Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 09:39 AM

128 posts, read 435,586 times

Advertisements

Hi! Recently moved from CT, my 90 days are almost up, gotta switch over that drivers license I guess. Finally got the plates switched.

Anyway, my question is: when i go to the DPS, will I get a new license the same day? REason I ask is...everywhere I've ever lived, you walk out of the building w/your new license. My parents live outside DAllas and they told me they have never gotten their license the same day, it could take 2-4 weeks by mail. This seems crazy to me...everywhere I go and use my credit card, even the post office, makes me show my license. Will all these places really accept some print out w/o a photo when I go to charge something if I don't have my actual license yet??

Thanks!

Oh, and if i matters, we live in Cibolo....so would either be going to the New Braunfels or Universal City one..not sure which is closer to our house yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 09:46 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,981,665 times
Nope, not in Texas. You'll get a temporary paper license with your picture on it, that's it. The new one will come in the mail in about 30-60 days. But fear not, the paper license works as everyone knows that's how the system works here.

I agree it's weird, we were Florida residents when we retired from the military here; and we've never been to a state where you don't walk out with a new drivers license!

Regardless, welcome to Texas!

Cheers! M2

Old 10-21-2010, 09:49 AM

128 posts, read 435,586 times
Thanks MajorMadMax, you have helped me out before

Well, as long as you assure me the paper one will do, I will surrender my old one. My parent's didn't have a photo on theirs and still had to show another credit card with their siggie on it. But it was several years ago when they moved here.

Loving it here so far!

Old 10-21-2010, 10:02 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
I very seldom get asked for ID with a credit card. I use a credit card for everything anymore. Unless you have a foreign, that is not typical Texas card, you should be able to get by with a paper temporary license. People know what the paper license is and will honor it.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:07 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,981,665 times
No problem, it was a bit discerning when I handed over my Florida drivers license only to get back a piece of paper (which back in 2006 didn't even have a photo on it!). But later that same day I was able to purchase a pistol at Sportsman's Warehouse using it (and my retired military ID) so I figured everyone knew how things worked.

My wife recently lost her drivers license and her temporary one had a picture on it, so I guess they've "upgraded;" but I agree with you, I don't see why they can't just issue the license when and where you apply for it!

When we returned from Germany in 1999, both my wife and I needed new Florida drivers licenses since our old ones had expired while we were overseas. We went to the local DMV office and about 30 minutes later walked out with our new ones.

I guess it's just not a priority for the state, or it may be that way to help curtail the chance of illegal issue of licenses here. Either way, it's no big deal.

And I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your new home. We still love it here as well. I was in southern Germany last week (the Bavarian Alps), which is probably my most favorite place in the world; but I still was happy to get back to San Antonio. This is a great place to live, and you can't beat the weather right now!

Cheers! M2

Old 10-21-2010, 10:18 AM

993 posts, read 2,490,341 times
When did they start putting pictures on the temporary paper license? I haven't seen one yet.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:22 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,731,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
When did they start putting pictures on the temporary paper license? I haven't seen one yet.
Me either

Old 10-21-2010, 10:24 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,205,935 times
I've never had to give up my old license.
I just re-newed in May and they didn't keep my old one

It was funny though, the lady at the office made me take my picture four times. I didn't smile so she took another one and told me to smile. I thought this was strange and asked her about it, she said that since I had smiled in my old one that I needed to smile in my new one. She said that I needed to look like I did in the old one and I told her that was 8 years ago and I've aged since then . I just thought it was weird

Old 10-21-2010, 10:25 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,205,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post

I re-newed in May and it had my picture on it.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:58 AM

44 posts, read 219,857 times
Glad they added the picture onto it since you need a government issued picture id for flying. Last year they didn't have the pic and I had to travel the next day. Thankfully I had a passport or I would have been out of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio