Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 01:33 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Marriage is overrated. To say the least. But by all means --
Tax benefits. Other afforded rights single people don't have, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 03:54 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,671,420 times
Quote:
Marriage is overrated. To say the least. But by all means --
1100 (really, 1100) federal benefits married couples enjoy. He will bring home considerably more on his paychecks due to less taxation. He also won't be taxed on my health and dental benefits I receive through his company anymore, which is also a couple hundred of bucks a month. It adds up, especially out here.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:36 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
You can start your marriage license application online in Orange County, & have a civil ceremony at the county offices in Laguna Hills. I know someone who did this. Check out Orange County's online info., they made it simple. Best wishes for a happy marriage!

Old 11-15-2014, 06:19 AM

21,739 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
Tax benefits. Other afforded rights single people don't have, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
1100 (really, 1100) federal benefits married couples enjoy. He will bring home considerably more on his paychecks due to less taxation. He also won't be taxed on my health and dental benefits I receive through his company anymore, which is also a couple hundred of bucks a month. It adds up, especially out here.
So you are "marrying for money"? Sounds like it.

Yes. I know all about those "benefits".
Do you know how expensive / complex / torturous divorce is?
No, I have never been divorced. Because I'm too smart to get married and find out.
But by all means -- it couldn't happen to you. Just to 50% of "other" marriages. To say nothing of about half the marriages that don't, but suffer miserably because it's too expensive / complex / torturous to divorce.

Marriage is a bullshirt relic of religious fantasy. Love requires no formal pact or ritual other than natural caring / concern / affection. Why screw that up ?

But by all means, knock yourselves out.

Oh and best wishes!
Really

Old 11-15-2014, 01:43 PM

221 posts, read 347,735 times
I've been divorced and am remarried. Divorce without children and if you don't have a ton of assets (or if you have a pre-nup), and particularly if you both agree it's for the best, isn't that hard or torturous. It's a bunch of pain-in-the-behind paperwork and about $400, and you can fill out your own forms on LegalZoom if you don't mind spending some time figuring out which boxes to check.

As a middle class person, after DOMA went away, marriage saved us $400/month in taxes plus the health benefits. That significantly reduces financial stress, one of the leading causes of divorce. If you plan to have/adopt children, marriage significantly assists in making the legal arrangements around their care clear.

Whether a relic or not, our society is built around marriage as an economic, legal, and social institution. It's not necessary for love, but it sure makes the legality of cooperative care of children, inheritance, taxes, and a variety of other social-economic issues a whole lot easier.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsart View Post
I've been divorced and am remarried. Divorce without children and if you don't have a ton of assets (or if you have a pre-nup), and particularly if you both agree it's for the best, isn't that hard or torturous. It's a bunch of pain-in-the-behind paperwork and about $400, and you can fill out your own forms on LegalZoom if you don't mind spending some time figuring out which boxes to check.

As a middle class person, after DOMA went away, marriage saved us $400/month in taxes plus the health benefits. That significantly reduces financial stress, one of the leading causes of divorce. If you plan to have/adopt children, marriage significantly assists in making the legal arrangements around their care clear.

Whether a relic or not, our society is built around marriage as an economic, legal, and social institution. It's not necessary for love, but it sure makes the legality of cooperative care of children, inheritance, taxes, and a variety of other social-economic issues a whole lot easier.
Congratulations on your amicable divorce. Unfortunately you are a minority.

Old 11-15-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
So you are "marrying for money"? Sounds like it.

Yes. I know all about those "benefits".
Do you know how expensive / complex / torturous divorce is?
No, I have never been divorced. Because I'm too smart to get married and find out.
But by all means -- it couldn't happen to you. Just to 50% of "other" marriages. To say nothing of about half the marriages that don't, but suffer miserably because it's too expensive / complex / torturous to divorce.

Marriage is a bullshirt relic of religious fantasy. Love requires no formal pact or ritual other than natural caring / concern / affection. Why screw that up ?

But by all means, knock yourselves out.

Oh and best wishes!
Really

Bitter much?

I'm NOT marrying for money. Neither of us are wealthy.

We are a perfect couple, haven't ever had one single fight, argument, or even disagreement since we got together 2 years ago. When it's the right person, you just know. I grew up in The South where you don't have this option, so darn right we are gonna take advantage of it! California taxes are the spawn of hell, so why not get some back??

I am in agreement with you the love requires no formal pact, and especially that it's not about religion, etc. etc., but considering we will have roughly $1,000 more in income per month once it's done....um, why not? It ain't cheap to live out here!

If you don't have a boy/girlfriend and/or never wanna get married, more power to ya. But there's no need to be rude.

Last edited by Mister 7; 11-15-2014 at 04:06 PM..

Old 11-15-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Bitter much?

I'm NOT marrying for money. Neither of us are wealthy.

We are a perfect couple, haven't ever had one single fight, argument, or even disagreement since we got together 2 years ago. When it's the right person, you just know. I grew up in The South where you don't have this option, so darn right we are gonna take advantage of it! California taxes are the spawn of hell, so why not get some back??

I am in agreement with you the love requires no formal pact, and especially that it's not about religion, etc. etc., but considering we will have roughly $1,000 more in income per month once it's done....um, why not? It ain't cheap to live out here!

If you don't have a boy/girlfriend and/or never wanna get married, more power to ya. But there's no need to be rude.
Two whole years, huh? Wow!

Naw. Not bitter. About what?
Rude? Listen kid, I meant it when I wished you well.

I've been in two long-term relationships. One of them certainly quite a bit longer than you've been alive. And that ended with love on both sides. T'other I'm still sorta in. We are both very independent of each other. Yet bound by love as well.

Now you run along and enjoy your extra money, hear?
Damn sure are getting married for money. You just restated it:
Quote:
love requires no formal pact, and especially that it's not about religion, etc. etc., but considering we will have roughly $1,000 more in income per month once it's done... Um why not?

Old 11-18-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Two whole years, huh? Wow!
Your point? Who are you to judge peoples' relationships and lengths of time before they tie the knot?

Quote:
. Listen kid, I meant it when I wished you well.
Gee, thanks.

Quote:
been in two long-term relationships. One of them certainly quite a bit longer than you've been alive. And that ended with love on both sides. T'other I'm still sorta in. We are both very independent of each other. Yet bound by love as well.
Well, if that's worked out for you, more power to ya. BTW you have no idea how old I am. I'm most definitely not a "kid." Your condescension is beyond obnoxious.

Quote:
Now you run along and enjoy your extra money, hear?
Damn sure are getting married for money. You just restated it:
We will enjoy having a grand extra in the bank every month, yes. WTF is wrong with that? CA taxes are out of this world, and it would be nice to get something back. But, ultimately, we are getting married because we love each other and the fact that it's legal here. IDK why you can't get that into your head. We would get married back home if it were legal and there would be NO tax advantages, for example.

I've said my piece. Be happier for people and don't accuse them for being greedy, etc. just because they look at one of the advantages of marriage as saving a CONSIDERABLE amount of money. There's much more to it than that.

Last edited by Mister 7; 11-18-2014 at 03:34 PM..

Old 11-18-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Your point? Who are you to judge peoples' relationships and lengths of time before they tie the knot?
I didn't. I judged your certainty, after such a short time.

Quote:
Gee, thanks.
You're very welcome. Many happy returns.

Quote:
Well, if that's worked out for you, more power to ya. BTW you have no idea how old I am. I'm most definitely not a "kid." Your condescension is beyond obnoxious.
If it's full of romantic certainty like a kid, and impetuously defensive like a kid, it is a kid.

Quote:
We will enjoy having a grand extra in the bank every month, yes. WTF is wrong with that? CA taxes are out of this world, and it would be nice to get something back. But, ultimately, we are getting married because we love each other and the fact that it's legal here. IDK why you can't get that into your head. We would get married back home if it were legal and there would be NO tax advantages, for example.

I've said my piece. Be happier for people and don't accuse them for being greedy, etc. just because they look at one of the advantages of marriage as saving a CONSIDERABLE amount of money. There's much more to it than that.
Well, there you go. You protest that you are getting married to benefit financially AND because you are in love. And that was my point before: love doesn't require marriage. Marriage is a vestige of religious fantasy and reveals a desire for acceptance and validation from others to overcome uncertainty and insecurity.

Or it's about money.
Or about both.

Btw: I never accused you of being greedy. I posted my opinion that getting married for financial benefit - as you have repeatedly stated as your reason - proves, more than 50% of the time - to be a false economy. Ask the majority of people who have been divorced.

Best wishes again on your upcoming nuptials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles