Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 12:23 AM

7 posts, read 7,018 times

Advertisements

I am 33 yr old female and have lived in LA for four years. I lived in Beverly Hills and currently live in Calabasas. They are both upscale communities, but I am far from rich. Working from home I find it extremely hard to meet new friends or guys. I am an attractive female (just like every other female in LA) that is tired of going out alone and not meeting a guy who wants a relationship. I was dead set on moving to Santa Monica, I was looking at places today actually. It just seems people are friendlier there plus I frequent the ever so popular Bungalow, but I guess you guys have a point there is not a lot to do. I also like fashion and everyone is super casual there. I noticed today while walking neighborhoods looking for apartments all the girls were dressed in lulu lemon and sneakers. I love to workout too, but I want to dress up as well without looking absurd walking down the promenade or residential streets. I am so confused… I am increasingly depressed in Calabasas. I am trying to make a change and meet new people. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 08:41 AM

513 posts, read 914,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisathebrunette View Post
I am 33 yr old female and have lived in LA for four years. I lived in Beverly Hills and currently live in Calabasas. They are both upscale communities, but I am far from rich. Working from home I find it extremely hard to meet new friends or guys. I am an attractive female (just like every other female in LA) that is tired of going out alone and not meeting a guy who wants a relationship. I was dead set on moving to Santa Monica, I was looking at places today actually. It just seems people are friendlier there plus I frequent the ever so popular Bungalow, but I guess you guys have a point there is not a lot to do. I also like fashion and everyone is super casual there. I noticed today while walking neighborhoods looking for apartments all the girls were dressed in lulu lemon and sneakers. I love to workout too, but I want to dress up as well without looking absurd walking down the promenade or residential streets. I am so confused… I am increasingly depressed in Calabasas. I am trying to make a change and meet new people. Any suggestions?
There is more to do in Santa Monica than there is in Beverly Hills/Calabasas combined, especially for a single woman. The whole lulu lemon thing disappears at night and you'll see girls and guys dressed up nice (depends on the establishment, of course). It's a fun place to live. Wilshire/Montana area is great for renting - close to everything. Good luck!

Old 09-16-2014, 10:03 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,678 times
I for one love working in Santa Monica but would never throw down the actual cash to live there. That's why Mar Vista exists.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:06 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
Santa Monica would be a great place to visit or work, but I sure as hell wouldn't live there. I'd live in Culver City, Venice, or SFV and commute in to SM. Hell, I'd probably rather live all the way out in Santa Clarita and commute in than to just live in SM.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:31 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Santa Monica definitely seems like it's improved from a dining/nightlife perspective in recent years. Before it was more fast food or places that catered to tourists.. but now there is more decent stuff like Stout ,etc.

Of course this is also when property and rents are at an all time high in the area too.

Sure it would be cool to live in the Santa Monica within walking distance of a lot of stuff, but rents are pretty crazy
As an example..
WOW!!! What a Great Rate- 2 WKS OF RENT FREE

Of course that building is expensive because it's newer..but even something further away in older building will be like this for a one bedroom..
Santa Monica's finest

There is a bachelor (no kitchen) , looks super tiny for $1010 in Santa Monica ..not sure how livable that would be. I wonder how many sq ft it is .

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...663448943.html

Old 09-16-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
I for one love working in Santa Monica but would never throw down the actual cash to live there. That's why Mar Vista exists.
"Cheap" in Marvista for a 1bedroom looks like this..building doesn't look to great though.

Spacious 1 bedroom 1 bath apartment w/ community pool

Old 09-16-2014, 11:38 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
"Cheap" in Marvista for a 1bedroom looks like this..building doesn't look to great though.

Spacious 1 bedroom 1 bath apartment w/ community pool
I'll take it. It's got a pool.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
I'll take it. It's got a pool.
I should be a leasing agent...could of got a commission..

Old 09-18-2014, 07:15 AM

861 posts, read 852,560 times
Santa Monica towards Montana is quite sleepy. As a man with a family, I think it is lovely.

But Santa Monica towards Venice is still the original party area. I know what you mean about feeling far away from it all, but at least you have the sea, which is very calming. Unless you have a large home in Beverly Hills or West Hollywood, I personally dont see the appeal of those areas.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:04 PM

14 posts, read 17,383 times
Santa Monica is a pretty cool place, if you are so glitz and glamour Santa Monica is not the place for you. It's more laid back and North of Montana is very family friendly, Manicured landscapes, perfect for jogging even along Ocean blvd plus palm trees giving you that Southern Florida feel. There are very many restaurants but can be a bit pricey on third street promenade, ocean blvd, montana ave, main street e.t.c : It connects to Venice beach Via Main street you can access other restaurants there as well. I feel like the people are waaaayyyy more laid back than other cities in Los Angeles not including the south bay area like Hermosa, Manhattan beach or redondo beach , not so fake like the Weho, beverly hills feel. If you love the out doors, listening the sound of ocean waves, watching the sunset, people watching on ocean blvd and did I mention the Santa Monica Stairs perfect for staying in shape. This city is great for everything hands down. The night life here is not Glitz like Hollywood type no need to be on the guest list to get into places and the people you meet here are a bit on the easy going side and green. ( people go out to night clubs wearing flip-flops: you won't see that in Weho, or Downtown or Beverly hills ) I love Santa Monica compared to any other place in the city. I have lived here for 5 years, 2 in West Los Angeles and a few years in Culver city. Hollywood transplant - my family owned a business on hollywood blvd off Cahuenga. I will vouch for Santa Monica any given day.-- I'm in my late 20's, lived in three continents Africa, Europe, and now America also well traveled been in modeling industry for a really long time but not so down with the glitz and glamour : Santa Monica all the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles