Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2013, 12:41 AM

156 posts, read 270,202 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm moving to LA from Europe on a green card in December, but I keep reading about people being unemployed for over a year. Is it really that rough or are people just being picky?

I'm a young guy and I don't mind working the most basic jobs LA has to offer (waiting tables, temp, etc. where not much in terms of education is required), if there are any, that is.

Anybody has any insider's information to share about the situation on such jobs, or any advice for a new transplant? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 11:34 AM

8,324 posts, read 13,457,139 times
Well, it all depends on how willing you are to find a job mixed with your qualifications for the jobs you are looking for and how you are looking for them. I know, this sounded pretty generic but without knowing what field(s) you have -if any- skills or experience in, it is really hard to say.

From your post, I will assume you don't have a university degree and/or any job skills/experience that stands out, if so you might be luckier than most because low paying service jobs (minimum wage+ paying jobs) are easier to get just as long as you are willing and have a "charming" enough personality.

Back in the day when I just wanted to find a job, I looked everywhere, walked in person to any business within my commute distance, talked to anyone whom might clue me in on where to apply.

Here is something I used to do; drive or walk to a shopping center, go into a business, literally walk into a business (Target, small watch shop, Cleaners, whatever appealed to me) and ask for manager. If s/he is not there, find out when s/he would be so right it down and come back that day to talk to them about getting a job there. If they were not hiring, I would politely ask if they knew any other business or branch was hiring. You'd be amazed how many good leads I got this way and even jobs! Everyone loves a confident applicant who comes of as a "go-getter" and willing to walk the unbeaten path.

With the lower paying or starter type jobs, you will greatly benefit from dressing clean and business casual (no dress tie or jacket) and literally walking into business and applying in person, especially in today tough job market. Market is tough but there are bunch of jobs out there, people either do not look aggressively or being picky with the type of jobs for whatever reason.

You have to understand though, you may, at best, barely survive if you have a job like this:

You are young and if you are energetic too then shoot for server at a nice restaurant or limo driver type jobs. You'd make much more. Save your money (about $500-700) and go to one of those bartending schools they have which usually lasts several weeks. As a bartender you could make even more plus if you are good, you will be able to socialize and make some good contacts and enlarge your social network which could ultimately get you better jobs faster and easier than any other method.

Good luck.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:44 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
Actually that Job (Walmart greeter) might be extinct as well...

Al Norman: Say Goodbye to the Wal-Mart Greeters

Old 09-19-2013, 11:46 AM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,425,232 times
The economy here is rough, even for these low-paying jobs. That said, I had years of experience in the grocery business and got hired right away. Within a few months, I got promoted.

I was worried I would use up all my savings and not find a job. I got plenty of calls from other places that I fortunately didn't have to resort to, but you should find something if you're persistent. It just might not be full-time hours.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:49 PM

150 posts, read 281,837 times
I think getting started is the biggest challenge. If you are good at networking and making friends quickly, and can get buy with no job for a little while, you'll probably be okay in the long run. It took me a little time to find something, but I was not in a rush, as I had skills but wanted to find a good situation, not just any job. If you have experience and education as the other poster said, that should help a lot. If you are coming from a big city like LA you may also find you can adapt more quickly.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:54 AM

573 posts, read 971,249 times
I live in NJ and have seen a few california plates regularly, not just visiting.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:30 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebri View Post
I live in NJ and have seen a few california plates regularly, not just visiting.
So they moved there in the dead of Winter? Makes sense. *fans self*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles