Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 01:46 PM

27 posts, read 89,048 times

Advertisements

LOL,and she thinks she's safer in Vegas.

Crime in Vegas can be just as bad,but since most parts of Vegas is new,it creates the illusion that it appears safe,even all those colorful lights creates an illusion that the city is safe.

L.A is not as dangerous as in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by music7lover View Post
This past weekend a good LA rock band played here in MN. I was talking to one of the band members who just moved to Las Vegas to buy a house. She has lived in LA for her whole life and she basically has the fear that Fastfilm talks about alot in this forum. This musician commented on the fact that her car is old and that she worries if it would break down in LA at night. Also, she stated that one does not go outside after dark....it is too dangerous. So hearing this from a lifelong LA resident, sure brings the truth home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 06:53 PM

175 posts, read 731,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Hi music7lover. It's not so much fear as truth in commentary, and coping. As a photojournalist, semi- in the entertainment biz, and lifelong resident here, I have as many survival strategies as anyone who doesn't live in the primo areas.

Many of my friends are musicians, and to traverse around L.A. all hours of the night and morning is part of the job requirement. (Remember, no afterhours reliable public transportation here.)They all meet and travel together to the gigs in whatever the primary band transport is. Not all clubs are in glorious upscale hubs, particularly for those of us who love alternative and harder core music. I don't think any of them, even my tough Detroit rocker friend, wants to be lugging expensive equipment around in dangerous areas solo at 3 a.m. And if you're not rich, you live in one. Every genuine entertainment biz artist eventually finds themselves working to leave Los Angeles, however desperate they were to get here initially. Only the youngest party animals and obscenely wealthy are the exceptions.
Thanks for this info. While I am not moving to LA, as a musician I have always wondered how other musicians handle gigging in LA.

Ok, you are a photojournalist. That explains why your posts are written with such depth and often with words that I have to go get the dictionary for ... I enjoy your writing.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:03 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie30 View Post
LOL,and she thinks she's safer in Vegas.

Crime in Vegas can be just as bad,but since most parts of Vegas is new,it creates the illusion that it appears safe,even all those colorful lights creates an illusion that the city is safe..
For one thing, the Vegas public schools actually assign kids to schools based on their gang affiliation - not even LAUSD does that!

Old 12-06-2007, 02:08 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Nobody goes outside after dark? Where was this person living?
probably South Central

Old 12-06-2007, 04:54 AM

175 posts, read 731,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
probably South Central

No, it wasn't South Central and it wasn't the rich westside area either. I will leave it at that. Stop, switching my words around. I didn't say "nobody"... I said "one doesn't"... The person stating this was a FEMALE and you are a MALE... End of discussion.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:20 PM

830 posts, read 2,861,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by music7lover View Post
This past weekend a good LA rock band played here in MN. I was talking to one of the band members who just moved to Las Vegas to buy a house. She has lived in LA for her whole life and she basically has the fear that Fastfilm talks about alot in this forum. This musician commented on the fact that her car is old and that she worries if it would break down in LA at night. Also, she stated that one does not go outside after dark....it is too dangerous. So hearing this from a lifelong LA resident, sure brings the truth home.

A coworker of mine lives in Las Vegas. They had a house in a gated community on a golf course. They had a car stolen and rims stolen off of another. There was other crime in the area too. They ended up moving because of it. How is that better than LA?

I have never felt unsafe in LA in the three years I have lived here. I am from Dallas. There were times I felt unsafe in Dallas. I frequently heard gunshots while at home. I lived in a good area just a half mile from downtown.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:05 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,876,072 times
I used to live in the L.A Area and i've never felt unsafe either,and I continue to visit L.A periodically and I still feel safe.

I've never lived in Vegas,but when you live in a City that has tons of Gambling,i'm pretty sure their are people that will do anything to get extra cash,especially if they are financially burdened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
A coworker of mine lives in Las Vegas. They had a house in a gated community on a golf course. They had a car stolen and rims stolen off of another. There was other crime in the area too. They ended up moving because of it. How is that better than LA?

I have never felt unsafe in LA in the three years I have lived here. I am from Dallas. There were times I felt unsafe in Dallas. I frequently heard gunshots while at home. I lived in a good area just a half mile from downtown.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:08 PM

15 posts, read 58,916 times
Default Why I hate LA

I don't actually, I hate rents in LA...and until they fall I will only publicize the negatives for anyone who doesn't live here now. I do not want increased competition, rent, or traffic. So until a massive Earthquake calms LA rents (A friend predicted one would shake LA this month), but whatever, until that happens or my company moves...I will refer to it as a pisshole to anyone I encounter who does not live here...and I don't count the Valley as LA...it does suck there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles