Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 01:11 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
MDR is an expensive place to live (as is the entire coastal westside). People who can afford to live in MDR and environs want matching amenities. there isn't much of a middle class left in that area. Seems pretty obvious to me.
While you're basically right, I should point out the Westside has some ghetto parts. Mainly Venice (much of Venice is nice, but there is a ghetto area there).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 05:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I've lived in LA my whole life (am 35). Did anyone use to go to the marina marketplace in the 90's? I remember Westworld, a Carls Jr, Marie Calendars (where the Stella is now). There was a 20/20 video where the Chase bank is now. Does anyone remember the Good Guys or Tower Records?

I was at the "new" marina marketplace a few days ago, it looks like beverly hills. It seems like if things aren't upscale now, it won't sell? I wonder if middle class stores are too "dowdy" now (unfashionable). I wonder where all the millionaires have come from in the last 15 years to support such sleek, high end shopping.

I am glad there are more restaurants (tried settebello an italian pizza place, very good). But the area sure doesn't seem family friendly.

Any opinions from long time residents?
As long back as I can remember Marina Del Ray has always been very upscale. OK, maybe there were a few fast food restaurants that have been replaced, maybe it doesn't seem family friendly to you, but I don't know if that is what makes a town or location more upscale?

HarryKerryJr: I remember, that is exactly what I am talking about..

Old 07-31-2013, 07:54 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerryJr View Post
Is there anyone else here who is old enough to remember that MDR WAS ORIGINALLY upscale, affluent, for the wealthy and famous to live and play...
I do! We lived in Venice in the early 1980s and MDR was considered very upscale, especially that area around Admiralty Way that you're referring to.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:15 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
I grew up on the Westside and always viewed MDR as being pretty nice. It was definitely not run down feeling. I did go to the Soup Plantation, the movie theater and the Tower Records. I just viewed it as a quite little area for the most part. I haven't really been back as far as hanging out just driving by , I could picture it being more upscale though.

It makes sense with the high prices of housing. I'm guessing a lot of this Silicon Beach tech money also probably has some influence.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:47 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I grew up on the Westside and always viewed MDR as being pretty nice. It was definitely not run down feeling. I did go to the Soup Plantation, the movie theater and the Tower Records. I just viewed it as a quite little area for the most part. I haven't really been back as far as hanging out just driving by , I could picture it being more upscale though.

It makes sense with the high prices of housing. I'm guessing a lot of this Silicon Beach tech money also probably has some influence.
MDR has always been upscale, but there was a pretty long period when it became associated with the elderly.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:00 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
While you're basically right, I should point out the Westside has some ghetto parts. Mainly Venice (much of Venice is nice, but there is a ghetto area there).
Westside Ghettos = Only ONE starbucks on each block

Old 07-31-2013, 12:49 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,308 times
I would bike the Wherehouse to rent movies, maybe buy a cassette or two. Then I would maybe bike over to Fisherman's Wharf and get some Orange Julius.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:21 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,891,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
As long back as I can remember Marina Del Ray has always been very upscale. OK, maybe there were a few fast food restaurants that have been replaced, maybe it doesn't seem family friendly to you, but I don't know if that is what makes a town or location more upscale?

HarryKerryJr: I remember, that is exactly what I am talking about..
I think I'm surprised at how fast its changed vs the rest of west LA (say compared to parts of venice).

There was a souplantation, rubys, a newsstand, gamestop, etc at the marina marketplace on maxella. A similar mix of stores that you'd see at westside pavillion. Did anyone ever go to Aunt Kizzy's back porch? I always heard about that place.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:42 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Did anyone ever go to Aunt Kizzy's back porch? I always heard about that place.
Yup. I'm sad that it closed down.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:58 PM

296 posts, read 625,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerryJr View Post
Is there anyone else here who is old enough to remember that MDR WAS ORIGINALLY upscale, affluent, for the wealthy and famous to live and play, and wife swapping on the 1970's . It was as celebrity ridden as WeHo is today (or has WeHo changed for the worse since its majority of geriatric residents and crappy run-down shops along SM Blvd., sharing quite a bit with Santa Monica in those days?). Then MDR had its slow decline to being tacky and not nearly as nice as it was upon CREATION by LA County. MDR is as natural as Playa Vista or Centry City, just a really huge planned community development for the rich. Now, I hear it is returning to it's former clean, upscale self. All the most desirable places to live by MOST of middle class folk all have the attributes of upscale communities. Is it now Bristol Farms *and what all else) that makes South Pasadena the right mix of "modest" but really with residents who can support such luxuries that make it so SAFE and desirable and CLEAN? Gland to hear MDR returning
I'm remember MDR being semi-upscale even in the 80s,late 80s. Did it begin to decline in the 90s?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles