be.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:09 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,169,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
I wasn't going to correct anyone in my post because not everyone is familiar with the nuances of these regional boundaries.

If a person thinks Glendora and San Dimas (even Claremont) are part of the Inland Empire, I just let it be.
I'm not sure if you took that as a response to your post, but it wasn't. I find it's better to inform someone who may not be familiar with the area, rather than let them think something that isn't correct. It wasn't meant to be some kind of "gotcha" comment.

It's not really that big of an issue. However, I do believe the IE is a bit different culturally from the Eastern LA county foothills.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:46 PM

4 posts, read 11,502 times
Thanks to everyone for the advice so far. I agree that the areas I'm thinking about aren't in the IE, but I titled the post as I did after reading other ones that referred to areas around Claremont as the IE. My mistake there that must come with being new to the area...sorry if it offended anyone.

BRinSM - I agree. It seems like people around my age aren't super common around the area or are very family-minded, which I'm not quite yet.

genjy - Thanks for the Pasadena suggestion. I'll look into it, but think buying a house out there and driving to Upland everyday might not be fun.

Joe - I agree with you too. People aren't really hanging around the Village to make friends. Most everyone out here seems to be somewhat established in that department. I'll try meetup and see where that gets me.

loloroj - I don't appreciate your negativity and for your information I do a lot of those things, such as walking the trail off of Mills and saying hi to random people (which gets me strange looks more often than not). I am trying. The purpose of this post was to see if there is a higher concentration of people like me in the area, not to figure out how to make friends.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:51 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Van Fossen View Post

I think I still qualify as a young professional and I do like to hang out in the Village from time to time. I have other friends in the area who are either recent grads, soon to be recent grads, or young professionals. There isn't much of a party atmosphere or nightlife in the area, and places with an active party/nightlife scene tend to be where you meet people who are looking to socialize. I know when I go to Claremont, it's mostly to eat, window shop and check out records. I'm not necessarily looking to meet new friends--not that I would be opposed to it.

I always recommend meetup.com for those looking to meet new people in the area. I just started getting into it myself and I find it to be a good source for meeting people with similar interests or hobbies.

San Dimas high school football rules!
What's the Village?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles