Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2014, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,036 times

Advertisements

My gf and I are looking to relocate to LA area. Her job will be in West Hollywood area and mine in Santa Ana. What is the best mid point to ease both of our commutes.

We've heard downtown or Long Beach. We did not like Long Beach much when we visited and the commute to West Hollywood seemed pretty bad.

Any suggestions? We would like an area that is pretty safe and has plenty of things to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 11:04 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,827,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worlddownunder View Post
My gf and I are looking to relocate to LA area. Her job will be in West Hollywood area and mine in Santa Ana. What is the best mid point to ease both of our commutes.

We've heard downtown or Long Beach. We did not like Long Beach much when we visited and the commute to West Hollywood seemed pretty bad.

Any suggestions? We would like an area that is pretty safe and has plenty of things to do.
You'll want to be closer to West Hollywood. Torrance / North Redondo is about 50 minutes to both location. DLTA may be fun if you are into the city stuff.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:59 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,339,564 times
I always advise in these cases, where a couple has jobs very far apart, that you accommodate one person and the other deals with the commute. If you try somewhere "midway" like Downtown or Long Beach, you're just in for two unpleasant commutes. If you lived in WeHo or Santa Ana, at least one of you has a great commute and the other will have an awful one.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:24 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,795,187 times
hollywood is very hard because it's in the heart of the city area, gots to navigate all that street traffic..ugh

maybe downtown cause you're going against traffic to Santa ANa. i wouldnt venture much further from hollyweird

long term it's not good

Old 08-29-2014, 10:35 AM

451 posts, read 566,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post
hollywood is very hard because it's in the heart of the city area, gots to navigate all that street traffic..ugh

maybe downtown cause you're going against traffic to Santa ANa. i wouldnt venture much further from hollyweird

long term it's not good
Yup. This is a bad situation long term. You could not have chosen a worse place than West Hollywood because there is no freeway that runs through it. You'll have to take the streets at some point.

I would agree that DTLA is probably your best option. Morning commutes into Santa Ana might not be too bad as you'll be looking at 45mins - 90mins depending on traffic. Conversely, the commute to/from WeHo should be 30/45 mins. However, afternoon commute from Santa Ana -> DTLA is going to be rough. Very rough. You'll be looking at, at least, 90 min commutes.

With Long Beach however you will have to deal with the 405 in the morning and afternoon. Don't know about Long Beach <--> Santa Ana (morning/afternoon) but Long Beach <--> WeHo is going to be very rough in the morning and the afternoon.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:52 AM

7,227 posts, read 22,266,749 times
i'd go with downtown LA and look into the metrolink schedule for getting to santa ana.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:04 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,838,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latino_esq View Post
Yup. This is a bad situation long term. You could not have chosen a worse place than West Hollywood because there is no freeway that runs through it. You'll have to take the streets at some point.

I would agree that DTLA is probably your best option. Morning commutes into Santa Ana might not be too bad as you'll be looking at 45mins - 90mins depending on traffic. Conversely, the commute to/from WeHo should be 30/45 mins. However, afternoon commute from Santa Ana -> DTLA is going to be rough. Very rough. You'll be looking at, at least, 90 min commutes.

With Long Beach however you will have to deal with the 405 in the morning and afternoon. Don't know about Long Beach <--> Santa Ana (morning/afternoon) but Long Beach <--> WeHo is going to be very rough in the morning and the afternoon.
As someone who lives in West Hollywood, taking the side streets is preferred over the freeway. Especially considering the main entrances to the 101 and 405 cause some of the most congested streets in LA. Easy to avoid when you take side streets.

OP, don't live in DTLA. I would live in West Hollywood or Santa Ana, whichever job has more flexible hours and you can try to drive in non rush-hour times.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:34 AM

671 posts, read 1,195,858 times
AS BRinSm says, see if the Santa Ana job is close to the Santa Ana Amtrak/Metrolink. If so, many people take trains opposite commute, meaning people take trains OUT of downtown LA to suburbs in the morning and reverse in the afternoons. The only catch is there are fewer trains running opposite commute, but they are there and quite a few people take them. Downtown could be a good location because that is close to Union Station for Metrolink and Amtrak trains and getting to West Hollywood from downtown is actually not that bad if you use the correct streets such as 6th street.

Check on this website: metrolinktrain-dot-com
and here for MTA: mta-dot-net-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles