Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2013, 04:22 AM

5 posts, read 8,022 times

Advertisements

Hey!
Dan and I moved to NH a few months ago from VT where it was pretty simple to find out your rights as a renter

We've got a landlord who basically ignores requests for repairs on our apt. which is one of four in a big old house. He's only fixed one thing that was a fire hazard and that took 4 requests.

My question is where do I find out if the property had to have railings and working heaters?

When we moved in this wasn't a problem because it was Spring but now Winter is coming and we have to have a rail because of the ice and snow and the heater in one room function.

I have a child who is not steady on her feet from a slight disability and a large dog who pulls me down the stairs.

We've tried not to hassle the landlord but he's really turned out to be a jerk about a lot of things I don't want to document here.

Now I am going to find out my rights because of these things he has totally refused to fix.

Do I start on the town level or call somewhere in Concord?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 04:55 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
You found a landlord that allows a dog?

Best to hold onto this rental as few accept dogs for liability reasons.

Did you do due diligence in checking all of the "issues" you are now finding before you moved in?

If you are having "issues" with this rental then move on and find a place that meets all of your requirements.

From the little you have stated this rental situation does not seem to be working.

Just move on and be done with it.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:01 AM

I know...the dog thing can be a hassle.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:09 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
OP, do the other tenants (you said it's a fourplex?) have the same issues?

I don't think you should have to move. Can't quite see the logic in that. "Your landlord was nice enough to allow a dog, so if you have other issues with him like no heat, you should just leave." (And I say this as a landlord!)

The code enforcement person in your town should know the rules about the things you mentioned. If there's no listing for that person, call the town clerk and ask who handles code issues. Good luck!

Old 09-24-2013, 05:38 AM

Thanks Karen.

We have been here over 6 months as good tenants paying on time. We keep to ourselves, do not destroy property and ALWAYS pick up after our pooch. We try to fit in and be quiet and respect the neighborhood.

We only ask for repairs when it is necessary because he doesn't want to be bothered, except on rent day!

Right now I am thinking we will probably move ASAP because the LL has just moved in a very loud and rough family next door who scream obscenities at each other at all hours of the night and day. They are not the type I want to be around because of their lifestyle that is negative.

I wish LANDLORDS would get it and respect the good tenants and be a little more selective who they move in.

Oh well, his loss.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:00 AM

830 posts, read 1,538,664 times
This will be governed by NH Housing Standards, with perhaps stricter requirements at city level. It does look like you should have recourse for the broken heater, if the heat coming from other rooms doesn't keep the room with the broken heater at 65 degrees. (Practically speaking... the broken heater, while annoying, may not be a problem. Heaters in other rooms will provide heat, and you will absorb heat from other apartments. This is still something I wouldn't want to deal with, though.) It's not clear whether lack of a railing, rather than existence of a structurally-unsound one, is covered. Still, as a tenant, you should do your due diligence. You had to have at least known, moving in, that you needed railings for safety reasons, and that the railing was non-existent. Why not move on, or ask for it upfront and move on if denied? Why move in and then make demands for things you should have known about when you signed your lease?

Section 48-A:14 Minimum Standards Established.

48-A:14 Minimum Standards Established. – No landlord, as defined by RSA 540-A:1, I, renting or leasing a residential dwelling in a municipality which has not adopted ordinances, codes or bylaws pursuant to this chapter shall maintain those rented premises in a condition in which:

I. The premises are infested by insects and rodents where the landlord is not conducting a periodic inspection and eradication program;
[Paragraph I-a effective January 1, 2014.]

I-a. The premises are infested by bed bugs and the landlord is not conducting a periodic inspection and remediation program. In this paragraph "remediation'' means action taken by the landlord that substantially reduces the presence of bed bugs in a dwelling unit for a period of at least 60 days;
II. There is defective internal plumbing or a back-up of sewage caused by a faulty septic or sewage system;
III. There are exposed wires, improper connectors, defective switches or outlets or other conditions which create a danger of electrical shock or fire;
IV. The roof or walls leak consistently;
V. The plaster is falling or has fallen from the walls or ceilings;
VI. The floors, walls or ceilings contain substantial holes that seriously reduce their function or render them dangerous to the inhabitants;
VII. The porches, stairs or railings are not structurally sound;
VIII. There is an accumulation of garbage or rubbish in common areas resulting from the failure of the landlord to remove or provide a sufficient number of receptacles for storage prior to removal unless the tenant has agreed to be responsible for removal under the rental agreement and the landlord has removed all garbage at the beginning of the tenancy;
IX. There is an inadequate supply of water or whatever equipment that is available to heat water is not properly operating;
X. There are leaks in any gas lines or leaks or defective pilot lights in any appliances furnished by the landlord; or
XI. The premises do not have heating facilities that are properly installed, safely maintained and in good working condition, or are not capable of safely and adequately heating all habitable rooms, bathrooms and toilet rooms located therein, to a temperature of at least an average of 65 degrees F.; or, when the landlord supplies heat in consideration for the rent, the premises are not actually maintained at a minimum average room temperature of 65 degrees F. in all habitable rooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire