Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 11:23 PM

374 posts, read 721,844 times

Advertisements

NYC is extremely overrated IMO. Unless you have an extremely large income, you pretty much have to live like a peasant.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:39 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,258 times
That's true. A lot of Angelenos barely know anything about their city especially younger Angelenos

Old 04-01-2013, 11:40 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenere View Post
NYC is extremely overrated IMO. Unless you have an extremely large income, you pretty much have to live like a peasant.
The same can be kind of said about LA only the city does offer a lot of free stuff.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:51 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Does LA have an inferiority complex when it comes to NYC
No. You could not pay me to live in that overcrowded, rude, pushy, obnoxious, boisterous, S-hole of a city.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:53 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Does LA have an inferiority complex when it comes to NYC?
No.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:06 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,246,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pyg1a55 View Post
I wonder how many Angelinos have visited their beautiful historic Central Library? Or even knew they had one? Or that it's the largest public library in the West?

Average New Yorkers and other "legacy staters" generally know details of their city and state's histories and landmarks, which helps to foster that sense of civic pride that lacks in Southern California. (by "civic pride" I mean a cohesive sentiment shared by the whole population, not individuals. There's nothing like that here.)
I certainly have. In fact I've been there quite a few times. I find LA such an interesting and unique city and can definately say I'm proud to be an angelino.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:21 AM

374 posts, read 721,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
The same can be kind of said about LA only the city does offer a lot of free stuff.
Not really. The average NYCer spends 52% of his pre-tax income on housing. That is absurd and unhealthy. LA is around 35% which is terrible, but not quite as bad.

You spend multi millions on apartments in NYC.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:31 AM

221 posts, read 347,735 times
I'd get excited about visiting NYC, and it is on my list of places I'd like to see, though nowhere near the top (or I'd have already been there). But then, I also get excited to visit Chicago and DC and Philly. All fun places that are different from here.

However, I wouldn't want to live in any of those cities. I never want to leave the West Coast. I wouldn't say I'm particularly "Angelino" (just arrived here 2 years ago) but I am definitely West Coaster. And I'm proud of that. I'm proud of our large wilderness areas, diverse economy and cultures, and Hispanic influence (and I am particularly fond of Californian Mexican cuisine,which I find is distinctive from New Mexican, Texan, Coloradan, etc.). I love our relatively relaxed attitude out here, and I like the artistry of individual style in LA - the wide array of fashions (vintage, goth, punk, etc.) and body art and so on.

I have never envied New Yorkers. It seemed like a stressful place to live to me.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:27 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
For every one Angelino who has moved to NYC there are at least 69 (obnoxious, chauvinistic) New Yorkers who have moved to LA.
You think so? I would think it'd be a bit less lopsided. NYC is the center of many, many industries, more so than LA. Then again New York is more than twice the size of LA so I guess based on raw numbers your figure may still be in the ballpark, but I think per capita it's a bit more even. I personally know quite a few Angelenos who have moved to NYC, mostly to advance their careers or for the big dense city lifestyle, but of course my perception may be skewed. Other cities on the East Coast, not so much, but NYC definitely seems to be a magnet.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:20 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
I grew up in NYC and any angelino that has an inferiority complex is just foolish. Why would anyone envy living in a city that has cold weather, filthy crowded streets everywhere, a rodent problem, and reliance on an annoying subway system.

Your post is wrong, they are not equal places, Los Angeles wins going away. Of course any New Yorker thats stuck over there will tell you how great the food is, as if there is no other place in the country to get a slice of pizza or a damm bagel.
We are slaves to our cars. We could use the annoying subway system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles