Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 11:16 PM

150 posts, read 252,604 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a single AA mom of a 3 year old currently living in the DC metro area. However, I have always dreamed of living in California ever since I was a little girl lol. I have a very warm and friendly personality and love that California seems so laid back yet at the same time very progressive. I am a special education teacher and ready to make the move to a stress free life. The DC metro just has too much traffic, esp. where I live in northern Virginia and sometimes people aren't as friendly. Both my mom and my ex-husband think I need to try out southern cali for a school term to see if this is really my dream or else I would regret never having tried. I have no family in the area. Most of my family are in the DC metro area, although my mom will soon be retiring to Orlando, FL. Therefore, I will be on my own and need areas where daycare and living costs are relatively inexpensive. In addition, I am looking for areas with a significant African American prescence. This is one of the things I do appreciate about the DC metro area. African Americans really do well here. I am looking for something similar in Cali. Also, for those who've moved to southern California, how does it stack up against the DC metro area? How is dating for AA women?

Please any opinion or advice welcome...I have only one shot at this since when my son starts kindergarten I plan on staying rooted for a long while. I should also note that I am considering moving to Atlanta (I have family there too and it is closer to Orlando), but California is so my first choice. I will post this in the SD forum as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 11:37 PM

925 posts, read 1,333,851 times
I will try to answer your questions:
1. Traffic in SoCal is worst than DC/Northern Virgina and Atlanta
2. Weather is beautiful everyday IF you have the time, there are plenty of outdoor space to stroll around (beaches, mountains, parks, walkable streets, out door malls, etc)
3. SoCal is greatly more expensive than Atlanta (I lived in ATL before moving to SoCal). 1000 will get you a nice new apartment in ATL vs 1500-2000 in SoCal.
4. I'm Asian,I feel Californa is the Asian Mecca of America. Atlanta is the African American mecca of America.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:55 PM

367 posts, read 673,076 times
What's your rental budget like?

DC and ATL are the preeminent cities for black professionals, but LA has its fair share as well. Black people hold a fair amount of power in this city despite a pretty low demographic representation (9%).

Mid City, Altadena, and Leimert Park are a few fairly inexpensive middle class neighborhoods with a strong AA presence. I think LA is a far better choice for you than San Diego, because from what i've gathered, the only areas of San Diego with high black population are ghettos

Old 07-10-2013, 12:12 AM

I am not sure how much teachers are paid in the area, but I am just guessing my rental budget would be around 1200 at the most when I take into account daycare and taxes.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:16 AM

I prefer California to Atlanta. Atlanta is only an option if California won't be doable considering my situation.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:19 AM

374 posts, read 721,774 times
Well you certainly won't have to stress out trying to stay above average as a teacher in LA.

However, the only actual "African Americans" I know here are a white couple from South Africa who play a lot of tennis.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:42 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,663,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjt123 View Post
What's your rental budget like?
Mid City, Altadena, and Leimert Park are a few fairly inexpensive middle class neighborhoods with a strong AA presence. I think LA is a far better choice for you than San Diego, because from what i've gathered, the only areas of San Diego with high black population are ghettos
You can rent a 1 bedroom in Altadena place for about $1200, but its going to be fairly tricky. There are very few apartments so 1 BR is mostly going to be guest homes, garage apartments, etc. The real problem, though, is the school district is mediocre at best. With a child going into kindergarten I assume this would actually be a major concern. However, there are several good private schools in the area and they do offer scholarships/need based assistance so maybe that would be an option.

(I'm also going to assume any schools in LAUSD are also terrible, so Leimert Park and Mid City will also have this problem, but I could be wrong about that.)

Old 07-10-2013, 09:59 AM

8 posts, read 29,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenere View Post
Well you certainly won't have to stress out trying to stay above average as a teacher in LA.

However, the only actual "African Americans" I know here are a white couple from South Africa who play a lot of tennis.
Stop overthinking you will just hurt yourself. Here comes the social label correctness in 3, 2,... 1...

Old 07-10-2013, 10:44 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
At first I thought "AA" meant she was in Alcoholics Anonymous. Seriously.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:48 AM

I would only want to rent for a year. After that, I would want to own a home. My budget for a home would be no more than $215,000. I would like for it to have a backyard for my son to play. I promised him a dog when he turns 5.

Also, schools are very important to me. Not only the quality of education (I will be providing a lot of enrichment on my own), but I want him in a school where there is no bullying and students feel good about attending. My biggest fear would be sending him to a school where he cries everyday because he doesn't want to go. Please keep the responses coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles