Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2013, 08:33 AM

136 posts, read 379,633 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what happened to the huge, grand library in Alhambra, I think it was on Las Tunas. I grew up in the '50's in San Gabriel, and I fondly recall going to the library with my family. I remember there were big statues of lions out front. Inside were what seemed like millions of books, and they actually had Stereopticons with the photographic cards! Those were fun to look at, especially as a small child.

I now live in Arizona, but I was in L.A. recently and I went hunting for the Alhambra public library and I couldn't find it on Las Tunas. I suppose it went the way of the dinosaurs, and was probably replaced by a smaller building elsewhere. Too bad - it was a big part of my early education. I learned how to look for a book using all the filing cards in the wooden drawers there!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 09:10 AM

Mr Cheap, thanks for that. That's a shame, but I see from the website that it was torn down because of structural damages.

One fascinating thing (at least to me) is that here in Prescott Valley in northern Arizona, I found a book at our local swap meet that was stamped on the inside front cover "ALHAMBRA PUBLIC LIBRARY". It was stamped 1958 - I was 6 years old that year, and I was going to the library in Alhambra with my family at that time. So it stands to reason that I was physically somewhere near that very book at some point as a child, and I found it at a swap meet in Arizona decades later!

Thanks again.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:51 PM

362 posts, read 543,583 times
It might have been torn down in 1968, but it was rebuilt. A new library stood on Main St. for a while. I remember getting my passport there in 1989. It has since been demolished, but another Alhambra Library is currently located on First St.

Alhambra Civic Center Library

Old 09-23-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageuse View Post
It might have been torn down in 1968, but it was rebuilt. A new library stood on Main St. for a while. I remember getting my passport there in 1989. It has since been demolished, but another Alhambra Library is currently located on First St.

Alhambra Civic Center Library
Thank you Voyageuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles