Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 11,404 times

Advertisements

Hi, I live in Los Angeles. Every Monday, I take my trash bins out to the street to be emptied by the sanitation trucks. I line them up in front of one of my garages. My neighbor will then come out later and move my garbage bins over in front of my driveway, thus blocking part of my driveway, so that he can make room to put some of his bins in front of that garage (MY garage).

I've asked him numerous times to not do that. He has his own garages he can put them in front of, but he doesn't want to ruin his garages (built a studio on top). Therefore, he chooses the area in front of my garage to put his bins.

Like I said, I've asked him numerous times to please stop moving my bins over to block my driveway, but it's in one ear then out the other. I've even had to get the local police involved. They paid him a visit and told him to stop doing that. That lasted about a month or so. Then he was back at it again, moving my bins over and blocking my driveway. I can't call the police every time he does this; they're not my official mediator.

I've put up signs ("Active Driveway. Do Not Block."). That doesn't work either. What else can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 07:35 PM

12 posts, read 39,220 times
You should send him a certified letter (return receipt requested) detailing your problem, and the multiple attempts at resolution. Cite any city code ordinance that you can, and discuss how it impacts you. You can say that it takes time out of your day, makes you late for work, hinders your back problem, or whatever way you can paint how this affects you.

Also, make sure to cite the damage to your garbage cans. Mention that you will take legal action, and follow through and file in small claims court if he does not abide. Video tape him moving the cans. It's sad that you may have to settle this in court, but he is the one who does not exercise common courtesy, so any legal proceedings are his fault alone.

You also may want to talk to your HOA (if you have one) or ask the city code enforcement if they can enforce this, and let them handle it.

Best wishes to you.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:48 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,305,223 times
Just pick up the cans an chuck em, problem solved.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:55 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,329 times
Keep the cans, throw the garbage onto his driveway.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:47 PM

199 posts, read 400,395 times
Option 1: Wheel his trash cans to the next block over and let him figure it out.

Option 2: Fill his trash cans with cement and water.

Option 3: Wipe your turd on his trash can handles.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:22 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,423,007 times
Screw the letter - try one of the options listed subsequently. I think me personally, I'd just shove his bins back in front of his driveway, and if the trash should happen to spill, well, too bad. If he complains, I'd tell him to hop into one of them.

But making his bins disappear would definitely get the message across. Just make sure to mark your own bins beforehand so he doesn't take yours.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:46 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,387,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashi View Post
Option 1: Wheel his trash cans to the next block over and let him figure it out.

Option 2: Fill his trash cans with cement and water.

Option 3: Wipe your turd on his trash can handles.
I like how your mind works

Old 07-02-2013, 03:59 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,862,607 times
Does he have a gun?

Old 07-08-2013, 07:32 PM

223 posts, read 523,640 times
Wheel them into the middle of the street blocking the trucks path a few houses down.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:06 PM

10,029 posts, read 9,503,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vloom00 View Post
Hi, I live in Los Angeles. Every Monday, I take my trash bins out to the street to be emptied by the sanitation trucks. I line them up in front of one of my garages. My neighbor will then come out later and move my garbage bins over in front of my driveway, thus blocking part of my driveway, so that he can make room to put some of his bins in front of that garage (MY garage).

I've asked him numerous times to not do that. He has his own garages he can put them in front of, but he doesn't want to ruin his garages (built a studio on top). Therefore, he chooses the area in front of my garage to put his bins.

Like I said, I've asked him numerous times to please stop moving my bins over to block my driveway, but it's in one ear then out the other. I've even had to get the local police involved. They paid him a visit and told him to stop doing that. That lasted about a month or so. Then he was back at it again, moving my bins over and blocking my driveway. I can't call the police every time he does this; they're not my official mediator.

I've put up signs ("Active Driveway. Do Not Block."). That doesn't work either. What else can I do?
Hmmmm..... Was this an addition he built (studio) over his garage? Wonder if it is up to code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: