Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 01:40 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,199,992 times

Advertisements

Magic Johnson and Donald Sterling are on the opposite ends of the "admiration" spectrum for sure. Magic has done so much for others and Sterling spews bigotry. They will leave two very different legacies and examples (specifics have been shared in previous posts). Sterling has his First Amendment rights, but we have the First Amendment right to criticize his bigotry and hatred, too. It works both ways...never just one way.

BTW, I checked wikipedia and Sterling is essentially an LA native. His family moved to LA's Boyle Heights neighborhood (from Chicago) when he was only two years old. I was thinking he might be originally from another part of the country like a small southern town when I first heard this news. If many of us are honest with ourselves, I am sure I was not alone in this assumption. The hard reality is there are people like this in the year 2014 in our largest cities and in all regions.

I had actually never heard of the guy until a week or so ago. You just don't hear these types of things about owners of sports teams in major cities that often and he has definitely not called a press conference to apologize. In other words this was not something said in the heat of a moment. Sadly, this is his true nature and the fact that he has not taken it upon himself to do the classy and decent thing with an immediate apology proves it.

Then there is the supreme hypocrisy of dissing the black race that is most of his players and makes the team successful and creates the additional playoff revenue. Yes, they get paid well, but so do players on teams who have owners that are decent instead of bigots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 04:17 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,786,981 times
This doesn't surprise me one bit. People act like only people in certain parts of the country are only racist. Racist people are everywhere. They just keep in covert in most regions.

The sad part was the chick knew he was married and she put his business out in the public. Take this as a lesson men. Don't trust these chicks. Only take crazy around your male friends. Don't talk about other people around women because they will hold it against you if she gets mad at u

Old 04-27-2014, 04:42 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,389,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesScott View Post
As a person of color, I'm almost glad he made these statements. He has a Black and Mexican girlfriend which proves that White people, even when they "allow" people of color into their inner-circle are still just as racist as any other White person.

It seems as though a lot of White people's knee jerk reaction to being called a racist and "proving" they aren't is saying things like, "I have Black friends", "I've dated Black people", "I love Black people, I have Black people in my family" ... etc. Which I've always thought was a ridiculous argument, it's like saying I can't be sexist, I have a girlfriend! It's an absolutely meaningless argument.
Slave owners believed, according to " scripture", and as a matter of social order, that the blacks they owned were sub-human. That didn't stop them from forcing themselves on the females.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:46 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,389,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
This doesn't surprise me one bit. People act like only people in certain parts of the country are only racist. Racist people are everywhere. They just keep in covert in most regions.

The sad part was the chick knew he was married and she put his business out in the public. Take this as a lesson men. Don't trust these chicks. Only take crazy around your male friends. Don't talk about other people around women because they will hold it against you if she gets mad at u
I gotta believe this was an extortion attempt, that didn't work. If you listen to the tape, you can tell she was trying to elicit incriminating responses. Apparently, Sterling ( or his wife) refused to meet her price, so she called TMZ.

If my theory is correct, I wonder if the LACO DA would have the heuvos to prosecute?

Old 04-27-2014, 05:14 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,199,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
I gotta believe this was an extortion attempt, that didn't work. If you listen to the tape, you can tell she was trying to elicit incriminating responses. Apparently, Sterling ( or his wife) refused to meet her price, so she called TMZ.

If my theory is correct, I wonder if the LACO DA would have the heuvos to prosecute?
He brought the extortion attempt upon himself with his racist rants. Zero sympathy. The DA must have higher priorities and a lot more on his plate to deal with. I doubt there will be charges filed. There is enough "heat" on Sterling as it is. Hopefully, he is smart enough to realize that.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:20 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,015,571 times
Its typical stuff. White people get rich off black work but they hate them. I wonder how much of this is prevalent in other sectors of entertainment.

But this should be a wake up call that deep down rich white old businessmen in media, sports and entertainment are just as stodgy and reactionary as oil, steel and finance men. After moving out to LA I've found that the "liberalness" of the business suits here is mostly for show, even among celebs. A LOT are conservatives; whether Democrat or Republican and look after their money, status and prestige like any person of their class usually does.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:48 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,147,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesScott View Post
As a person of color, I'm almost glad he made these statements. He has a Black and Mexican girlfriend which proves that White people, even when they "allow" people of color into their inner-circle are still just as racist as any other White person.

It seems as though a lot of White people's knee jerk reaction to being called a racist and "proving" they aren't is saying things like, "I have Black friends", "I've dated Black people", "I love Black people, I have Black people in my family" ... etc. Which I've always thought was a ridiculous argument, it's like saying I can't be sexist, I have a girlfriend! It's an absolutely meaningless argument.
This post pissed me off. How dare you say all white people are racist. That is not true, I can assure you.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 04-27-2014 at 09:29 PM..

Old 04-27-2014, 10:36 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,066,008 times
the voice of the girlfriend is the biggest crime here

Old 04-28-2014, 02:31 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,247,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
the voice of the girlfriend is the biggest crime here
I don't know the girlfriend personally but I have dealt with her on a couple of occassions and from what I can see she's rude, nasty, greedy and a user.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:14 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,015,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I don't know the girlfriend personally but I have dealt with her on a couple of occassions and from what I can see she's rude, nasty, greedy and a user.
What have you that impression? The annoyibg Instagram photos or the fact that she's in her early twenties dating a 70 year old man?

Of course she's a gold digging hussie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles