Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 04:36 PM

898 posts, read 1,219,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Yeah, we should pay them a lot less so it's harder to make ends meet. That won't open them to listening to the siren song of corruption or anything.
i was in mumbai india and was told that cops make RS 15,000/25,000 a month over there on average. that's roughly around $300/$400 or so USD. for a city like mumbai, it's way too low so what do they do? take bribes to supplement their income. i went by a prostitution brothel and after having sex with a woman, she left and some guy comes in (pimp's right hand man). he was nice to me. he said "i gotta get you outta here." he could have asked me for a bribe to allow me to escape but he didn't. alternately if cops walked in on me, i would have had to pay a bribe as well. instead, i was snuck out by a back entrance that wrapped around the building. turned out that the pimp had not paid his weekly "allowance" to the cops so they were raiding his brothel "this week." they wouldn't shut it down of course because their income stream would disappear. just a bit of muscle flexin' goin' on to make sure the cops get theirs. btw, his brothel was like 10x better than the junk you see in nevada. it was like a 5 star hotel inside. outside looks like a slum but indoors was amazing. wow. all marble with gold everywhere and everything new. he makes so much money every day (he rents out "middle class girls" btw, not street girls - as well as actresses from tv sitcoms which go for about $3k a night and much higher for the bigwigs). anyway, the cops routinely collect money there and if you underpay 'em in LAPD, same will happen. corrupt cops, especially when underpaid? not unheard of. and many police departments are now recruiting minorites (mostly immigrants) who come from third world countries where corruption is the norm, not the exception.

ALSO, do you people realize that you can easily die on any call you respond to as a beat officer? the pencil pushers are getting their worth due to their brains i assume and some nepotism but the beat officers are priceless and some do die every year.

Last edited by Hairy Guy; 04-09-2014 at 04:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 09:39 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
i was in mumbai india and was told that cops make RS 15,000/25,000 a month over there on average. that's roughly around $300/$400 or so USD. for a city like mumbai, it's way too low so what do they do? take bribes to supplement their income. i went by a prostitution brothel and after having sex with a woman, she left and some guy comes in (pimp's right hand man). he was nice to me. he said "i gotta get you outta here." he could have asked me for a bribe to allow me to escape but he didn't. alternately if cops walked in on me, i would have had to pay a bribe as well. instead, i was snuck out by a back entrance that wrapped around the building. turned out that the pimp had not paid his weekly "allowance" to the cops so they were raiding his brothel "this week." they wouldn't shut it down of course because their income stream would disappear. just a bit of muscle flexin' goin' on to make sure the cops get theirs. btw, his brothel was like 10x better than the junk you see in nevada. it was like a 5 star hotel inside. outside looks like a slum but indoors was amazing. wow. all marble with gold everywhere and everything new. he makes so much money every day (he rents out "middle class girls" btw, not street girls - as well as actresses from tv sitcoms which go for about $3k a night and much higher for the bigwigs). anyway, the cops routinely collect money there and if you underpay 'em in LAPD, same will happen. corrupt cops, especially when underpaid? not unheard of. and many police departments are now recruiting minorites (mostly immigrants) who come from third world countries where corruption is the norm, not the exception.

ALSO, do you people realize that you can easily die on any call you respond to as a beat officer? the pencil pushers are getting their worth due to their brains i assume and some nepotism but the beat officers are priceless and some do die every year.
I was an exchange student in Paraguay, and while I was there I visited Brazil. In both countries I was told by locals the cops were corrupt to the point where one has to pay the police to take action. Your daughter gets raped? The cops don't give a crap unless you got money. You might have to take action against her rapist yourself. You got robbed? Unless you're a rich person the cops have no incentive to do anything.

The flip side is if the cops take bribes, someone who commits a crime has cash to give the cops, they can pay off the cops and stop an investigation. Or criminals can buy the services of the cops and get them working for them.

Police and other important civil service people should make enough money not to be easily tempted by bribes. The main people here who are attacking cops for making too much money would be the first people to call the cops if anything went wrong. So what makes you think you're entitled to get safety for next to nothing in pay?

Being a police officer or fireman is an extremely stressful job and these men risk their lives for the public. The least people could do is not be jerks and not disrespect them. These men deserve to be able to take care of themselves AND of their FAMILIES.

The true issue is here is that a lot of college graduates are finding there's a surplus of college graduates in the biggest cities. College graduates won't get paid CRAP outside of a few key private sector industries or certain government unions or the medical field.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:48 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
According to LA Daily News - LA city employee salaries

Over 2,500 individuals that work for the Police Department make over 100k...

2417 make $90-100k ...

Anybody else find this a little disturbing or crazy?...

I don't think people that work in the Police department should be getting min wage..but it just seems a bit excessive...

Also considering the response times for 911 as well...Do we even get what we pay for.

Has anyone else looked at this database and seen crazy salaries in other departments?
No, there are probably over 2,500 people in the LA/Hollywood entertainment industry that make over 500k per year. The police protect you. The others entertain you and nearly half of their output is mediocre IMO. Maybe do a search for longevity of those police employees and I would be surprised if too many of those making over 100k had been there less than ten years. If it was starting pay from Day One before an officer has proven themselves, that would be a serious concern. I know LAPD had a deservedly bad reputation in the 80's and 90's. I had heard that they had improved since then. Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:36 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
I have no problem with this provided there are some caveats. One is that there is a transparent review process for that--they are public servants and that should be available for public review. There are going to be certain jobs within the department that are going to require having some kind of salary that is commensurate with the work involved. Jobs that people honestly risk life and limb? Of course. Jobs that require a high degree of technical knowledge? Certainly. Jobs that require a demonstrated ability to manage as diverse and multifaceted operation as ensuring the enforcement of myriad laws serving a city of nearly 4 million? Yea, why wouldn't that make sense? The transparency is the important part. What I would like in addition to the transparency and oversight would be greater publicity to able, intelligent people that you can work a public sector job that isn't so glamorous and should require a great amount of myriad skills and abilities and make a comfortable living while still doing something that is meaningful and a benefit to society at large. Stats like this should be spread so capable, good people who would otherwise be led into the private sector work will have the idea that they should be in the candidate pool.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:12 AM

2 posts, read 1,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
So because someone has no college degree, they should earn nothing?

The police provided essential services to the public and their lives are on the line. They earn all they get, including their pension.

Every big city gets a surplus of college graduates, which is why a number of college graduates on the lower end are earning less than people who are in unions or who do more blue collar work. It's the commoditization of college education and college graduates.
There are millions of people that provide essential services to the public and don't make half what police make. They need to cut lapd pay and give it to teachers. Also if you look up "most dangerous jobs" in US police officer won't be up there. Too many people are ignorant to the fact the job isn't that dangerous. The deaths are usually made to be very high profile which influences public perception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles