Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 04:41 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,199,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatUnwashed View Post
90% of jobs can be easily taught to someone with attitude and aptitude, a trait typically found in someone who put forth the effort to attend and complete college.

Working full-time at McDonald's or some other minimal wage job is livable. You just might not have your own 1BR apartment with a big screen TV, iPhone, and iPad, but you'll live just fine. You'll probably even qualify for some government handouts to make your life better.
So you need to invest thousands of dollars to prove that you can learn on the job.
What if you can't afford college but are otherwise capable? Tough luck?

Old 09-06-2013, 04:42 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,024,536 times
Quote:
On a grand a month you could have your own room in an apartment or house in an undesirable area. If you have a couple that's 2 grand and nets you a 1BR apartment in an undesirable area.

Use public transportation, don't eat like a king, and sounds like you can live to me. How many luxuries should burger flippers be afforded?
Ah so the income is dictating your life now? Why need a commie strongman dictating life when your income does it for you? I guess the difference is that I have the freedom not to work/starve? LOL

Is what you described taking personal responsibility? You're a joke, man!

Old 09-06-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
And those tent people left us taxpayers with a BIG BIG bill...over $4.7 MILLION to clean up their mess.
Occupy LA cleanup, repair cost at least $4.7M | abc7.com

It pisses me off when you call the city and get the excuse "Sorry, our resources/budget are limited..we can't do XYZ" blah blah...all the money goes to waste stuff like this. Also speaking of how great unions are..have you seen how DWP workers are bleeding us dry? The new mayor isn't a right wing nutjob, but he doesn't support DWP union with their outrageous pay and benefits like UNLIMITED SICK TIME.

The thing with these protests, yes I understand if civil rights were violated. But, It's STRICTLY over pay. A pay that the worker signed on the line and accepted, probably with a big ole' smile.
4.7 million to clean up the streets over protests about us pouring in a trillion to clean up wall streets mess? C'mon man, get your priorities straight!

Old 09-06-2013, 04:48 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,492,828 times
Well out of the world's 100 richest. 73 are self made .

The Habits of Self-Made Billionaires (Infographic) | Entrepreneur.com

Interesting infographic about the 100 richest.

I have a feeling you think that every worker should get pretty much the same pay as the owner or CEO right?
Is that correct?

The employees should have the same exact lifestyle as the person that put in all the risk, effort , money into the business?

It's fine if you believe that , but it's a view that even most employees don't agree with.

There is nothing stopping a Walmart employee from taking small calculated risks just like these Billionaires mentioned in the infographic above.

Sure they might not become billionaires , but they can probably do considerably better than $8.25 or whatever it is.

Last edited by jm1982; 09-06-2013 at 05:01 PM..

Old 09-06-2013, 04:49 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,437,968 times
Quote:
On a grand a month you could have your own room in an apartment or house in an undesirable area. If you have a couple that's 2 grand and nets you a 1BR apartment in an undesirable area.

Use public transportation, don't eat like a king, and sounds like you can live to me. How many luxuries should burger flippers be afforded?
So you think it's just fast food workers that have to live like that?

Old 09-06-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
So you think it's just fast food workers that have to live like that?
I know right.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Well out of the world's 100 richest. 73 are self made .

The Habits of Self-Made Billionaires (Infographic) | Entrepreneur.com

Interesting infographic about the 100 richest.

I have a feeling you think that every worker should get pretty much the same pay as the owner or CEO right?
Is that correct?

The employees should have the same exact lifestyle as the person that put in all the risk, effort , money into the business?

It's fine if you believe that , but it's a view that even most employees don't agree with.

There is nothing stopping a Walmart employee from taking small calculated risks just like these Billionaires mentioned in the infographic above.
Great I was waiting for the canard of equal pay for all work to perk its ugly head. Took you long enough. The question is not that there should be equal pay but why does the ratio between employer and employee need to be that wide? The answers you keep giving are from the pov of an owner of business and mine from the worker. The only difference is that I'm open with my bias. You're under the delusion that your opinions are not and are natural law.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:03 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,878,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Ah so the income is dictating your life now? Why need a commie strongman dictating life when your income does it for you? I guess the difference is that I have the freedom not to work/starve? LOL

Is what you described taking personal responsibility? You're a joke, man!
90 percent of the people on this site are a joke. I learn that more and more each day I read most of the opinions posted here.

They've obviously never worked in these industries, or they would know these people aren't being spoiled / ingrates. Americans deserve better - it is sad but true that this is far from the greatest country in the world anymore. I would imagine the same people that are exasperated with these workers are the same people who have no problem being a total ******* to customer service employees.

Why do I deserve more in this life because my parents had enough money to send me to college than my coworker at Carl's Jr who had to work 15 hours most days (At Carl's and at Jack n the Box - but never full time at either place) just to make ends meet for her families. And this is in super-low cost of living Santa Maria, CA. That was what most of my coworkers were like, not teens getting a part time job (though I was) or stay-at-home moms. And these places were 100 percent corporate, not franchised.

Quote:
The thing with these protests, yes I understand if civil rights were violated. But, It's STRICTLY over pay. A pay that the worker signed on the line and accepted, probably with a big ole' smile.
Not shocking that someone with a degree from the University of Spoiled Children holds this opinion. And for someone that gets so headed over government overspending, don't you realize that American people are the ones subsidizing companies like Wal Mart / McDonalds / etc? It's interesting you rush to the defense of franchise owners but condemn the workers as being greedy. If you can't run a business properly, then you don't belong in business.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:04 PM

223 posts, read 471,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
BS, a lot of the richest people in America left college. Some never even went. The determination is there, for a lot of people, just because they didn't "make it" it doesn't mean that they're failures. Why do people like you always assume that those that didn't make it, never tried?

That just makes me think that you guys really think that system is sound and despite a few flaws is a decent and fair system. Well it's not. Study after study has come out that most wealth is inherited, the gap between rich and poor has grown, social mobility is at it's lowest, that top brass pay for their interests to be heard first in Washington.

These studies were put out by you know...."very competent people who attended and finished college"

And also, who is deciding what constitutes a decent living? Is this another assertion put forth by insufferable jagoffs on yachts who say teachers make way too much money while clinking glasses with politicians?
Sounds like the world is really keeping you down.

I was raised in a solidly middle class family (parents were both police officers) and I went to school, studied hard, and had multiple job offers by the time I graduated. I'm not rich, but am certainly comfortable and don't feel like I received any preferential treatment.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:05 PM

Amen, munchitup! Amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles