Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 09:18 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,997,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diallomacedo View Post
Where is L.A. on this list?

The 25 Most Economically Powerful Cities in the World - CityLab

It looks like it wouldn't be on this list lol.
What? We have the 3rd highest GDP in the WORLD

You clearly don't have any clue what you are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 06:27 PM

371 posts, read 426,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
What? We have the 3rd highest GDP in the WORLD

You clearly don't have any clue what you are talking about.
YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING GO TAKE AN ECON COURSE. GDP means nothing, go look at GDP per capita. Thats why even though China has a high gdp it is still considered a developing nation. THAT BEING SAID. LA still looks like a developing nation. For example, in no other city can you drive for an hour and still be in the GHETTO. Also you can tell the poverty by the cars. There are teslas, yes, but there are A LOT of people that are driving cars under $2000 (and you just dont see that in the dc md va area anymore).

My theory of LAs development is that since LA is a fairly new city it is still going through the construction stage. They are still building LA, that is why it sometimes looks bare and desolate. Where as cities like DC or Madrid, Spain have been around for so long that they're passed the construction stage and are in the renovation stage. So there is a lot of flipping old houses into modern entities, and things related to this. I had a friend, la native, visit DC and she said that LA just has poor city planning.

Irvine is the closest thing that LA has in terms of development, but it's funny because every city's nice areas look like Irvine or better.

I made this post because I was shocked at all the poverty in LA, and the nonchalantness about a college education from the 18-22 y/o's. Why are people just starting their careers at 28 makes no sense to me.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:34 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,637,395 times
Quote:
YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING GO TAKE AN ECON COURSE. GDP means nothing, go look at GDP per capita. Thats why even though China has a high gdp it is still considered a developing nation. THAT BEING SAID. LA still looks like a developing nation. For example, in no other city can you drive for an hour and still be in the GHETTO.
Limiting this to US cities: Atlanta, DC, Detroit, Chicago...

Irvine is the closest thing that LA has in terms of development, but it's funny because every city's nice areas look like Irvine or better.
.[/quote]

Irvine as an example of good city planning? Irvine's an example of everything that went wrong with suburbia in the last third of the 20th century. Sprawl city.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:20 PM

Come on now admit that Irvine looks nice. In DC/MD/VA we used to have shopping centers that looked like the ones in LA (ugly plastic signs), a row of 8-10 shops off of a main street, but they have renovated that in the past 20 years to shopping centres and brick signs instead of plastic. I am wondering what happened to California in the last 24 years. It seems that other cities have renovated itself but when I visit LA I feel like Im in 1990. I see the developing slowly happening, but its definitely behind for a world class city.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:28 PM

Culver city looks like booty except for fox hills mall. Beverly hills looks alright. I really like burbank, that is what I thought all of LA mimicked before I moved here. That one street in downtown looks okay, sort of close to the staples center. Some parts of santa monica look good, but beach cities in general look older. Marina del rey looks alright. Glendale can look nice, but some streets look vacant. Long beach does not look good at all. Hollywood looks good for what it is, its kept clean because its a tourist attraction. However, I see nothing that pops, that signifies "oh Im in La" from an architectural point of view, besides the cool looking highway.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:34 PM

LA got #10, I knew I wasn't the only one who felt like this hahaha.

THE TOP 10 UGLIEST CITIES IN THE WORLD

Old 10-03-2014, 07:53 PM

https://flic.kr/p/5g2pJS

Ugly lol.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:05 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,435,562 times
This is starting to read as trollishly immature.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:17 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,882,537 times
Quote:
Cool photo series actually. And what exactly is wrong with you?

Old 10-04-2014, 01:45 PM

242 posts, read 500,080 times
great photos!! i cannot wait to move to los angeles.
it seems to me to be a mixture of an older new york city(west side and village) and an older miami beach. i love all that oldness!! has lots of character and history.
los angeles is an old city and you must have an appreciation of it to love it.
i have not been to los angeles in decades but my best friends live there, or used to.
personally, the main reasons i am moving to la are the weather,history and the distinct character of the surrounding cities.
i used to live in tokyo and that is such a modern city. i always loved the areas outside of tokyo though, the old areas with the quaint shops and homes.
i love old!! different strokes for different folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles