Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 12:33 PM

796 posts, read 1,162,113 times

Advertisements

LA area as of rest of Southern California have basically guaranteed sunny and beautiful weather almost year-round, & guaranteed rain-free and dry basically for like 6 months of the year.

How come not more people drive convertible cars on the streets? I was very surprised that I barely found anyone driving convertibles. When I visited colder regions in Europe, it was more common to see convertible cars during the summer months despite they could only use it for few weeks out of the year. There are affordable convertible cars too.

I was also expecting most homes having a pool... But many people I asked that I knew did not have any.

Last edited by OneLess; 05-03-2013 at 12:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 12:37 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,448,225 times
Not totally sure about this...I agree people driving convertibles with the top down is relatively rare in CA.

Maybe it's one of those things that people just take for granted. While in places like cold parts of Europe..they really appreciate the summers and want to "take advantage" of that summer weather but driving around with the top down..

I've noticed in South Florida convertibles seem a lot more popular versus L.A

Old 05-03-2013, 12:38 PM

171 posts, read 530,505 times
Swimming pools and convertibles are expensive. There aren't as many people in Southern California with that kind of money as you must think there are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
LA area as of rest of Southern California have basically guaranteed sunny and beautiful weather almost year-round, & guaranteed rain-free and dry basically for like 6 months of the year.

How come not more people drive convertible cars on the streets? I was very surprised that I barely found anyone driving convertibles. When I visited colder regions in Europe, it was more common to see convertible cars during the summer months despite they could only use it for few weeks out of the year.

I was also expecting most homes having a pool... But many people I asked that I know did not have any.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:38 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,079 times
Well, convertibles are great in mild weather. But, let it get HOT or Cold and the top down is not so wonderful. That and they are not a secure care. All you need is a sharp blade and your car is toast.

And, as a minor aside, they are not as stiff a car as a sedan. They have cowl shake and not so nice to be sitting in during an accident.

Other than those items, convertibles are fantastic! Especially in California.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:41 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,980,249 times
Cost, insurance, and security of the soft-top are just some reasons against buying one. Additionally, convertibles are a 'want', not a 'need'.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:43 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
You were expecting "MOST homes to have a pool"?? Swimming pools are expensive. They're a luxury item. Possibly most homes in certain exclusive neighborhoods have them. Probably over half the population of SoCal is working-class and low-middle to middle-middle class. These are not economic groups that can afford standard swimming pools. An above-ground pool, yes.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:44 PM

796 posts, read 1,162,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Cost, insurance, and security of the soft-top are just some reasons against buying one. Additionally, convertibles are a 'want', not a 'need'.
Convertible cars doesn't necessary have to be expensive. I'm sure there are plenty of people who could afford them if they can afford other expensive cars.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:52 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,412,451 times
Everyone does seem to have a nice car, though. I laugh at the people who spend all their money on a luxury car and then can't afford anything else.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:05 PM

128 posts, read 179,414 times
People prefer incognito?

Old 05-03-2013, 01:12 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,448,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Everyone does seem to have a nice car, though. I laugh at the people who spend all their money on a luxury car and then can't afford anything else.

True, it's funny that it seems crazy there are so many fancy cars around when median household income is only like $56,000 in L.A county..

A friend had bought a nice new Audi about 3 years ago and I believe is making less than $40,000 ...lives at home though, but just bought a NICER audi... I don't why someone would want that type of big payment and want to pay so much of their income on a depreciating thing.

Of course many people lease these fancy cars...but expensive cars aren't really CHEAP to lease either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles