Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 05:49 PM

199 posts, read 1,106,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakerfreak View Post
I think it's time that most African Americans in LA consider leaving. Why stay in a city where you only make up 10% of the population and no other races seem to except or want you there?

Your roots are in the South and that's where you'll feel most comfortable. You're money will go much further and you'll be around more people in positions of authority and power that look like you. JMO
Sorry, I don't live my life for random miserable anonymous racist ppl who play zero role in my life.

Plus, there are plenty successful&influential black ppl in the LA area. Look at the whole area btwn Ladera Heights, View Park-Windsor Hills and Baldwin Hills. It's the richest black area in the entire country by per capita income and among the richest areas in all of LA County.

Last edited by Guidance100; 06-15-2013 at 06:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 06:08 PM

256 posts, read 452,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidance100 View Post
Sorry, I don't live my life for random miserable anonymous racist ppl who play zero role in my life.

Plus, there are plenty successful&influential black ppl in the LA area. Look at the whole area btwn Ladera Heights, View Park and Baldwin Hills. It's the richest black area in the entire country by per capita income.
That's one small area of LA where the lucky 1%-2% get to live. Meanwhile the majority of LA's black population is either just getting by or struggling altogether. If they try to move to the left the Latinos don't want them, they try to move right the Asians don't want them, and if they try to go north or south the whites don't want them. Why stay where you're not wanted?

Old 06-15-2013, 08:06 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
There are plenty of black people in my neighborhood who appear to be doing better than we are. I witnessed much more racism towards AA on the East Coast than I do out here.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:44 AM

428 posts, read 849,051 times
Yea I moved from Long Beach four years ago to the south. Mississippi State for grad school now I am librarian in Tennessee doing pretty well with a job I would never get in Los Angeles county. I don't care if people do not want to hear it but lif is better for Blacks in the south than it is in L.A. My siblings keep trying to get me to come home for a visit but I tell them hell no.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:08 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Quote:
Why stay where you're not wanted?
And yet you continue to post here.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:08 AM

199 posts, read 1,106,644 times
Quote:
That's one small area of LA where the lucky 1%-2% get to live. Meanwhile the majority of LA's black population is either just getting by or struggling altogether. If they try to move to the left the Latinos don't want them, they try to move right the Asians don't want them, and if they try to go north or south the whites don't want them. Why stay where you're not wanted?
Dude, buying a house is a real estate investment.

It's not about "who wants you" or who "doesn't want you" (lol, u aint some baby tryin to get adopted!).

Unless they pay your bills or you popped out of their belly or sack then they have NO say in where you choose to live and what you choose to do with your personal finances.

Enough of that self-loathing type of mentality, it really won't get you far in life. Honestly, what you say does have some truth among some ppl but really, what you do with your life is none of their business (and vice versa). Who cares what other people want? (u aint their servants!)

Old 06-16-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissStateDawg View Post
Yea I moved from Long Beach four years ago to the south. Mississippi State for grad school now I am librarian in Tennessee doing pretty well with a job I would never get in Los Angeles county. I don't care if people do not want to hear it but lif is better for Blacks in the south than it is in L.A. My siblings keep trying to get me to come home for a visit but I tell them hell no.
I've heard this from so many blacks that have left L.A for the South but when you say these things on here people get offended. They believe their city is some type of racial Shangri-la and refuse to acknowledge those who feel otherwise.

Diversity does not= acceptance

Old 06-16-2013, 11:14 AM

155 posts, read 260,269 times
Quote:
I've heard this from so many blacks that have left L.A for the South but when you say these things on here people get offended. They believe their city is some type of racial Shangri-la and refuse to acknowledge those who feel otherwise.

Diversity does not= acceptance
LA is very anti-Black, but that doesn't mean Black folks should leave. The problem is that the middle class Blacks have left and integrated into non-Black areas and there's no centralized Black community with money like in NYC, Philly, Baltimore, Chicago, Atlanta, etc.

The last thing Blacks should do is leave. Just because a bunch of ignorant and racist Armenians, Persians, Mexicans and Asians can't get over their own stupidity doesn't mean Blacks should go.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:42 PM

6 posts, read 11,736 times
LA and suburb area is the most SEGREGATED AREA in this Country. I was born and raised in LA and I can go to certain areas see 90% of one race.

Let's break down areas in LA

West LA north to Griffith Park and surrounding area predominately Caucasian. Areas like Hollywood, Bev Hills, Westwood, Bel Air , Mid City

East LA to South LA mainly Hispanic , Boyle heights, lincoln heights, downtown, el sereno, glassell parl, echo park

South east LA and South LA - use to be mainly African American until 10 to 20 years ago, mainly hispanic now. watts, inglewood, lennoxm crenshaw, adams

Other suburbs in LA going east

alhambra, monterey park, temple city, san gabriel, rosemead, - majority asian

pomona, west covina, baldwin park, covina - mainly hispanic

it seems majority of the blacks have moved toward lancaster, palmdale and san bernardino or to the southern part of the US.

The truth is LA is just to expensive to live. The reason most of us stay here is because we have been here forever and it would cost us more money to leave then to stay. We would have to start over and find a new job, new house, new friends and new schools. It is just to much trouble. A little off subject but LA the most segregated city. I have been to other states and it seems to be a melting pot but LA is just not.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellz0rs View Post
LA and suburb area is the most SEGREGATED AREA in this Country. I was born and raised in LA and I can go to certain areas see 90% of one race.

Let's break down areas in LA

West LA north to Griffith Park and surrounding area predominately Caucasian. Areas like Hollywood, Bev Hills, Westwood, Bel Air , Mid City

East LA to South LA mainly Hispanic , Boyle heights, lincoln heights, downtown, el sereno, glassell parl, echo park

South east LA and South LA - use to be mainly African American until 10 to 20 years ago, mainly hispanic now. watts, inglewood, lennoxm crenshaw, adams

Other suburbs in LA going east

alhambra, monterey park, temple city, san gabriel, rosemead, - majority asian

pomona, west covina, baldwin park, covina - mainly hispanic

it seems majority of the blacks have moved toward lancaster, palmdale and san bernardino or to the southern part of the US.

The truth is LA is just to expensive to live. The reason most of us stay here is because we have been here forever and it would cost us more money to leave then to stay. We would have to start over and find a new job, new house, new friends and new schools. It is just to much trouble. A little off subject but LA the most segregated city. I have been to other states and it seems to be a melting pot but LA is just not.
Wow this is sad to read. I'd love to visit LA one day but I'm not sure now. The last thing I want to deal with as a visitor is any racial nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles