Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 07:53 PM

705 posts, read 3,298,599 times

Advertisements

This has always been the case. Nothing new. Gang problems wont be solved unless SERIOUS actions are taken to prevent them from spreading. In countries like Guatemala, special forces are sent to kill anyone who is gang related. I heard there were masses of gang members being killed over night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 10:42 PM
CLQ

207 posts, read 1,086,231 times
They should at least make the prisons tougher. There is no reason that criminals need TV's, weights, bball courts. I think they should live in solitude in a 10 sf brick prison cell without windows and not be allowed to leave then maybe potential criminals will think long and hard before making bad decisions. Instead, prisons are glamourized and a place where people think they are more badass because they served time. This should not be the case. I don't get why taxpayers money has to support criminals that live in luxury. They should be thankful they aren't in Guatemala and gunned down too.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:58 AM

194 posts, read 303,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
all multicultural societies go through the basic same evolution. First different cultures tolerate each other. Then they divide over issues and finally they fight over territory and cultural differences. you can see that has happened everywhere in the world where there are different cultures the occupy the same land.
You're comparing 'multicultural societies' with dysfunctional career criminals.

Not only is it apples and oranges, but it's flawed logic.

The gangs aren't fighting over 'cultural differences'. They're fighting over urban turf to sell illegal drugs, and grudges held from kicking each other's ass in the L.A. County Jail/California Prison System.

The gangs don't speak for all people (obviously). There are places with mixed populations of *normal* people (Bellflower, Altadena, Rancho Cucamonga, etc.) that get along just fine.

By the way, there's a number of places in the world where different cultures 'occupy the same land' with few problems; The Netherlands, Canada, New Zealand, Venezuela, Belize, Trinidad, The Bahamas, and to a lesser degree, Brazil, off the top of my head.

Sure, there's racist people here and there, but those countries are hardly on the brink of social collapse.
Honestly, most of them are *light years* ahead of the United States as far as tolerance is concerned.

I mean, really...how'd you come up with *this* argument?

Old 10-26-2007, 09:48 AM

118 posts, read 465,489 times
(You're not serious, are you?:confused)

Yes, I'm serious and no, I am not confused.

(It's Spartan and heavy-handed, but it's the only way).

You call me naive? Yet you say that it's the only way?
This may be the best way, on occasion but certainly not the only way.
We need to open our mind and stop doing the same old thing because it produces the same old results.

(Caning them would only fill them with rage. They'd be obsessed with finding and KILLING the one who caned them. For hardcore career criminals, caning would only provoke them to seek revenge on the one doing the caning).

What about the policeman who decides on a little roadside justice? Are they hunted down and killed? Do you think that they are obsessed with finding the prison guard who may have did something to them?
Prison fills a person with rage. People are not reformed. They come out more violent and criminal with less respect for life, law and order than before.

(It works in Singapore because people (civilians) don't have access to guns and have a degree of respect for authority.)

They do have access to guns. Maybe not as freely as we do, but guns are available if you want one.
Respect for authority? True. In other words, they are more civilized.
American's, in general, are loosing respect for everything and everybody but that's another subject.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:58 AM

118 posts, read 465,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLQ View Post
They should at least make the prisons tougher. There is no reason that criminals need TV's, weights, bball courts. I think they should live in solitude in a 10 sf brick prison cell without windows and not be allowed to leave then maybe potential criminals will think long and hard before making bad decisions. Instead, prisons are glamourized and a place where people think they are more badass because they served time. This should not be the case. I don't get why taxpayers money has to support criminals that live in luxury. They should be thankful they aren't in Guatemala and gunned down too.
Yes, and no. They don't need TV or weights, etc. They need to be housed in tents like that Sheriff out in AZ is doing. If a Soldier can sleep in a tent, a convict sure can.
Putting someone in solitary for an extended period, would only drive them insane and a short time would be a vacation. A couple of days of peace and quite would be a welcome relief for me.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:12 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,973 times
Most folks on this forum are not aware that caning as done in Singapore leaves permanent scars and is designed to be that torturous (explained to me by in-law who lived and worked there for years. I'll spare the forum the horrific details.) This is the last thing we need, the diversity industry demanding international cruel and unusual punishments take hold here. Plus all gang members are such sociopaths to begin with, they'd probably welcome sadism.

Regardless of how awful gang members personally have made my life here in Los Angeles, I do persist in being not in favor of capital punishment, with one exception: arsonists. They like fiery deaths so much, they should have one of their own.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:03 PM

38 posts, read 148,115 times
gang fighting is over drugs and territory.These guys are greedy morons who do not want to do a days work in life.The result of the life style will be prison or death.I never understood why kids like gangsta rap so much.Why glorify being a moron?

Old 10-26-2007, 05:50 PM

723 posts, read 2,999,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAAngel2008 View Post
Why glorify being a moron?
Stupid is as stupid does.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:58 PM

106 posts, read 472,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
I'm typing this from a cornfield right now so who am I to comment.
However.... I thought the late 80's and early 90's were when the gangs were the worst in L.A. I have heard it's actually gotten better over the last 10 years. Am I dead wrong here???
I believe I read that LA's crime has decreased since the 90's and that it is actually safer than chicago now.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:21 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I was in Los Angeles yesterday.

Flew into Van Nuys, took a car to Downtown LA, drove to meet friends in Koreatown, then I drove to Roberston Bl to shop a little bit, then went over to Diddy Riese at UCLA to get chocolate chip cookies and make some copies that I needed, then had lunch with my sister and her husband in Culver City, then went back to Century City for my meeting, then drove back to UCLA, then over the canyon to the valley and stopped at Harvard-Westlake to visit a friend who now works there, caught up with another friend over sushi on Ventura Bl, then drove back to Van Nuys and flew back to Oakland airport.

The entire day(had a lot of fun) covering that immense and densely populated area, I dont recall seeing anything remotely resembling a gang.
I live here and I don't usually see them either and I live next to Hollywood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles