Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 02:42 AM

153 posts, read 637,397 times

Advertisements

Good suggestions so far. But I honestly think you might want to check out Culver City. It's been up and coming for about the last 15 years, but it's still not sparkly and shiny. It's actually got quite a cute little vibe; kind of yuppie but not overly so. It's also a pretty decent commute to Westwood.

Based on what you said, however, I think you might also want to check out Koreatown. I worked at Sony and lived in K-town, so the commute is definitely doable. Definitely interesting and a fun/lively vibe. It's urban living, so as long as your comfortable with that, give it a look see. Oh, and I agree about Downtown, only because it rocks as far as "interesting". I lived there for about two years and loved every minute of it. But the commute would be...something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 07:29 AM

10 posts, read 18,616 times
Thanks! I heard Culver City might be a good place, although I was told it has good and bad parts. Now, I'm no stranger to city living (I'm moving from London, and not like...the nice parts of London) but how bad are we talking when they say "bad parts?" I don't mind homeless people or a little crime, but want to feel ok walking short distances at night.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:29 PM

153 posts, read 637,397 times
The bad parts of Culver City are nothing. I would even hesitate to call them truly "bad". They're maybe what I would call, "less affluent", kind of yucky. The thing is, you'll know when you're in an undesirable area. The grass on the lawns will be brown, the storefronts will be shoddy and the cars will be older. Believe me, you'll know. So, if you just stay out if those areas you should be good. (There's also an area called Palms/Mar Vista that borders Culver City and you'll want to stay away from there- kinda strip mall-y and old, nothing you'd want to come home to)

You might want to take a stroll around the Downtown Culver City/ Main St/Sony Studios area. It'll give you a good mix of the yuppie stuff (hip, new eateries and shops) and the workaday life you'd get there (farmers market, people walking dogs, etc). Google Downtown Culver City and you'll get an idea.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:47 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,304,393 times
Agreed. No real "bad" areas in Culver City. The west end that borders Del Rey is a little, hmm, off, and the north east end that borders Mid-City is too. But there are far far worse areas, and while those parts of Culver aren't exactly luxurious, they aren't dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles