Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 05:30 PM

374 posts, read 721,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySeeds View Post
Stop overthinking you will just hurt yourself. Here comes the social label correctness in 3, 2,... 1...
No it's okay, I thought she might be looking for a neighborhood featuring people who were born in Africa. Not many of those around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 05:50 PM

150 posts, read 252,604 times
NYwriter...I actually agree with you and if I were a single woman without a child, I certainly would not need an area with a strong African American community. However, since I have a son I do want him to be in a diverse area, but also an area with a strong African American prescence. LOL, when I say strong African American prescence, I don't mean a bad neighborhood or a quote on quote "ghetto". Where I live now in Alexandria VA it is very diverse, however, the AA's that are here very well rounded and career/family oriented. I want my son to grow up seeing this. BTW...I can't stand humidity.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:59 PM

Jacktravern...thanks so much for your post. I knew the number of AA's were alot less in California and to be completely honest it will take some getting used to coming from the DC metro area. I do think Cali's natural beauty and scenery will more than make up for it though I do want to be a homeowner someday, hopefully two years from now when I turn 30 I can save up more. I am not a big fan of condo's though so I will definately have to save up more money.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:01 PM

"South Central". It has the presence you are seeking.
Other options would be Watts, Compton, or Riverside County is very cheap I hear.
Good luck

Ha ha

Old 07-10-2013, 08:40 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Yeah, but in places like ATL, or North Carolina, you actually have black areas that prosper as compared to NYC and LA. I didn't say she couldn't enjoy herself here, Im telling her that her dating life wont be that great considering the small black population

If you've never had issues with any Asians and Hispanics out here, that's on you. Im telling the OP right now, that the black/Mexican crowd don't walk as hand in hand as blacks do with Puerto Ricans and Dominicans. Somebody may not have said it to your face but I don't know the crowd you were dealing with.
I have heard Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and AFRICAN AMERICANS pejoratively refer to very dark skinned people as gorillas, and say other very negative things about Blacks. I've heard people in all three talk about "good" hair (hair more like a white person) and say bad things about "bad" hair (hair like an African). So whatever a Mexican may say, the OP will have heard it from other blacks, as there is a very vicious self hating crowd of Blacks.

As for the dating scene, she has plenty of options if she is good looking. She could be open to men of all races. Why should she limit herself solely to Black men? She should consider anyone who is nice to her.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:48 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacollins View Post
NYwriter...I actually agree with you and if I were a single woman without a child, I certainly would not need an area with a strong African American community. However, since I have a son I do want him to be in a diverse area, but also an area with a strong African American prescence. LOL, when I say strong African American prescence, I don't mean a bad neighborhood or a quote on quote "ghetto". Where I live now in Alexandria VA it is very diverse, however, the AA's that are here very well rounded and career/family oriented. I want my son to grow up seeing this. BTW...I can't stand humidity.
I can understand this, you don't want your son to be the only Black kid. Yes, you can find racially diverse (areas with people of all races) in Los Angeles. I saw people of all races in the Westside of Los Angeles, which is generally well off (there are some ghetto areas). But if you're willingly to live a little inland, things get a lot cheaper. You might check out Culver City or Mar Visa. I would say the Westside generally has good schools. I would say Hollywood is diverse and okay, but I can't comment on the schools there.

But do keep in mind that there are no well off neighborhoods with a "strong African American" presence in Los Angeles. You'll find diverse neighborhoods that are well to do with some African Americans, but if you keep asking for strong African American presence, you're going to have people refer you to Compton, Watts, South Central, etc. I would advise back away from defining everything as AA some. Just concentrate on finding a nice place in a nice area, enjoy the weather and while I can understand the need for diversity, do realize the demographics of Los Angeles are what they are and people in this forum cannot give you answers that don't exist. That's why you had a poster recommend Atlanta or certain other cities for you, if you're going to constantly emphasize the strong AA presence.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:22 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Was your lifelong dream of California limited to the tiny part that is LA? Because there are way more places than that which would meet your criteria better. You housing budget is not going to get you much anywhere good though.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:11 AM

416 posts, read 560,186 times
LA is very segregated period. It's so vast that ethnicities carve out huge areas to call their own and stay put there. Some people live their entire lives in just one area and never leave. So why bother learning more about other types of people? LA has a lot of great attributes but 'diversity' in the true sense of the word? No. I've lived in midwest cities (Minneapolis, Chicago) that are far more integrated and diverse.

As a east coast native (NJ, NY) I also have to say that the AA community in LA is just...different. There is definitely more of a us vs. them besieged undercurrent. Just speaking of my experience in LA, not Long Beach or further south.

Bottom line: LA would not be my first pick for a single parent looking for 'community' and good education, regardless of race unless you have $$$$.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:11 AM

937 posts, read 1,135,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenere View Post
Well you certainly won't have to stress out trying to stay above average as a teacher in LA.

However, the only actual "African Americans" I know here are a white couple from South Africa who play a lot of tennis.
FYI: Europeans born in South Africa consider themselves Afrikaners. Afrikaners are a mixture of Dutch and English. They are the group primarily responsible for implementing the brutal system of apartheid and the colorism scheme throughout South Africa. Within their apartheid structure, the Afrikaners were on top, the indigenous Africans were on the bottom, and mixed race and other non blacks were placed in the middle.

The white tennis couple that you know, would therefore be "Afrikaner American" not African American. Also, If a black South African relocated to the states, they would be South African American, not African American. African American is a term used by blacks who have slave ancestry in this nation. The label "African American" is used, because most blacks with slave ancestry do not know where exactly their ancestors originated from in Africa. Newly arriving Africans clearly know their lineage, therefore if they chose to hyphenate their ethnic background, they would be Nigerian American, South African American, Senegalese American, Kenyan American etc... etc.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:58 AM

106 posts, read 171,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
FYI: Europeans born in South Africa consider themselves Afrikaners. Afrikaners are a mixture of Dutch and English. They are the group primarily responsible for implementing the brutal system of apartheid and the colorism scheme throughout South Africa. Within their apartheid structure, the Afrikaners were on top, the indigenous Africans were on the bottom, and mixed race and other non blacks were placed in the middle.

The white tennis couple that you know, would therefore be "Afrikaner American" not African American. Also, If a black South African relocated to the states, they would be South African American, not African American. African American is a term used by blacks who have slave ancestry in this nation. The label "African American" is used, because most blacks with slave ancestry do not know where exactly their ancestors originated from in Africa. Newly arriving Africans clearly know their lineage, therefore if they chose to hyphenate their ethnic background, they would be Nigerian American, South African American, Senegalese American, Kenyan American etc... etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles