Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 10:46 PM

396 posts, read 1,851,957 times

Advertisements

I can easily afford my car and all the expenses. However, I am considering selling off my car and primarily relying on metro rail and bus to get around. Have you ever relied on LA public transportation?, or would you consider doing it? Share please. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 11:03 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
I can easily afford my car and all the expenses. However, I am considering selling off my car and primarily relying on metro rail and bus to get around. Have you ever relied on LA public transportation?, or would you consider doing it? Share please. Thank you!
I have been relying upon Metro transit for the past 13+ years ... It all depends upon where you live and work but I've been able to make it work for me, even though it isn't ideal for everyone. Wish they would improve mass transit to NYC levels but that would be a dream.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:06 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
I think the best thing to do is go car-lite. LA is the perfect city for that.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:32 PM

35 posts, read 63,030 times
It's totally impractical. You would have to utilize some form of auto transport to get to In between places and LA is not the kind of place where there's taxis driving around looking for passengers. Also there's a safety issue and you would Jane to be prepared to carry out a Bernard Goetz scenario in terms of being armed defensively and using it as necessary on hoodlums causing mayhem.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:02 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNay View Post
It's totally impractical. You would have to utilize some form of auto transport to get to In between places and LA is not the kind of place where there's taxis driving around looking for passengers. Also there's a safety issue and you would Jane to be prepared to carry out a Bernard Goetz scenario in terms of being armed defensively and using it as necessary on hoodlums causing mayhem.
You are probably safer on the LA buses and trains than driving in LA traffic. Something tells me a lot of people with the above response have never even tried to use the Metro.

I like my car, which I use once or twice a week - but I could see myself living without it in LA if need be.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:09 AM

35 posts, read 63,030 times
I'm talkin bout the train not da bus

Old 08-31-2013, 10:19 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
I don't think I could do it, at least with my current job. It's located in an area that isn't accessible by public bus. I'm also 18 miles from work. It would be a nightmare trying to get there on time, even by car it's a crappy commute.

I too have romanticized the idea of being car free.

Cars give you a freedom, but it's a double edged sword. Insurance, Car Payments, paying $4/gallon gas , maintenance, registration, etc also act as a chain for many people. There are some people that can easily afford that, but they are probably in the minority. I don't think people really add up all the expenses of owning a car.

If I lived close to work and couple take a short ride on public transit I'd probably be alright taking it Mon-Fri .

but then what about on weekends?

I feel like i'd rely more on people driving me around and I wouldn't want to feel 'like a leech' so to speak.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:39 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
No. I can't imagine schlepping groceries home on public transportation. I'm spoiled, I admit it. Also, I can drive to work in fifteen minutes. Taking a bus or the Orange Line would take me at least forty-five minutes. Since I have to be at work at 6:30 a.m., you can probably see why I always use my car.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:12 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
5 or 6 years ago I began using the bus exclusively for daily commuting. I realized the bus wasn't convenient enough for me so I bought a scooter and sold my car. I used the bus only during heavy rain. While living and working on the westside this was an ideal situation but only worked because my wife had a car. I guess what I'm getting at is that there other options than just transit or car.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:28 AM

23,531 posts, read 24,022,219 times
Not in LA, unless you live relatively close to work. If you lived in, say, Woodland Hills and needed to commute to say, Long Beach, I think it would be very inefficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles