Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 03:22 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post
Others who have money generally don't live in central LA.
You got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 03:27 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Try: Stand and Deliver
Jaime Escalante's teaching job in East L.A. at Garfield High School.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:34 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,489,233 times
Do NOT move to those hipster neighborhoods.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:36 PM

371 posts, read 426,144 times
Beverly Hills looks solidly middle class in my opinion. Potomac, MD and Bethesda, MD look. WAAAY better than Beverly Hills. What's the hype over Beverly Hills? It looks like any suburban neighborhood in the United States except with palm trees. There aren't any futuristic buildings, and on top of that they have neighborhoods and streets that look run down too. Californians may be upset when I say this but Los Angeles looks like a developing nation. You have an epicenter of a rich area, say encino or burbank (which actually look middle class comparing it to other cities), and all around the rich cities are dirt roads, shanti towns, and vacant businesses. LA's dirt roads are those alleys with trash everywhere (I've seen some in beverly hills), LA's shanti towns are those one level condos that have gates as garages that you find in Africa, and LA's vacant businesses are vacant businesses, which you find everywhere.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:46 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,993,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diallomacedo View Post
Beverly Hills looks solidly middle class in my opinion. Potomac, MD and Bethesda, MD look. WAAAY better than Beverly Hills. What's the hype over Beverly Hills? It looks like any suburban neighborhood in the United States except with palm trees. There aren't any futuristic buildings, and on top of that they have neighborhoods and streets that look run down too. Californians may be upset when I say this but Los Angeles looks like a developing nation. You have an epicenter of a rich area, say encino or burbank (which actually look middle class comparing it to other cities), and all around the rich cities are dirt roads, shanti towns, and vacant businesses. LA's dirt roads are those alleys with trash everywhere (I've seen some in beverly hills), LA's shanti towns are those one level condos that have gates as garages that you find in Africa, and LA's vacant businesses are vacant businesses, which you find everywhere.

Where are there run down streets in Beverly Hills? Serious question. Encino or Burbank are "rich areas" now? Did you just hang out in the Valley? I mean, there are def poor parts of LA, but you seem like you don't know very much if you think that Beverly Hills...like the actual hills above DT Beverly Hills look anything close to Maryland. Does Maryland have anything that look like Palisades, or Santa Moncia, or Manhattan Beach? Or maybe your just a troll. i don't really know.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:53 PM

513 posts, read 914,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Where are there run down streets in Beverly Hills? Serious question. Encino or Burbank are "rich areas" now? Did you just hang out in the Valley? I mean, there are def poor parts of LA, but you seem like you don't know very much if you think that Beverly Hills...like the actual hills above DT Beverly Hills look anything close to Maryland. Does Maryland have anything that look like Palisades, or Santa Moncia, or Manhattan Beach? Or maybe your just a troll. i don't really know.
The answer is no. There is nothing in Maryland that looks like Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Palisades or Manhattan Beach. He has no idea what he's talking about.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:55 PM

I'm speaking from an economic development point of view. I think that Chevy Chase, Maryland looks more economically developed than Beverly Hills, CA. They're both very nice areas. I exaggerated before when I said Beverly Hills looks solidly middle class, in reality it looks middle to upper middle class, with spots of multi million dollar buildings/homes. Los Angeles is the best place in the world but as a whole it doesn't look as developed as other comparable cities in the United States. There are too many poor neighborhoods and too many vacant businesses.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:04 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Quote:
Beverly Hills looks solidly middle class in my opinion. Potomac, MD and Bethesda, MD look. WAAAY better than Beverly Hills. What's the hype over Beverly Hills? It looks like any suburban neighborhood in the United States except with palm trees.
The better houses in BH cannot be seen from the street.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:07 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,993,497 times
Quote:
I'm speaking from an economic development point of view. I think that Chevy Chase, Maryland looks more economically developed than Beverly Hills, CA. They're both very nice areas. I exaggerated before when I said Beverly Hills looks solidly middle class, in reality it looks middle to upper middle class, with spots of multi million dollar buildings/homes. Los Angeles is the best place in the world but as a whole it doesn't look as developed as other comparable cities in the United States. There are too many poor neighborhoods and too many vacant businesses.
every large city on earth have depressed areas. NYC, CHI, DC, Miami...Not sure how you could argue that any of those cities as a whole are any different. Difference is that cities that have centrally located business districts do a better job at aggregating the nicest parts. I'm sorry but you don't sound very traveled.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:47 PM

I beg to disagree. Los Angeles is poorer (dsitribution of wealth per capita) and has greater income inequality than its comparable cities nyc, london, tokyo, and this is seen through looking at the ciry in street view. Im pretty well travelled, I've been to madrid, lisbon, seville, accra (ghana), monrovia (liberia), all over the united states plus more; that is why I can make these claims. You proved it yourswlf that Los Angeles has 27% of people in poverty and you can see that while walking around, sorry that ithe ruggedness seeps through in beverly hills, encino, burbank, and orange county hahaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles