Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 02:38 PM

546 posts, read 818,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
I'm holding mine for the long haul. DTLA feels very much to me like SoHo in the 1980s. Anyone who owns real estate down here would be nuts to sell right now. This is still very much the ground floor.
I hear you. But I guess it all depends on when a person bought and what kind of investment horizon one has. I agree...long term one is not going to lose. I just wonder if all the anticipation about what is coming to downtown (fully revitalized Broadway, Streetcar, Wholefoods, etc) is not already priced in and that any upside over the MEDIUM term (3 yrs?) will be pretty much in line with inflation (or worse if new supply spikes more than anticipated)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 07:43 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,644,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMersh View Post
I hear you. But I guess it all depends on when a person bought and what kind of investment horizon one has. I agree...long term one is not going to lose. I just wonder if all the anticipation about what is coming to downtown (fully revitalized Broadway, Streetcar, Wholefoods, etc) is not already priced in and that any upside over the MEDIUM term (3 yrs?) will be pretty much in line with inflation (or worse if new supply spikes more than anticipated)?
Prices could maybe plateau if developers could actually build enough condos to meet demand, but it seems like that's not going to happen anytime soon. Quite literally, the only new condos currently in the pipeline are the 68 units in Barker Block Phase 2, which apparently 2,800 buyers expressed interest in. That's insane.

Put it this way: we bought our place at the end of the summer last year during high home-buying season and paid around $500/sq ft, a little above average for Downtown. Now, 4 months later in what should be the off-season, average prices in DTLA have risen to $607/sq ft instead of dropping. What do you think prices will do next summer during high season?

I expect we'll see some apartment-to-condo conversions in the coming years in addition to brand new condos coming online as developers race to cash in and meet demand, but if anything it's only going to slow the rate that prices are increasing. Prices can't drop unless there's an actual surplus of new condos, i.e. more new condos than there are buyers. Maybe I'm way off base but that just doesn't seem likely anytime soon.

Last edited by DistrictDirt; 02-11-2014 at 08:12 PM..

Old 02-13-2014, 03:37 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,993,497 times
Great Article on the up coming Clifton's Cafeteria on Broadway. This is another anchor for S.Broadway that will bring more life into this opulent street.

Clifton's Cafeteria Article

Broadway is making great progress!

Old 02-13-2014, 05:52 PM

Interesting article. It says it will open in some form within 6 months. I hope that is true...i think the intial projection was a 2012 or 2013 opening.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:41 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Great Article on the up coming Clifton's Cafeteria on Broadway. This is another anchor for S.Broadway that will bring more life into this opulent street.

Great article. Seriously, read this.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:29 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,139,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post

Thank you so very much for the link!!!

In the 40's, Nana and I would board the #9 yellow car and go downtown to eat at Clifton's. I always had to look into the forest enclosure where, to the accompaniment of music, a deep voice spoke Kilmer's poem, Trees.

The food was great.

Afterward, we would go to one or two of the nearby newsreel theaters.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:23 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,419,527 times
Metropolis (ceremoniously) broke ground today. Phase 1 should open in 2016.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...77169195_n.jpg

Beats a parking lot anyday.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:12 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,644,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Metropolis (ceremoniously) broke ground today. Phase 1 should open in 2016.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...77169195_n.jpg

Beats a parking lot anyday.
I love that they put Wilshire Grand in that rendering too. Our skyline is going to look completely different in a few years. Its about time DTLA had a growth spurt

Old 02-15-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
I'm holding mine for the long haul. DTLA feels very much to me like SoHo in the 1980s. Anyone who owns real estate down here would be nuts to sell right now. This is still very much the ground floor.

Were you actually in SoHo in the 1980's? I'd be curious hear you expand on that one.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:07 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,139,330 times
I had not been to LA in some time and a couple of years ago my wife and I went. Just for the heck of it, we drove through East LA on Wilshire and then took Olympic to the sea. Blew me away! Nothing like I remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles