Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 12:07 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
It is a pretty hard loophole to close as there is no paper trail that is a public record.
Audit the home builder and cross-reference their gross sales against the assessed value of the houses sold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 01:03 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,775,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Audit the home builder and cross-reference their gross sales against the assessed value of the houses sold.
Some builder upgrades are paid for directly to the sub contractor. That is common from floor upgrades and some other things.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:33 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Absolutely untrue. If you buy a brand new home and add builder's upgrades like granite counter tops, ceiling fans, etc., etc. the cost will not be included in the assessed value if they are not included in the mortgage...
I didn't know that you were referring to a brand new home....in that case, the prior assessment before the upgrades doesn't really factor in. (How many people fall into the category of buying a new home and purchasing top of the line upgrades? Not really what this thread is about....)

Quote:
I have bought and sold 8 new homes in California so have been through this many times.
Maybe you should post this in the Real Estate subforum. Most people aren't able to afford to do what you're doing.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:19 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,775,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I didn't know that you were referring to a brand new home....in that case, the prior assessment before the upgrades doesn't really factor in. (How many people fall into the category of buying a new home and purchasing top of the line upgrades? Not really what this thread is about....)

Maybe you should post this in the Real Estate subforum. Most people aren't able to afford to do what you're doing.
I stated very clearly on my post that started this discussion that it was a new home. Here is a quote from my post of February 15th. "We bought our home brand new in 2002.". Also builder's upgrades only apply to new homes.

Many people buy new homes with lots of builder's upgrades. There are new home developments in San Jose and Morgan Hill.

I don't know what you think I am doing. I didn't own all 8 homes at the same time. We have happened to live in different locations in California, both Southern and Northern.

Since when do you decide what this thread is all about? It is quite applicable to this thread which is about property values.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:24 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,077 times
LA has nothing on Houston or Dallas when it comes to housing stock. No brag just fact.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:49 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
Texas has no income tax and a good chunk of the state is funded off of property taxes. It's much better to be a renter in TX! My parents had a nice four bedroom house with a pool valued at around 120k in a nice, suburban area, their property taxes were about 3200 a year! They are high earners and would likely pay that in income tax to the state living in a place like California.
What neighborhood is this? Are you sure it's worth $120k? That's the value of tiny houses in the most desolate suburban developments in Katy (no trees and very small lots).

Old 02-18-2013, 09:52 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
And they'd be paying $5000-6000/yr in tax on a similar house in a similar neighborhood in SoCal.
Maybe, but they also wouldn't be able to afford that much home in that nice of an area in the LA area. But if they bought something worth double what they paid in TX, they still wouldn't pay as much in property tax out here.

If Texas ever had a real estate bubble like CA or NV, people would lose their homes. Or maybe not since in TX your assessed taxable value can only go up 10% a year and you can fight it every year in court. I have friends who pay a small fee for a property lawyer to go and fight the value every year so that over the long term they end up paying less than if they just let the district raise it the max every year. But for anyone buying a new home, they'd have to go off that new assessed value and a bubble would be killer.

Texas is a bargain state and the current administration prides himself on how underfunded he can keep the state.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:56 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
What neighborhood is this? Are you sure it's worth $120k? That's the value of tiny houses in the most desolate suburban developments in Katy (no trees and very small lots).
Yep, it was in Clear Lake City. They sold it a few months back for 135 and had multiple offers. Clear Lake isn't Katy and the NASA crash has left its mark on the market. It doesn't have the energy corridor pumping out jobs. They moved to a new development in Pearland and paid 205.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:54 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,077 times
There are some homes in coastal LA real estate values should be expensive and other locales as well. The other areas are just dumps- Lynwood, Downey, San Marino in comparsion to the housing stock in Texas cities, I can't believe the realtors sell that crap for the price or people dumb enough to buy them.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:28 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
A 1.2M house in LA with property taxes $6890 doesn't sound right?
Quote:
Nothing unusual about that at all because of Prop 13. If you read my previous post, you would understand why this is so.
1.2M house with only $6890 in taxes? This is less than 1%, also what about a change in ownership? Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems even with prop 13, taxes on this house should be at least double the $6890 rate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles