Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 12:05 PM

105 posts, read 306,352 times

Advertisements

There really needs to be some kind of LA county job trader system. It used to be very polarized. Lots lived in Santa Clarita and commuted south and very few did vice-versa. But I've noticed that vice-versa has also got pretty bad in the past year or two. If only these people could just trade jobs to work closer to home. It would take a lot of cars off the road.

BTW, I used to live in SCV and commute to Santa Monica. Most people consider my current commute insane (Pine Mountain Club to Northridge), but IMO SCV to Santa Monica was worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 01:06 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,547,538 times
She needs to find a job closer to yours in Santa Clarita. From what you've stated, your job is the primary reason for the move and she needs to respect that a little bit more. It's either that or you're going to have to find a place that's unfriendly to pets somewhere in between.

Is this harsh advice? Maybe, but it's the truth.

Enjoy the weekend!

Old 03-15-2013, 08:05 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,719 times
Lots of people have dogs in LA and a lot of them live in apartments. I'm sure you can find something with the dog. Here is a little local pet oriented paper that has pet friendly rental listings/links:

http://www.thepetpress-la.com/links.html

Last edited by Spikett; 03-15-2013 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: add pet press info

Old 03-01-2014, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,102 times
Please e mail me your phone number or your e mail address.i am russian 76 yo woman,,i need to get to pine pmc some how,but i do ot drive(never drove in life) my number 1 424 216 02 76.i will greatly appriciated if you can pick me up and drive to pmc.o will pay you for a fuel.thanks.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:18 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Let's see. You are getting a job in Santa Clarita. Hmmm. And LA traffic is horrible. And the metrolink aint great. Hmmm. How about Santa Clarita/Valencia and commuting to Santa Clarita?

Old 03-11-2014, 10:42 PM

3 posts, read 2,969 times
OP, the best place lifestyle and commute wise for the two of you will be the Sherman Oaks/Studio City/Encino area, by the crossroads of the 101 and 405.

I can vouch from the last two years of personal experience that the drive up to Santa Clarita/Valencia in morning peak hour is between 25-35 mins from ShOaks, and about 30-50 mins south to Santa Monica (say 3rd St Promenade, the heart of SanMo).

You have cinemas, parks, restaurants/bars/shopping out the wazoo all along the main Ventura strip, and you are usually only a 25-35 min drive over the hills (via Laurel Canyon or Coldwater Canyon) into WeHo and Bev Hills (out of peak hours). For big nights out in WeHo or Downtown, the option of a taxi or Uber from the ShOaks area is still very affordable ($50-70 a night) and saves any DUI dangers.

For a nice 1 bedder you will be looking at a minimum of $1.6k per month, probably more realistically around the $1.8-2k mark in Sherman Oaks. Studio City, despite being more east-bound from SC and SM, will command a premium due to its proximity to the movie studios and its slightly more hip/trendy image. For the money I'd stick with Sherman Oaks, it's literally the area/city right next door.

Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments is highly useful - it aggregates rental listings from Craigslist and other property sites.

I hope my moving to+living in LA experience gets to help someone else. Feel free to drop me a PM if you want.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:48 PM

3 posts, read 2,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Let's see. You are getting a job in Santa Clarita. Hmmm. And LA traffic is horrible. And the metrolink aint great. Hmmm. How about Santa Clarita/Valencia and commuting to Santa Clarita?
I assume you mean living in SC/Valencia and commuting to Santa Monica. This is absolute madness. Driving north in the mornings from SM to SC and back into the beaches from SC in the evening would literally be twice as fast due to traffic flow.

Getting from the Westside up to SC in the evening isn't overly pleasant, but I can attest to the fact that the commute from SC down the 405South in the mornings is the worse possible thing you can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles