Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 07:56 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,497,588 times

Advertisements

Just curious if any former east coasters now living in LA have an answer for this...

Everyone says there is a big difference between summers in NY and summers in CA...the heat in CA is drier, so that it doesn't feel as oppressive.

I was speaking to a friend of mine who said they visited southern CA in the summer and it was very hot, they said that it felt just as hot as NY, which I find hard to believe.

The heat here in NY is just awful, and I love warm weather. But this isn't even the type of warm weather you can enjoy - it is too hot and humid, it feels like it sucks the life out of you. So basically, I can't even enjoy my favorite season.

So I was just curious if anyone had input..are the summers (June, July August) in southern CA more bearable than they are out here in the east coast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 08:02 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,412,451 times
I moved here from Florida, and I spend a lot of time in New York. It really depends on where you plan on living in SoCal.

I for one hate humidity, but I can't stand this dry heat either. Whenever I travel to other parts of LA, like the Valley, it just drives me insane. I'd rather have the humidity. But luckily I live near the water, so I never encounter any of that.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:49 AM

241 posts, read 429,455 times
The weather in San Diego is just about perfect. Not too hott and not too cold. Humidity is just right .

Old 07-08-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I moved here from Florida, and I spend a lot of time in New York. It really depends on where you plan on living in SoCal.

I for one hate humidity, but I can't stand this dry heat either. Whenever I travel to other parts of LA, like the Valley, it just drives me insane. I'd rather have the humidity. But luckily I live near the water, so I never encounter any of that.
I went to Florida twice in the summer and both times the humidity was just unreal.

I hope to live near the water too...that way I won't have to experience the intense dry heat.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:26 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
I lived in Boston for a few summers and now LA for a few summers.

Depending on where you are in Los Angeles, particularly in the eastern parts of the basin, it can actually be a bit hot and humid. Nothing compared to the east coast cities or especially the south, but it's not a dry-heat like you would get in Vegas or Phoenix.

However, in other parts like the Inland Empire or High Desert, you do get that dry heat. Of course temperatures in the summer are routinely 15-20 degrees hotter there than in the LA Basin.

The Valleys are sort of a mix of the two, pretty dry heat and usually 5-10 degrees warmer than in the LA Basin.

The Coastal areas are usually pretty temperate and cooler than the Basin in the summer.

On newscasts that is typically how you see reports broken down - Basin / Metro LA, Valleys, Deserts and Coastal Areas.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I lived in Boston for a few summers and now LA for a few summers.

Depending on where you are in Los Angeles, particularly in the eastern parts of the basin, it can actually be a bit hot and humid. Nothing compared to the east coast cities or especially the south, but it's not a dry-heat like you would get in Vegas or Phoenix.

However, in other parts like the Inland Empire or High Desert, you do get that dry heat. Of course temperatures in the summer are routinely 15-20 degrees hotter there than in the LA Basin.

The Valleys are sort of a mix of the two, pretty dry heat and usually 5-10 degrees warmer than in the LA Basin.

The Coastal areas are usually pretty temperate and cooler than the Basin in the summer.

On newscasts that is typically how you see reports broken down - Basin / Metro LA, Valleys, Deserts and Coastal Areas.
That's what I wanted to hear, thank you! Lol. Just can't wait to get out of this humidity.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:38 AM

64 posts, read 133,947 times
CA heat is much more bearable. I moved from GA to So Cal and the difference is obvious. I can be outdoors in 100+ heat here in CA, and not break a sweat. In Ga, the humidity would have me soaked from head to toe and drain the energy right out of me.

I traveled back to GA in June and couldn't believe the noticeable difference. It was like hitting a brick wall when I walked out of the airport.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:47 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,804,815 times
Currently in Charlotte, NC now where we have been getting scattered showers for about 2 weeks straight...then the sun comes out and makes everything steamy/humid/muggy.....Horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I'll take west-coast heat anytime..

Old 07-08-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama1787 View Post
CA heat is much more bearable. I moved from GA to So Cal and the difference is obvious. I can be outdoors in 100+ heat here in CA, and not break a sweat. In Ga, the humidity would have me soaked from head to toe and drain the energy right out of me.

[b]I traveled back to GA in June and couldn't believe the noticeable difference. It was like hitting a brick wall when I walked out of the airport.

A friend of mine described it the same way...he grew up here in NYC and moved out to West Hollywood several years ago. He said that when he came to visit his family here and got out of the airport, he couldn't believe it...he said "how did I ever live here"..

Last edited by Count David; 07-09-2013 at 07:58 AM..

Old 07-08-2013, 10:19 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama1787 View Post

I traveled back to GA in June and couldn't believe the noticeable difference. It was like hitting a brick wall when I walked out of the airport.
As my grandmother (from KY) said, it's like walking into a hot, wet blanket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles