Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 08:09 PM

61 posts, read 398,855 times

Advertisements

Please update this in a few months with your observations

Looking to move from the midwest within the year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 07:44 AM

218 posts, read 362,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vary View Post
Late to the party, but congratulations on the move!
Thanks!

Old 07-10-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
So DCNita, this is pretty much a long-term permanent settlement for you? If so, then I hope you really like it here.
Yep! I've had 30 years in DC...had enough.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViaSwiss View Post
Please update this in a few months with your observations

Looking to move from the midwest within the year
Will do!

My first observation is that TRAFFIC SUCKS! LOL! Burbank is hot as hell I damn near got 3rd degree burns on my left driving arm waiting at a drive thru window. Navigating the streets through LA so far has been great. I have so many alternate street routes already.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:13 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
I'm glad we don't have humidity here, but yeah some parts can get really hot. I remember being in the valley, couldn't stand the dry heat. That's why I will only live near the water.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:54 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNita View Post
Will do!

My first observation is that TRAFFIC SUCKS! LOL! Burbank is hot as hell I damn near got 3rd degree burns on my left driving arm waiting at a drive thru window. Navigating the streets through LA so far has been great. I have so many alternate street routes already.
I hope you aren't surprised by the traffic. It's no secret it's a nightmare. Burbank is huge and some parts are actually hotter than others (with the Valley, the farther out you go, the hotter it tends to be and the Valley is always hotter than the LA basin). It's been hot for this time of year - and more humid than usual which makes it worse since it doesn't cool down as fast or as much in the evening. Knowing alternate routes is great - it cuts down on the stress if you know a different way to go and it's so much better than just sitting in traffic.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I'm glad we don't have humidity here, but yeah some parts can get really hot. I remember being in the valley, couldn't stand the dry heat. That's why I will only live near the water.
I may consider moving closer to the water eventually. I do like the Santa Monica area.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I hope you aren't surprised by the traffic. It's no secret it's a nightmare. Burbank is huge and some parts are actually hotter than others (with the Valley, the farther out you go, the hotter it tends to be and the Valley is always hotter than the LA basin). It's been hot for this time of year - and more humid than usual which makes it worse since it doesn't cool down as fast or as much in the evening. Knowing alternate routes is great - it cuts down on the stress if you know a different way to go and it's so much better than just sitting in traffic.
Surprised...nah. Thank God this commute is temporary for me until my daughter starts school. I'm taking her to summer camp everyday over the hill. I had to use an alternate route to my alternate route today...lol. Queen Latifah is at the Hollywood Bowl tonight and traffic was worse than usual going north on both N. Highland (which I stay away from if at all possible) and my alternate route using Crescent Heights/Laurel Canyon. I couldn't get past Sunset so I headed to West Hollywood via Sunset and headed up Coldwater Canyon which was waaaaaaaay better than Laurel Canyon today. Not only did I have to deal with traffic but the crazy pedestrians may be equally worse.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:24 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,453,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNita View Post
Surprised...nah. Thank God this commute is temporary for me until my daughter starts school. I'm taking her to summer camp everyday over the hill. I had to use an alternate route to my alternate route today...lol. Queen Latifah is at the Hollywood Bowl tonight and traffic was worse than usual going north on both N. Highland (which I stay away from if at all possible) and my alternate route using Crescent Heights/Laurel Canyon. I couldn't get past Sunset so I headed to West Hollywood via Sunset and headed up Coldwater Canyon which was waaaaaaaay better than Laurel Canyon today. Not only did I have to deal with traffic but the crazy pedestrians may be equally worse.
Dang, you sound like an Angeleno.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:44 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,246,328 times
The Hollywood Bowl is a must see. I've been there a few times this year and its a great place to see a concert. I was at the Playboy Jazz Festival a few weeks ago. I also saw Herbie Hancock and Carlos Santa, the LA Philharmonic and I got my tickets for Natalie Cole next month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles