Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 12:59 PM

52 posts, read 75,646 times

Advertisements

Eh, yeah the weather pretty much ruins Chicago for everyone, even if they love the city. The real truth about Chicago weather: There are about 30 decent days per year, IF you factor in high winds, long periods of rain and clouds, long periods of snow and ice, excessive humidity, freezing cold...... The weather is just a waste of your life. The weather encourages obesity and cigarette smoking in that city. It's gross. And don't forget the outrageous real estate taxes in Chicago. Those poor people paying those kinds of taxes to live in that climate?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 02:12 PM

502 posts, read 717,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girbaud King View Post
Eh, yeah the weather pretty much ruins Chicago for everyone, even if they love the city. The real truth about Chicago weather: There are about 30 decent days per year, IF you factor in high winds, long periods of rain and clouds, long periods of snow and ice, excessive humidity, freezing cold...... The weather is just a waste of your life. The weather encourages obesity and cigarette smoking in that city. It's gross. And don't forget the outrageous real estate taxes in Chicago. Those poor people paying those kinds of taxes to live in that climate?!
Meh, to each their own. I'd take Chicago's entertaining seasonal changes over L.A.'s monotonous weather any day (including Chicago snow days). Valley summers make me depressed. If only L.A. had a more serious rainy/chill season similar to San Fran or Seattle it would be more tolerable.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:41 PM

341 posts, read 708,756 times
The Good:
Great sports town, amazing food and good proportions of it, major metropolitan area, on the lake, summer festivals, four seasons, pleasant people, somewhat affordable for a major city

The Bad:
Frigid winters, annoying accents (haha), high crime pockets, though considered the "2nd city" (second to NY) and a very international one at that... It still has a distinct Midwestern mindset. By this I mean somewhat close minded, set in its ways type of mentality. No offense. Though not truly just another fly-over city, it ain't like a NY or LA. Sorry.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:53 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightforlove View Post
Meh, to each their own. I'd take Chicago's entertaining seasonal changes over L.A.'s monotonous weather any day (including Chicago snow days). Valley summers make me depressed. If only L.A. had a more serious rainy/chill season similar to San Fran or Seattle it would be more tolerable.
We have May gray/June gloom! Seriously though, its not like its sunny ALL the time in LA. And being California as a whole, you have so much variation. For example: Above 6000 feet in the San Gabriels, they get about as much precip as Chicago or Seattle!

Conversely, San Jose, technically the biggest city in the Bay Area, also an inland valley there, gets about the same average precip as LA, (about 13-14 inches on average).

Overall, San Frans average annual precip of about 21-22 inches, is closer to LAs of about 13-14 inches, than Seattles 38 inches. (even Seattle is not as rainy as people think - the Olympic peninsula catches most of it - now THATs a rain forest). Most of the Bay Area is actually too dry to support its famed redwoods, its only ocean facing ravines where you find those cathedral groves.

Just a little tidbit.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:29 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
For anyone complaining about Chicago's crime, if you live in most of the North Side, crime is really not much of an issue other than an occasional typical urban annoyance in terms of car break-ins and so on. There are some nice pockets of the West Side and South Side, but definitely about 3/5ths of the city is a no-go area, which is kinda depressing. LA generally feels pretty tame compared to the crappy parts of the South Side, which look like a bomb went off there 50 years ago and nobody ever bothered to fix up anything.

But the nice parts of the North Side are just really lovely and don't have much crime--I'd say it's the best large urban place in the US, especially considering how inexpensive it is compared with cities like San Francisco or NYC which also have a lot of crappy parts. So if you're thinking of a relocation, aim for da North Side.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:37 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
For anyone complaining about Chicago's crime, if you live in most of the North Side, crime is really not much of an issue other than an occasional typical urban annoyance in terms of car break-ins and so on. There are some nice pockets of the West Side and South Side, but definitely about 3/5ths of the city is a no-go area, which is kinda depressing. LA generally feels pretty tame compared to the crappy parts of the South Side, which look like a bomb went off there 50 years ago and nobody ever bothered to fix up anything.

But the nice parts of the North Side are just really lovely and don't have much crime--I'd say it's the best large urban place in the US, especially considering how inexpensive it is compared with cities like San Francisco or NYC which also have a lot of crappy parts. So if you're thinking of a relocation, aim for da North Side.
As much as I counteract Chicago boosterism, this is spot on. I don't understand why/how people don't understand this.

Actually when I think of what I can't stand about the South Side of Chicago, I think more of the GREATER South side, including the vast suburban Southland region. Theres PLENTY of nice, safe south suburbs, and of course even a few nice city proper neighborhoods. My reasons why I wouldn't live in those areas, is because IMO white South Side culture is kind of narrow minded, black and white thinking, and provincial. I'm serious there is a real subculture there that is very limited and set in their ways.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:16 AM

52 posts, read 75,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifico View Post
It still has a distinct Midwestern mindset. By this I mean somewhat close minded, set in its ways type of mentality. No offense. Though not truly just another fly-over city, it ain't like a NY or LA. Sorry.
It makes no sense that Chicago votes so liberally yet maintains such a strong undercurrent of conservatism. It's actually really annoying. It's harder to be independent/ artsy/ unique in Chicago compared to LA... People in Chicago prefer to live up to stereotypes.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 13,708 times
Born and raised there; benn living in LA for about ten yrs. My thoughts:

1. You better be able to deal with bad weather most winters from Nov-April. Sometimes horrible.

2. Nowhere near the variety of things to do like in LA;almost every activity is associated with eating or drinking alcohol. Not for everybody.

3. In LA, you can kinda "find" the part of LA that fits you. In chgo, not so much. All of the "progressive" people live on the north side (other than maybe Oak Park on the west side), and they all do "northside" things;hangout on the lakefront, go to bars, pubs, cubs games, etc. But with that being said, if you like that type of scene, more power to you. There's just not alot of options. That type of environment doesn't really exist in LA. At least not with the neighborhood feel you'll get in chgo.

4. Most racially segregated city in the country. Period. No question.

5. Cost of living doesn't really make you feel you're getting what you paid for, unless you are really into the things listed in #3.

6. More political corruption than any other city in the country. Unless you've lived there, you just can't imagine how bad it is. Have I been to every city? Not at all. But its a known fact all over the country that chgo politics are a joke. The whole state, actually. I'm pretty sure the last 2 governors are in prison; at least I know one of them is. What does that tell you??

7. People are far more genuine and real than in LA. Which is something that you can't really put a price tag on. I think you'd be hardpressed to find people less social than the ones here in LA, unless you can do something for them, that is.

8. If you're stable in your career, and dream of having that nice house in the burbs, 2.5 kids, etc, chgo, is probably the better fit. Too many variables in LA can complicate that, mainly traffic and cost of living.

9.If you are more comfortable living by the edge of your seat, taking things day by day, being more of a risk taker, LA is probably a better fit.

10. At the end of the day, it comes down to what you're most comfortable with, and your tolerance level. Crime has become somewhat unpredictable in most areas of the city, even some parts of the northside and d-town. If you're an outdoors-type person, it probabaly doesn't get much better than LA. And I think most of the things chgo does well, you could find in another city that does them just as well, if not better, with more options, less crime, and better weather.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:16 PM

896 posts, read 1,400,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girbaud King View Post
It makes no sense that Chicago votes so liberally yet maintains such a strong undercurrent of conservatism. It's actually really annoying. It's harder to be independent/ artsy/ unique in Chicago compared to LA... People in Chicago prefer to live up to stereotypes.
It is economically liberal so Chicago mostly votes Democratic/liberal, but socially conservative in way of social norms and conforming mindsets.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:34 PM

896 posts, read 1,400,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by positraction View Post
Born and raised there; benn living in LA for about ten yrs. My thoughts:

1. You better be able to deal with bad weather most winters from Nov-April. Sometimes horrible.

2. Nowhere near the variety of things to do like in LA;almost every activity is associated with eating or drinking alcohol. Not for everybody.

3. In LA, you can kinda "find" the part of LA that fits you. In chgo, not so much. All of the "progressive" people live on the north side (other than maybe Oak Park on the west side), and they all do "northside" things;hangout on the lakefront, go to bars, pubs, cubs games, etc. But with that being said, if you like that type of scene, more power to you. There's just not alot of options. That type of environment doesn't really exist in LA. At least not with the neighborhood feel you'll get in chgo.

4. Most racially segregated city in the country. Period. No question.

5. Cost of living doesn't really make you feel you're getting what you paid for, unless you are really into the things listed in #3.

6. More political corruption than any other city in the country. Unless you've lived there, you just can't imagine how bad it is. Have I been to every city? Not at all. But its a known fact all over the country that chgo politics are a joke. The whole state, actually. I'm pretty sure the last 2 governors are in prison; at least I know one of them is. What does that tell you??

7. People are far more genuine and real than in LA. Which is something that you can't really put a price tag on. I think you'd be hardpressed to find people less social than the ones here in LA, unless you can do something for them, that is.

8. If you're stable in your career, and dream of having that nice house in the burbs, 2.5 kids, etc, chgo, is probably the better fit. Too many variables in LA can complicate that, mainly traffic and cost of living.

9.If you are more comfortable living by the edge of your seat, taking things day by day, being more of a risk taker, LA is probably a better fit.

10. At the end of the day, it comes down to what you're most comfortable with, and your tolerance level. Crime has become somewhat unpredictable in most areas of the city, even some parts of the northside and d-town. If you're an outdoors-type person, it probabaly doesn't get much better than LA. And I think most of the things chgo does well, you could find in another city that does them just as well, if not better, with more options, less crime, and better weather.

Exactly, I found my work niche but socially for me is in the tank except for a few weeks in summers. I realize there is more to life than work. Even though I do love to work. However, I agree with that if you are not into drinking, eating, or staying out until 4 am socially you are left out. I like to to do those things but mix it up with some outdoors activities and have real nature around me.

I always in conflict because I love to go out mingle, dance, and be outside but I am not a late night person. The number one thing you hear from other cities is the nightlife scene is not as good because you can not party until 4am or later. I was never into the typical bar scene even in college. I found two club/lounges spot that I loved that were more mature, but the people were more friendly and open. This was at Michigan State. So when people said oh Chicago it just like being at Michigan State. I expected to find this friendly energetic type niche. I realized after five years it more of the bar scene I use to walk past at 21, but the people are much less friendly. So can you walk into club or lounge by yourself and feel like a regular the first time like I was in school, or is it like this every big city.

In addition another thing that I can not understand . Do you really need to be out at crazy hours to have fun. Even in college I would leave lounge, bar or club before last call and that was at 1:45 am. I like that bars or whatever close a normal time.
I want to get up in the morning and get my day started.

For all the L.A residents who are from Chicago. How was the energy transition. One of the only things I would truly miss about Chicago is the street energy. I really love being around places where people walk around, and I just did not get that vibe the last time I went to L.A.

I was in West Hollywood and Santa Monica on Fri and Sat night and it was little to no street traffic. Maybe it was too early like 8pm, but it did leave me a little depressed.

How was that adjustment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles