Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:57 PM

603 posts, read 846,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Okay, but I think you are way underestimating how many other people want those jobs, and way overestimating how your "flexibility" requirement won't dissuade employers. Are you kidding? Right now, employers have their pick. You have people with business degrees busing tables. Yes, really. (I mean isn't this the case in Boston too? So how much more true is it for Los Angeles, where so many people want to live? Think about that.) Trust me, they too thought they had it all figured out before they came out here with their own $3000.

You say you're coming regardless...so come. Just have a backup plan. We're trying to be very realistic with you. But honestly, if it were that easy -- plenty of apartments at insanely low rates in great places, and plenty of jobs -- then don't you think the entire world would be here (and be able to stay here)? What is it you have to offer that others don't? You're smart? You're going to school? That makes you different from everyone else how? We're not stupid and uneducated here. Trust me. Your sense of "but it will work out for ME" is offputting...and makes me feel you're headed right into disaster.

As it is, this is a VERY coveted area and people do pile into SoCal, in droves. They ALL think they have great leads, they ALL think they've found the "secret" low-rate places that the actual locals somehow don't know about (um....) and they ALL think they're a great catch in the job market.

Wait. Save up more money. A lot more. Or else be prepared for the possibility (it isn't definite, but odds are...) that you'll run out of your $3000 before you've been able to secure even a second interview, much less a job.

NOT trying to be mean, NOT trying to dissuade you. Just trying to head you off from disaster. Do not for a minute think you've somehow outsmarted everyone else and have found the magic perfect place to live at the magically midwestern price with employers polishing their ties even now in anticipation of you walking (because you have no transportation) into their offices to apply for a job. A lot of other people have thought the same. Millions of people.

Wait. Save your money. Then come. Good luck.
I never underestimated how many other people want those jobs. But when I email people and they tell me to call them when they get back from vacation, I consider that to be a good lead, considering the fact they know I'm currently on the other side of the country. I have no problem working a low paying job. And I do have a backup plan, but that doesn't mean I need to disclose it to a bunch of strangers on a forum.

And I don't remember saying I found any low rent place that the locals don't know about. I just said that I found a couple of affordable apartments. I'm not some idiot who just woke up one day and said he wanted to move to LA. I've been attempting to move to LA since last year, but I waited until I finished college to really attempt it.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:01 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
But when I email people and they tell me to call them when they get back from vacation, I consider that to be a good lead, considering the fact they know I'm currently on the other side of the country.
Why do you think anyone would offer you a low paying job across the country? Think about it.
]
I don't think you can possibly be for real with this one, or you are stepping into a scam. Kind of hard to tell sometimes but with 17 posts I'm going with not for real.. sorry. Good luck with your move to CA if you ever get here.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:03 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikefirefall View Post
I never underestimated how many other people want those jobs. But when I email people and they tell me to call them when they get back from vacation, I consider that to be a good lead, considering the fact they know I'm currently on the other side of the country.
Oh honey. The old "Oh definitely look me up...at some later date!" is THE standard blowoff...particularly for L.A.

Quote:
And I don't remember saying I found any low rent place that the locals don't know about. I just said that I found a couple of affordable apartments.
People explained the very common "hook" of advertising a low rate apartment and then suddenly "it's gone, but we have this more expensive one..." and you basically told them all how wrong they were. They weren't wrong. This does happen. Often. You don't know what actual rates of actual, rentable places are until you actually look at them....first-hand. Assuming everyone here has a place to live, we have all in fact done that. You haven't. We're trying to help you.

I didn't say you're an idiot. It seems it's the other way around. You, who have never lived here, are basically telling us, who do live here and work here, how things are. Now how could that possibly make sense?

Again, you're determined to come out, so do it. You said you were only wondering about transportation, you have that information. Good luck to you.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:05 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Why do you think anyone would offer you a low paying job across the country? Think about it.
That's a good point. What employer would look cross-country to fill a no-skills-required, low paying position?

Old 09-01-2013, 10:24 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
That's a good point. What employer would look cross-country to fill a no-skills-required, low paying position?
No employer would. And the OP is fooling himself if he thinks the "look me up at a later date" thing is a good job lead.

Moving to LA with 3 grand, no car, no job, and renting your own apartment is a disaster waiting to happen.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:18 PM

367 posts, read 673,200 times
Quote:

I'm also a little worried about the heat, because I have social anxiety and tend to get sweat a lot if I go outside when it's hot.
im sorry i found this really funny

anyway

you could live in westlake and take the 720 bus along wilshire all the way to UCLA

the rent is pretty cheap around there, you could get a studio for like 6-700

it isn't the safest area though. i mean, it's not 1992 Watts, but dont be surprised if you occasionally see the girls doing their business on your street corner

Old 09-01-2013, 11:43 PM

671 posts, read 1,190,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
If you don't care about the commute, you could live anywhere in the Valley on the Metrolink line.
Exactly. But the IE is even cheaper. Riverside would be cheapest, I think, but San Bernardino may have low rent options he seeks. The San Bernardino line Metrolink commuter rail has the MOST frequency of trains for both day and night and weekends. Also, OP, your Metrolink ticket includes FREE transfer and ALL DAY use of MTA Metro subway, light rail and buses, so no additional fare needed. Just TAP your Metrolink ticket to pass barriers.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
I never underestimated how many other people want those jobs. But when I email people and they tell me to call them when they get back from vacation, I consider that to be a good lead, considering the fact they know I'm currently on the other side of the country. I have no problem working a low paying job. And I do have a backup plan, but that doesn't mean I need to disclose it to a bunch of strangers on a forum.

And I don't remember saying I found any low rent place that the locals don't know about. I just said that I found a couple of affordable apartments. I'm not some idiot who just woke up one day and said he wanted to move to LA. I've been attempting to move to LA since last year, but I waited until I finished college to really attempt it.
Call me later is anything but a good lead. It appears you are coming to So CA in the next few weeks, it appears no one is going to change your mind, but it also appears you have no clue what So CA is really like. You are flexible, that is great, but public transportation isn't that flexible. Many jobs are nowhere near transportation: someone has assured you, of a internship as soon as you complete one class, this is not the same as an offer. Our grandson in law had a similar situation about 5 years ago. Two people assured him of internships the following summer. They had top connections. Well those connections got him nothing. As it turned out, it didn't make any difference, but he did learn a promise for something in the future means nothing. It sounds like, if nothing else you are a little naïve or just plain not really wanting sound advice. As others have said, good luck, it isn't going to be an easy road and I hope your backup plan works. You don't want to share that, with strangers, but are believing promises strangers are making to you via the net or the phone, That is very interesting.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
]
I don't think you can possibly be for real with this one, or you are stepping into a scam. Kind of hard to tell sometimes but with 17 posts I'm going with not for real.. sorry. Good luck with your move to CA if you ever get here.
How is it a scam when it's an actual business with centers all over the country? What does my post count have to do with anything? lam

Just stay out of my thread.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Oh honey. The old "Oh definitely look me up...at some later date!" is THE standard blowoff...particularly for L.A.

People explained the very common "hook" of advertising a low rate apartment and then suddenly "it's gone, but we have this more expensive one..." and you basically told them all how wrong they were. They weren't wrong. This does happen. Often. You don't know what actual rates of actual, rentable places are until you actually look at them....first-hand. Assuming everyone here has a place to live, we have all in fact done that. You haven't. We're trying to help you.

I didn't say you're an idiot. It seems it's the other way around. You, who have never lived here, are basically telling us, who do live here and work here, how things are. Now how could that possibly make sense?

Again, you're determined to come out, so do it. You said you were only wondering about transportation, you have that information. Good luck to you.
Considering it's labor day weekend, and everybody has today off, I'm not getting blown off. I didn't tell anyone they were wrong about that housing situation. When I called the woman and she told me the apartment was no longer available, she didn't mention a more expensive one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles