Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,994 times

Advertisements

I am in the Ventura County area and just have a quick question referring to a friend of a guy I know... I know nothing about law so please forgive me if this is a stupid question but I would really appreciate an urgent response as the matter is URGENT... Thank you very much!

Scenario: A renter, rents a single bedroom in a 2 or 3 bedroom condo. The owner of the condo lives on the property and the tenant rents a bedroom that is connected to the main living area. The bedroom, while it is connected, does have locks on two doors, one leading to the living/kitchen area, and the other leading to the outside of the property. The renter is the only one with access to this bedroom and is current and compliant with all rental agreements.

Question: For whatever reason, could the owner of the condo allow law enforcenent to enter the tenants immediate living area without the tenants conscent? Regardless if by force or by key? And if not is the a oenal code or HS code that I can refer to on the matter?

Signed,
A friend of a guy I know....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 12:30 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bda714 View Post
I am in the Ventura County area and just have a quick question referring to a friend of a guy I know... I know nothing about law so please forgive me if this is a stupid question but I would really appreciate an urgent response as the matter is URGENT... Thank you very much!

Scenario: A renter, rents a single bedroom in a 2 or 3 bedroom condo. The owner of the condo lives on the property and the tenant rents a bedroom that is connected to the main living area. The bedroom, while it is connected, does have locks on two doors, one leading to the living/kitchen area, and the other leading to the outside of the property. The renter is the only one with access to this bedroom and is current and compliant with all rental agreements.

Question: For whatever reason, could the owner of the condo allow law enforcenent to enter the tenants immediate living area without the tenants conscent? Regardless if by force or by key? And if not is the a oenal code or HS code that I can refer to on the matter?

Signed,
A friend of a guy I know....
It's not the CA Penal or H&S Codes that are relevant, it's the 4th Amendment.

Police can only LEGALLY search your home under three conditions:

1) With your consent
2) With a warrant
3) Under "exigent circumstances"- that is, if they can articulate an emergency, that permitted an immediate warrant less entry and search.

Your landlord can't give police permission to search your quarters. Even if you are an adult living with your parents- paying rent or not- your PARENTS can't give police permission to search your room.

WARNING! That "exigent circumstances" thing can be pretty broadly interpreted by some courts. Contrary to popular belief, cops aren't stupid. They're actually pretty adept at finding a legal way to accomplish their goals.

Be smart- you don't want to make "case law".

Old 07-04-2014, 08:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,994 times
Quote:
It's not the CA Penal or H&S Codes that are relevant, it's the 4th Amendment.

Police can only LEGALLY search your home under three conditions:

1) With your consent
2) With a warrant
3) Under "exigent circumstances"- that is, if they can articulate an emergency, that permitted an immediate warrant less entry and search.

Your landlord can't give police permission to search your quarters. Even if you are an adult living with your parents- paying rent or not- your PARENTS can't give police permission to search your room.

WARNING! That "exigent circumstances" thing can be pretty broadly interpreted by some courts. Contrary to popular belief, cops aren't stupid. They're actually pretty adept at finding a legal way to accomplish their goals.

Be smart- you don't want to make "case law".
Gurbie,

Thank you very much for the info, sorry i was so late to get back but I really appreciate it alot. I am sure this advice will come in handy for somebody one day, also if you or if you know anyone who would be able to recommend either a good book or reading on line that would be referring to general protection of your rights? Like I see these videos of people being stopped by cops and refusing to do everything they say and by knowing certain laws or ammendments they are able to walk free without even showing them their ID.... or is this just a matter of studyhing the constitution and amendments and law in your state? I am looking for like "a dummies guide to the political approach to staying out of jail...: haha Anyway thank you very much for the info and if you could help with the way to go about my next goal to learn these things thanks again, if not no worries you have already been most helpful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles