Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 01:55 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,846,598 times

Advertisements

^ This is why you should come see LA for yourself. You'll get so many different opinions you won't know what is true otherwise. Me... I LOVE it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 03:25 PM

723 posts, read 2,999,471 times
1. it's all kinds of dangerous
2. you should believe what you see on TV
3. everyone who comes here gets 'discovered' just walking down the sidewalk
4. Baywatch is comprised of an entirely female staff with fake breastuses
5. the water is safe to drink

Old 11-19-2007, 08:55 PM

240 posts, read 889,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP640 View Post
Why do people say Los Angeles is "beautiful". Do any of you actually travel?

Los Angeles is a dump.
I don't understand it either. If you like concrete and crowds almost everywhere you go, I guess L.A. is "beautiful". I tend to reserve the word "beautiful" for more natural settings.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:25 AM

175 posts, read 731,408 times
The westside of LA is beautiful.. Pacific Palisades, Beverly Hills etc. That area is paradise.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:21 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,609,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMark View Post
I don't understand it either. If you like concrete and crowds almost everywhere you go, I guess L.A. is "beautiful". I tend to reserve the word "beautiful" for more natural settings.
So I guess you wouldn't consider New York or Boston beautiful cities either? At least LA has the mountains as a constant backdrop. Compared to cities on the East Coast, LA has incredible natural beauty. And besides, isn't almost every large city composed of concrete and crowds anyway? I thought that was one thing that makes city life what it is.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:12 AM

27,347 posts, read 27,400,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadedStone View Post
You know what L.A. is like? High f***ing taxes, permit parking on the streets; meaning you will get ticketed parking in your own neighborhood if you don't have a yearly fee based permit, the people are like robots and ghosts, it is severly congested and chaotic and the education is just average nothing special and actually way behind many parts of the USA not to mention the mentality, transportation planning and city planning being light years behind as well. As city employees bank off of high salaries the city is going bankrupt and then you throw road rage and racism into the mix what do you have? A city that is a melting pot for disaster. Europe and Canada have better internships. Better yet New York, Colorado and many other states have better education. Oh and the postcards are BOGUS. The Los Angeles area including the beaches are so filthy and smelly and polluted. Not pretty and not clean. Oh and good luck on finding a date it is next to impossible to find someone who is normal and someone who doesn't want to just *********r brains out because they are emotionally unavailable. Last note the women are beautiful and extremely tall for the most part and the men average about 5'6. So don't believe anything you see on t.v. or on flyers. This is Los Angeles open gunfire year around. I've lived in Santa Monica for a year and there's been about 6 shootings and this is Santa Monica. If I were you I wouldn't settle for less. The Celebrities are screwed up(Britney Spears) but most of the regular people are just like them.

I have to agree on the postcards being so fake. Photoshop can do a lot to 'clean up' the air quality. Dates arent hard to find if youre simply looking for a bed partner. I could probably run into a celeb and not think twice of it. Freeways are jacked up. Ive seen my share of tall women/short men out there and cant figure out whats up with that, maybe its the water?
Thak gawd Im a country girl, though here in the High Desert its not exactly my prime choice for a permanent resident, but its home for now. Better air quality, less congestion in the area Im in, and you can actually see more than 3 stars at night, lol.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:38 AM

460 posts, read 1,770,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP640 View Post
Why do people say Los Angeles is "beautiful". Do any of you actually travel?

Los Angeles is a dump.
I would have to agree here. There are certainly a select few sections of Los Angeles that I would describe as 'beautiful', but for the most part, Los Angeles looks very run down to me. (I lived there for over 5 years.)

To be fair, I LOVED it in my late 20's (which wasnt' that long ago). Now that I'm in my 30's, I only like to visit...good food, kooky people, nice cars, the beach, etc... But then I have to get the heck out of Dodge: WAY too much traffic, parking is a pain ANYWHERE, the place looks depressing, too noisy, dirty air that you can actually 'see', kooky people.

I've never visited SF, but everyone says that that is a lovely city with lots of culture. If you have a choice, perhaps consider SF. If you're going to be in student housing, it will be a great opportunity to live cheaply in a very expensive city.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:22 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by music7lover View Post
The westside of LA is beautiful.. Pacific Palisades, Beverly Hills etc. That area is paradise.
Actually there are many other areas all over LA city and county that are beautiful, particularly residential areas like Carthay Circle in the Miracle Mile area, Hancock Park and Windsor Square, Los Feliz, Hollywood Hills, Encino, Sherman Oaks, Woodland Hills, Studio City, Porter Ranch, Calabasas, Agoura, Westlake Village, Hidden Hills, Palos Verdes, Pasadena, La Canada, Manhattan Beach...the list is endless. LA has nice areas and bad areas, like all major cities/metros. But, pound for pound, LA measures up to any other major U.S. city when it comes to nice areas, and because LA is phyiscally so large I would venture to say that it actually has more nice areas than most other large cities/metros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Compared to cities on the East Coast, LA has incredible natural beauty.
I could not agree more. In comparison to any city worldwide, LA is a part of a few elite cities that have stunning natural beauty and topography. Places like SF, Seattle, Vancouver, Rio, among a few others come to mind.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:34 AM

175 posts, read 731,408 times
I love the beauty in LA of being in a city area and then being able to drive to the canyons and feel like one is in the country. I'll have to check out some of the other areas that you listed here the next time I vacation there, TheRealAngelion.. Thanks

San Francisco has tons of beauty also, however it is harder to get to it IMO. Marin County etc.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:35 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,728,348 times
If you are going to have the time and money to be outside the place you live and the place you will intern at....do it. You can find things to enjoy. If all you are going to be doing is working, don't do it. Fighting your way through crowds and traffic will get annoying and you will most likely not enjoy yourself. The quality of life is nice for people in the multiples of six figure incomes, but not less than that. If you don't like hispanic people who live like they are still in their home country, don't come here.
If it is just for the summer though, why not come out for a few months, won't hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles