Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 12:41 PM

822 posts, read 1,285,523 times

Advertisements

Their understanding of tech is limited to Facebook or their iPod or Android. But ask most of these people to buy a Kindle book and they run. Heck the average adult in El A can't even speak properly (ebonics, heavy foreign accent, Anglo-Saxons with poor vocabularies, etc.). It runs the gamut. How can you have high expectations for their offspring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 01:25 PM

399 posts, read 407,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Force big business to cut prices so people can afford their crap. That includes greedy landlords who double rent at the first sign of rich google yuppie. Also, force Google and companies like that to cut salary and give back to the community... their employees are paid far too well
You serious, dude? While I know that most of these tech-industry types are socially awkward geeks with girlfriends they picked up on their latest Asian trip, at least they're contributing something. They make money and they spend money. That's good for everyone, even those who aren't making six-figure tech salaries.

What you're proposing is a full on communist state. Force Google to give up their profits? Force Google's workers to give up their salaries? Force landlords to cut their rents? Why? For who? How about forcing lazy people and those without valuable skills to step their game up or GTFO? Why cater to the lowest common denominator and bring everyone down to the most pathetic sap's level when we can raise the bar and let people earn their worth?

If you're being priced out of these areas you can either better yourself with skills and traits that are valued or you can leave. You don't have the right or the power to tell anyone how much they deserve to earn. That's just sour grapes.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:44 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,312,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
You serious, dude? While I know that most of these tech-industry types are socially awkward geeks with girlfriends they picked up on their latest Asian trip, at least they're contributing something. They make money and they spend money. That's good for everyone, even those who aren't making six-figure tech salaries.

What you're proposing is a full on communist state. Force Google to give up their profits? Force Google's workers to give up their salaries? Force landlords to cut their rents? Why? For who? How about forcing lazy people and those without valuable skills to step their game up or GTFO? Why cater to the lowest common denominator and bring everyone down to the most pathetic sap's level when we can raise the bar and let people earn their worth?

If you're being priced out of these areas you can either better yourself with skills and traits that are valued or you can leave. You don't have the right or the power to tell anyone how much they deserve to earn. That's just sour grapes.
Google employees are lazy. You think the people struggling with 2 or 3 jobs and can't afford rent are lazy? You have a bunch of out of state yuppie douchebags coming in and forcing natives out. Even with rent control, a lot of landlords find ways to get out the poor people. It happened in Santa Monica, it happened in Venice, now it's going to happen to Del Rey of all places!

Old 12-05-2014, 02:56 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,832,156 times
Quote:
Google employees are lazy. You think the people struggling with 2 or 3 jobs and can't afford rent are lazy? You have a bunch of out of state yuppie douchebags coming in and forcing natives out. Even with rent control, a lot of landlords find ways to get out the poor people. It happened in Santa Monica, it happened in Venice, now it's going to happen to Del Rey of all places!
Did Google kill your dog or something?

I'm curious where you're getting this extremely biased information from. How do you know Google employees are lazy? And even if they are, they are still providing quality services for you to use for free. Just because you don't understand technology as evident from your prior posts or what people at Google actually do, doesn't make them lazy. Google has a very high hiring bar due to the strength of the brand name, the pay & perks, and the very positive work culture. They're one of the best companies to work for in the world. Google consistently tops Fortune's best companies in the world for a reason.

You seem to think being a native of Los Angeles makes you better than those from out of state, when in reality it just makes you incapable of adapting and sparking growth within yourself. When every single person in the post is giving you different reasons why you are wrong, it might be time to start listening and educating yourself. Denying Angelenos a chance to work for a great company because you want to live in Santa Monica and the rent is too high already, is a poor excuse.

Your parents having sex in this state doesn't entitle you to benefits you don't work towards achieving.

Edit: If that comes off harsh, I worked hard to move to Los Angeles and I worked hard to get a great job. Everyone else who wants it, should work just as hard to compete.

Last edited by bpeeps; 12-05-2014 at 03:11 PM..

Old 12-05-2014, 03:18 PM

127 posts, read 156,519 times
Quote:

I have never understood why people (like you) believe that someone who does not own a piece of property is entitled to use it perpetuity and not have their rent go up. I just dont get it and never have and my family and I moved countless times through out my life for those reasons and I still do not see the issue with it.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:36 PM

496 posts, read 574,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
"MOAR JOBZZZ!" Isn't that what you guys are always crying for - Corporate America to throw you a bone? Now that you hear about Google moving in and creating thousands of new jobs in the LA area from tech industry to service to construction to administration... now you're STILL complaining. The constant whining never ends with liberals. You should be kissing Google's feet and doing whatever it takes to get them over here. THAT'S what prosperous cities and states do. Well-paying jobs and a solid tax base is what will save the city, not more taxes and handouts.
yes!

Old 12-05-2014, 05:05 PM

496 posts, read 574,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
There are rumors Apple is eyeing space in downtown LA. But that is just speculation/rumor until a deal (if any) is inked.

Some of these firms have so much cash to burn you wonder if what they plan to build here will last.....
yes! I have heard that apple is interested! I kind of believe it because DTLA is super hot right now and there is so much space for mass employment if a company is ready to invest in that way.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:16 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,312,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
Did Google kill your dog or something?

I'm curious where you're getting this extremely biased information from. How do you know Google employees are lazy? And even if they are, they are still providing quality services for you to use for free. Just because you don't understand technology as evident from your prior posts or what people at Google actually do, doesn't make them lazy. Google has a very high hiring bar due to the strength of the brand name, the pay & perks, and the very positive work culture. They're one of the best companies to work for in the world. Google consistently tops Fortune's best companies in the world for a reason.

You seem to think being a native of Los Angeles makes you better than those from out of state, when in reality it just makes you incapable of adapting and sparking growth within yourself. When every single person in the post is giving you different reasons why you are wrong, it might be time to start listening and educating yourself. Denying Angelenos a chance to work for a great company because you want to live in Santa Monica and the rent is too high already, is a poor excuse.

Your parents having sex in this state doesn't entitle you to benefits you don't work towards achieving.

Edit: If that comes off harsh, I worked hard to move to Los Angeles and I worked hard to get a great job. Everyone else who wants it, should work just as hard to compete.
You and GOogle employees didn't work all that hard. You don't work all that hard for a white collar cushy job. You just get lucky. It's luck of the draw. That's all it is. Not smarter, not better, not more hard working.

Google will bring in 2500 a month studio apartments, $20 hamburgers, and more congestion and traffic than you could imagine

Old 12-05-2014, 06:48 PM

399 posts, read 407,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_elise_ View Post
yes! I have heard that apple is interested! I kind of believe it because DTLA is super hot right now and there is so much space for mass employment if a company is ready to invest in that way.
But then rents will go up and all those Salvadoreños in Westlake living three families to an apartment will be priced out. How inhumane!

Old 12-05-2014, 06:50 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,417,985 times
Now for the second act ... the aerospace comeback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles