Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 11:05 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,906,632 times

Advertisements

PV Peninsula. Drive around "The Hill" and you have views of the coastline from Malibu to Long Beach. Catalina shots. The Dominator ship wreak- tho not much left. Long Beach Harbor. The complete LA Basin. Then, locations on the peninsula itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 02:31 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,394,018 times
Here are some other high vistas not mentioned, Temescal canyon and Topanga Canyon that involves hiking. I personally love the views from Mt Hollywood and just walking around the trails behind the Griffith Observatory, but have yet to go to Mt Lee where the Hollywood sign is. I think the best views of LA are from the Baldwin Hills Overlook for an overall city view and the Kenneth Hahn park views on a clear day when the mountains are snow capped. There is also Hellman and Turnbull Park in Whittier on the east side of LA. There is also the view from Dodgers Stadium and Elysian Park. Also Debs park in Hermon/Highland Park. Barnsdall Park near Sunset/Vermont.

Recently did the CicLAvia bike ride and I love the views of Downtown from 4th street bridge. Other views of the DT skyline are Cornfields state park in Chinatown, 1st street bridge, City Hall Grand Park, Vista Hermosa park, Echo Park Lake and I love the view from the John Ferraro Building (DWP building) at night.

For places with great urban architecture of old LA county. Pasadena has amazing buildings especially Craftsman homes. San Marino, Beverly Hills and Hancock Park has great homes/streets but I feel weird taking picture of someones home. Carroll Ave in Echo Park has the Victorian homes collection. Heritage Square museum also has a collection of Victorians that use to be in Downtown. I cant remember the history. West Adams has great collection of large homes. UCLA campus has amazing buildings from the 1920/30s. Downtown Historic Core has the best architecture I think. Great architecture spread along a very long Wilshire Blvd from Downtown, Westlake, Koreatown, Mid Wilshire, Beverly Hills.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:45 AM

490 posts, read 683,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Here are some other high vistas not mentioned, Temescal canyon and Topanga Canyon that involves hiking. I personally love the views from Mt Hollywood and just walking around the trails behind the Griffith Observatory, but have yet to go to Mt Lee where the Hollywood sign is. I think the best views of LA are from the Baldwin Hills Overlook for an overall city view and the Kenneth Hahn park views on a clear day when the mountains are snow capped. There is also Hellman and Turnbull Park in Whittier on the east side of LA. There is also the view from Dodgers Stadium and Elysian Park. Also Debs park in Hermon/Highland Park. Barnsdall Park near Sunset/Vermont.

Recently did the CicLAvia bike ride and I love the views of Downtown from 4th street bridge. Other views of the DT skyline are Cornfields state park in Chinatown, 1st street bridge, City Hall Grand Park, Vista Hermosa park, Echo Park Lake and I love the view from the John Ferraro Building (DWP building) at night.

For places with great urban architecture of old LA county. Pasadena has amazing buildings especially Craftsman homes. San Marino, Beverly Hills and Hancock Park has great homes/streets but I feel weird taking picture of someones home. Carroll Ave in Echo Park has the Victorian homes collection. Heritage Square museum also has a collection of Victorians that use to be in Downtown. I cant remember the history. West Adams has great collection of large homes. UCLA campus has amazing buildings from the 1920/30s. Downtown Historic Core has the best architecture I think. Great architecture spread along a very long Wilshire Blvd from Downtown, Westlake, Koreatown, Mid Wilshire, Beverly Hills.
This is really helpful, thanks.

I took a 'walk' around the historic core on google maps. Looks like there are some great old buildings to be seen there.

How safe is this area for walking around? My guess would be fine by day, not so much at night?

Old 10-21-2013, 09:03 PM

56 posts, read 69,189 times
The Department of Water and Power building next to the Disney Concert Hall

Elysian park 110 overpass

Griffith observatory

Any of the 3rd - 6th street overpasses on the 110

Old 10-23-2013, 01:59 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,394,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G. Griffin View Post
This is really helpful, thanks.

I took a 'walk' around the historic core on google maps. Looks like there are some great old buildings to be seen there.

How safe is this area for walking around? My guess would be fine by day, not so much at night?
It should be fine walking around at night along certain streets Spring or Main and 5th, 6th, 7th.. There are lots of places to eat, get coffee, some shopping and also people live in these buildings. I find Broadway and Hill Streets and above 4th and below 8th tend to be dead after a certain time as most of these businesses are closed and many of the buildings tend to be more commercial/government and not residential plus lots of mostly empty parking lots. There is lots of car traffic in the historic core area so it never seems that dead despite not many people walking around. It gets dark earlier in February, so youll have time to walk around when people are heading home or to a restaurant. There should be ArtWalk every 2nd thursday of each month and thousands of people are walking around into art galleries. Overall you should be fine, but there are sketchy people, panhandlers, homeless sleeping on sidewalks or hanging out at corners, also some insane. Just be aware of your surroundings as you would in any big city.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:26 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,048,703 times
the following two links contain a number of great suggestions for scenic outlooks, vistas, and other photo opportunities in LA:

Map of the Day: All the Scenic Outlooks from Mulholland Drive: LAist
LA's 14 Most Romantic Make Out Vistas: LAist

the first link even contains a map with addresses of the various scenic overlooks along mulholland drive. the hollywood bowl overlook is one of my favorite spots, as it has sweeping city views yet feels so close to the hustle and bustle of hollywood.

and here are some old CD threads with a number of great suggestions for scenic drives and overlooks in the LA area:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...yon-drive.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...me-street.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/14162972-post20.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...s-view-la.html

one of the best tips from the threads above is to drive along the steep, hilly, winding streets of the santa monica mountains in and around malibu: piuma road, stunt road, las flores canyon road, and rambla pacifico. the PCH is great, too, but if you're going to head out to malibu, it's definitely worth doing those mountain/canyon drives as well.

some more great links if you don't mind doing a little hiking:
365 los angeles: #150: Mandeville Canyon Hike
365 los angeles: #185: The Bat Caves (aka Bronson Caves)
L.A. Walks: A step-by-step guide to Malibu's Sandstone Peak - latimes.com
Hikes in Los Angeles | Hikespeak.com

here's a cheat sheet for some of downtown's most interesting or photogenic buildings:
Fascinating Buildings in Downtown Los Angeles

and i think the googie-style diners of LA are pretty cool and are worth checking out if you're into mid-century space age architecture:
Johnie's Coffee Shop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pann's - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Norms Restaurants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-25-2013, 09:03 AM

490 posts, read 683,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
the following two links contain a number of great suggestions for scenic outlooks, vistas, and other photo opportunities in LA:

Map of the Day: All the Scenic Outlooks from Mulholland Drive: LAist
LA's 14 Most Romantic Make Out Vistas: LAist

the first link even contains a map with addresses of the various scenic overlooks along mulholland drive. the hollywood bowl overlook is one of my favorite spots, as it has sweeping city views yet feels so close to the hustle and bustle of hollywood.

and here are some old CD threads with a number of great suggestions for scenic drives and overlooks in the LA area:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...yon-drive.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...me-street.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/14162972-post20.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...s-view-la.html

one of the best tips from the threads above is to drive along the steep, hilly, winding streets of the santa monica mountains in and around malibu: piuma road, stunt road, las flores canyon road, and rambla pacifico. the PCH is great, too, but if you're going to head out to malibu, it's definitely worth doing those mountain/canyon drives as well.

some more great links if you don't mind doing a little hiking:
365 los angeles: #150: Mandeville Canyon Hike
365 los angeles: #185: The Bat Caves (aka Bronson Caves)
L.A. Walks: A step-by-step guide to Malibu's Sandstone Peak - latimes.com
Hikes in Los Angeles | Hikespeak.com

here's a cheat sheet for some of downtown's most interesting or photogenic buildings:
Fascinating Buildings in Downtown Los Angeles

and i think the googie-style diners of LA are pretty cool and are worth checking out if you're into mid-century space age architecture:
Johnie's Coffee Shop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pann's - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Norms Restaurants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Plenty of locations I wouldn't have known about here, thanks for listing these.

I'll be staying quite close to Stunt Rd so I'll definitely be checking that scenic drive out.

The diners look really cool, I love that mid century style of urban architecture.

Please keep your suggestions coming, I'm compiling an ever growing list of must see stuff. Thanks everyone.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:49 PM

27 posts, read 49,864 times
The Echo Mountain/Mount Lowe Railway trail is fantastic if you hike. The trailhead is off of Lake Ave. in Altadena.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:51 PM

27 posts, read 49,864 times
Amir's Garden in Griffith Park is also great. Less hiking than at Mt. Lowe, and a cool garden with picnic tables at the top (as well as views)

Old 08-31-2014, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,433 times
There are a lot of great spots for to visit in the Los Angeles. Some of my favorites

Manhattan Beach Pier

Griffith Observatory

Union Train Station, you'll find a lot of culture around the Union Station. It's very lively!

Downtown Los Angeles has great stuff as well. Walt Disney Concert Hall, The Last Library, MOCA Museum.

Here's an article I found on Facebook this week. It has the 5 awesome locations for photography and to visit.

The 5 Best Photography Spots In Los AngelesTraveling Artist

Last edited by rosalesjames; 08-31-2014 at 02:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles