Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 12:46 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
"ghetto" meaning not as nice and tending to have people of a darker complexion. not saying disgruntled is saying that, he put it in quotes, but we know what people mean.

Lol. Just not as nice. I wouldn't call Ladera Heights or View Park Windsor Hills ghetto and people there are mostly darker complexion.

Parts of the northeast valley have plenty of whites and I might call them ghetto.

East West Hollywood is sorta ghetto because of the Russians (nothing against Russians, just some of them around there) and prostitutes and drug dealers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 03:10 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Lol. Just not as nice. I wouldn't call Ladera Heights or View Park Windsor Hills ghetto and people there are mostly darker complexion.

Parts of the northeast valley have plenty of whites and I might call them ghetto.

East West Hollywood is sorta ghetto because of the Russians (nothing against Russians, just some of them around there) and prostitutes and drug dealers.
I know you wouldn't D. That wasn't meant towards you at all. But there are those that mean it as code. Shoot I've hung out with people that called Ladera "ghetto" and I knew it was only based on the skin color. Anyway, you're good bruh.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:36 AM

193 posts, read 465,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
Venice Crime - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

Subtract the recent boardwalk incident, check back a few weeks, and you'll get a good look at the day to day crime in the area. It is much safer than in the 80's-90's, but it's not the safest part of the Westside.
remember that the crime rates themselves can be somewhat inflated due to the fact that Venice's daily population includes a gigantic amount of tourists and visitors

I agree that venice isnt the safest part of the westside (its hard when you got the palisades, brentwood, bel-air, etc competing) but its fairly safe

Old 08-17-2013, 03:18 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,022 times
I wasn't saying that it isn't relatively safe NOW. I was saying that it was a very dangerous area when I was growing up, filled with gangs. I was also pointing out that the area still has more crime than most of the surrounding neighborhoods, and no, it's not due to tourists...maybe some vagabonds. There is still a tiny bit of "hood" left in the area.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:26 PM

38 posts, read 59,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I've lived in LA my whole life (am 35). Did anyone use to go to the marina marketplace in the 90's? I remember Westworld, a Carls Jr, Marie Calendars (where the Stella is now). There was a 20/20 video where the Chase bank is now. Does anyone remember the Good Guys or Tower Records?

I was at the "new" marina marketplace a few days ago, it looks like beverly hills. It seems like if things aren't upscale now, it won't sell? I wonder if middle class stores are too "dowdy" now (unfashionable). I wonder where all the millionaires have come from in the last 15 years to support such sleek, high end shopping.

I am glad there are more restaurants (tried settebello an italian pizza place, very good). But the area sure doesn't seem family friendly.

Any opinions from long time residents?
MDR in the late 80s and 90s had problems ie the UA Theatre and arcade area with crime and riff raff coming in to "hoo rod." One of the most effective ways to blockade this without a wall is to price the areas services ie food out of reach so the area is less interesting to the "hoo rodders keeping it real" on a Sat or Fri night. I'm not approving this retail strategy but making people aware of it.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:32 PM

32 posts, read 61,624 times
You are off by a few years. I bought a condo at the Marina City Club in 1989. Loved it! The area was very upscale at the time, and for at least the next five years. Then, there was a failure of many businesses relating to aerospace. Housing in the area crashed hard. Values dropped to about half. Lost my shirt! The county was milking the area, just sucking it dry (financially speaking). Glad to see it coming back. Sure did take a long time!

Old 08-22-2013, 09:06 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonCommenter View Post
MDR in the late 80s and 90s had problems ie the UA Theatre and arcade area with crime and riff raff coming in to "hoo rod."
??????

Never heard that term during my over half a century in California. It certainly was not used in that time period.

Urban Dictionary: Hoorod

Old 08-23-2013, 07:19 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaLady27 View Post
I bought a condo at the Marina City Club in 1989. Loved it! The area was very upscale at the time, and for at least the next five years. Housing in the area crashed hard. Values dropped to about half. Lost my shirt!
Everybody lost their shirt if they bought in 1989--the top of the market during that housing bubble--and had to sell before about 2004-5, when housing prices started to recover.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:56 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Apparently they're going to level Fisherman's Village in MDR to make it more "relevant": Dated Marina del Rey to get a modern makeover - latimes.com

Old 02-26-2014, 01:05 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Apparently they're going to level Fisherman's Village in MDR to make it more "relevant": Dated Marina del Rey to get a modern makeover - latimes.com
Because Lincoln can handle so much more capacity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles